Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Sportjon Wish List

Default Phantom Sportjon Wish List

I'm considering the purchase of a new phantom sportjon. Just wandering if anyone out there that owns one could provide some feedback on what options you'd recommend on the boat. I.E. Air Ride seats, fuel capacity vs storage capacity. I'm considering the Switchback model/center console. Any pros/cons to this design for up here in Alaska?

I've got a center console that I just turned into a Switchback. I kind of tweaked mine as it started out life as a Sniper. I left the console/switchback further back in the boat for more storage room up front. I absolutely love the boat.

They guys at Phantom are great to work with. I was just down there a couple weeks ago and previewed their new boats. They look fantastic. It looks like they may go with the thicker bottom standard with their new structure.

As far as a options, I would say a 40 gallon tank is a must. And I would go with the Hardkor bottom if you planned to beat the boat up. I guess you need to ask yourself what you want to do in the boat and go from there. They can do anything you dream up.

I've got a bunch of pics of mine and just added a bunch of options to the boat in Clarkston. Let me know if you want more details.

If it doesn't already have a Smartcraft gauge, that would be my first purchase.

High skrew impeller is a must...and stainless wear ring. uhmvw bottom, top, 40 gallon fuel tank, Smart craft gauge mabye,

+1 on the smartcraft gauge upgrade. I priced one out at $800 just for the product alone. I would also talk to them about their new 'weed-proof' upgrade.. not sure where you run or if you will need it but the video is quite impressive on their website.

I have a 40 gallon bow tank with two 24 gallon seat tanks.. not allot of storage but the fuel is all 'front and center' which I like. All the tanks were custom done.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Smartcraft guage

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    +1 on the smartcraft gauge upgrade. I priced one out at $800 just for the product alone. I would also talk to them about their new 'weed-proof' upgrade.. not sure where you run or if you will need it but the video is quite impressive on their website.

I have a 40 gallon bow tank with two 24 gallon seat tanks.. not allot of storage but the fuel is all 'front and center' which I like. All the tanks were custom done.
    Sorry for the dumb ?, but what is the smartcraft gauge exactly. I'm thinking the bigger the tank up front the better.

Default Seat Tanks

I too have a set of 24 gal tanks, one under each front seat on a full console model. Once you get over the idea of sitting on your gas, they are a great space saving option. They came from Karolds welding here in Fairbanks.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

High skew impeller a close second on my list.

The Smartcraft gauge is a plug and play gauge that shows rpm's, temp, pressure, gallons per hour, and total gallons used...maybe one other thing, but that's all I can remember. If you're having to manage fuel at all, like for long distance trips, you'll need one. The stock fuel gauge on my old SportJon was a joke.

Karold's also makes nice saddle tanks for the bow. Mine were 32 gallons a piece. With the saddle tanks full in the bow and the 40 gallon tank full in the rear, the boat was balanced nicely. The concern I had with the seat tanks was possibly too much weight in fuel toward the rear, but that could easily be offset with gear, coolers in the bow however.

I'm not an expert but here is what I know - if anyone here with an SJX reads this, please follow-up so I don't provide anything incomplete or incorrect. (They come stock with the SmartCraft DLX) Sadly, my 2007 Phantom doesn't have one - yet.

The SmartCraft gauge is basically an 'all in one' smart gauge available though Mercury Marine. Some of the items it reports on include low oil, fuel, and water pressure warnings, fuel management, range consumption, and engine temperature readings, engine rpm's, battery stength, etc. It also gives engine warning codes so you can further troubleshoot your system, if need be.

From what I've read, there are different options with various SmartCraft gauges - some offer more data than others. If your going to buy/build a new Phantom, talk to Aztec about options and costs for more information. Compeaus currently has the DLX system for about $800 (product only).
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Was going to say.

that phanton sport jon's are not the same as the SJX's. Make sure you know the difference. I sure would like the weedless system! I've had a hell of a time breaking stomp grate springs. Anyone out there know of any better replacements for them? I have probably went through at least 10 pairs of springs. I break at least one a trip. At $50-60 bucks a pair, it is starting to get expensive!

I was told you can get them in town - look at Napa, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    High skew impeller a close second on my list.

The Smartcraft gauge is a plug and play gauge that shows rpm's, temp, pressure, gallons per hour, and total gallons used...maybe one other thing, but that's all I can remember. If you're having to manage fuel at all, like for long distance trips, you'll need one. The stock fuel gauge on my old SportJon was a joke.

Sounds very similar to a flow scan system. So how many gallons per hour is it reading and at what speeds? Have you tested the accuracy of the total gallons used?

The fuel usage was dead on with mine. The gauge plugs directly into the ECU harness on the motor.

I've got a Floscan 9000 series on the new boat, after installing the sensors in the fuel lines I look back at how simple an install that Smartcraft gauge was!

Smartcraft is dead on accurate here too. Curious what made you decide on the Sport Jon?

The fuel usage was dead on with mine. The gauge plugs directly into the ECU harness on the motor.

I've got a Floscan 9000 series on the new boat, after installing the sensors in the fuel lines I look back at how simple an install that Smartcraft gauge was!
    So what kid of consumption are you seeing and at what speeds and rpms?

With a light load, hunting barely keeping her on plane, saw just under 5gph. Typical cruise speed with wife, kids, dogs, cooler, etc...7gph. Running hard 10-11 gph.

Options I got and am very happy about..

-Smartcraft guage
    -high skew impeller
    -rockknockers
    -UHMW Center only
    -Canopy
    -40 gallon tank
    -windshield wipers
    -removable windshields
    -aftermarket Marine Stereo and speakers

These are all great. I also bought a headset system from aircraft spruce.com that works great!
    "One Last Cast"

With a light load, hunting barely keeping her on plane, saw just under 5gph. Typical cruise speed with wife, kids, dogs, cooler, etc...7gph. Running hard 10-11 gph.
    What's your speed with the light load just on step? What's a typical cruise speed and running hard speed? What does it burn at WOT? I've heard 50mph WOT. Is that what you see?

The gph typically won't change much for a given rpm on a jet but the speed will based on how much weight is being carried.

50 with a Phantom?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    50 with a Phantom?
    What's it burning on the smartcraft at that speed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast