Thread: Bit the boolit and bought a lubesizer....

Default Bit the boolit and bought a lubesizer....

Well, I've been watching used lubesizer prices for months now. They seem to be going for 75-100 bucks for 40 year old stuff. Not interested. I was on another forum and ran across a guy selling a NIB Lyman 4500 for 115 shipped. I then had a DUH moment and realized the guy was in North Pole and that I traded him some lead for some 454 brass last winter. Anyway, I bought the 4500 for 100 bucks. I can live with that since it's NIB and was here in town. But now I gotta get dies and top punches and figure out how to use the thing. Anyone have any .452 or .358 sizer dies for sale?

Lyman 4500 are notorious for breaking the handles, on the side not the center, I have seen any number of them break. It's to bad you could not have found a Star for that kind of money, no up and down notion to size the bullet, only a down stroke for the job, so much faster. I suggest you find a small used lathe and make your own dies and top punches. You will never be wanting again for dies.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Lyman 4500 are notorious for breaking the handles, on the side not the center, I have seen any number of them break. It's to bad you could not have found a Star for that kind of money, no up and down notion to size the bullet, only a down stroke for the job, so much faster. I suggest you find a small used lathe and make your own dies and top punches. You will never be wanting again for dies.
    Great, now you tell me about the handle ....

I'd buy all the Stars I could for 100 bucks. I've been seeing those used Stars going for 250+ depending on options.

EDIT... wait a minute. I thought it was the 45's and 450's that had the handle problems but you can buy and upgrade kit for them from Lyman so they will be like the 4500's.

Weld a pair of washers on the side of the yoke where the pin goes through and replace the pin with a 1/4" bolt. That's how I repaired mine, and it's held up for 1000's of sized bullets.

It's easy enough to make top punches with a lathe, the sizers are worth buying as they are hardened and ground, not easily done at home.

Yeah, it's to bad we all can't find stars for $100 as they are quite a bit faster unless you add in the time it takes to change calibers and set up for a different lube groove spacing. Also how do you get the next bullet in place without lifting the handle. I have an old 450 that I bought about 1970. I have never broken anything on it. If you are using wcww you should size them the same day you cast them as they will get quite a bit harder as time goes by. As PaulH says it is not hard to weld or braze washers over the link pin holes and put bolts or longer pins in for a permanent fix. I make dies for mine on a small lathe from cold rolled steel and they work fine without being hardened. I'm not sure its worth the effort other than I can have any size I want without trying to find them. I'm sure your going to like this a lot better than pan lubing. Good Luck Buck

Default Handloader Magazine sizer/lubricator test article

I don't recall Handloader magazine doing a comparison test report of the various sizer/lubricators? Anyone know of any issue that had such a report?

No but with my STAR, Magma told me when I got the Turbo model that I could easily get two thousand and hour, I've never counted them . But it is so much faster then my old number 45 lube & sizer from the 1960's. I was shocked to see that Magma eng dropped the Star after they bought out the patent rights, they made a lot of accessories for the Star.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

The star is definately a great unit, a budy let me borrow his for a few months.

The thing is with a 450 and a dozen different sizers I just couldn't bit the bullet to upgrade, especially since I haven't been casting as much as I used to.

If you do break the handle Just let me know most likely I can weld it back togeather, though I may ask you to show me how to case and size bullets in payment.