Thread: Cooper landing area snow

Default Cooper landing area snow

I'm hoping to get up into the mountains for some black bear in the next week and a half or so. I've got a few places picked out and was wondering about snow conditions. Does anybody have any idea what the south slopes look like 5 miles west of Cooper landing. We were looking at an area around round mountain.

I'm thinking without snowshoes I may do a lot of post-holing in the thicker pines, but I'm hoping that the south slopes will be pretty much cleared up.
    We were originally looking at some spots closer to Seward, but I'm thinking they may still be pretty snowed in this early.

Default drove through yesterday..

lots of snow on the shaded slopes, sunny ones are ok. i would wait a bit to try and go high anywhere down there.

Default drove thru there yesterday

I drove from anch to soldotna yesterday and the lowlands are clear but up high still looks like there's some snow. I would say give her another week and a half to two weeks and should be some prime bear hunting.

Default Heading out this weekend!

I can't fight the urge any longer. I am planning on heading out this weekend. Hearing the reports of bear being spotted may be getting the best of me. I plan on taking a framed pack and some snow shoes. Please, if anyone feels like this is a poor idea let me know. I am still a recent transplant and am learning on the fly. I will be in and around the Crescent Lake area.
    Thanks