Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: weirdest thing found out hunting

Default weirdest thing found out hunting

Just wondering whats the weirdest thing you found out hunting or in the woods,For me its some of the cars you find,I swear they fell out of the sky to end up there.

Maybe not so weird now days but we found an old pot growing operation. The plants had died but everything was still there. I took a gps coordinate and gave it to the troopers.

I've found several hunters that pegged my weird meter!

My first run to chicken down the South Creek 40 Mile trail in 99, I was way back there. I walked off trail a ways to glass an area thinking to myself, how many people in life stood here and looked at this view from this spot. I stopped to take care of a nature call and when I looked down. There laying infront of me was one of those plastic brown wallet style ammo holders with 8MM shells. Inside, they were shiny and new. Ate a slice of humble pie and said, what are the odds.

Second, as a young hunter 16 years old and out by myself,back in Maine, I had a B52 fly tree top level directly over me. All I remember was the sky turned black followed by a rumble that hurt my ears. Took me a few days and talking to folks on what type of plane it was. It was one from Loring AFB. Scared the crap out of me.

Hunting outside Fairbanks a few years back, I stumbled onto the bottom end of a rocket sticking out of the ground, body maybe 15" in diameter. Tail fins, nozzle, the works. About 4 feet in all sticking up, unblemished and no marks in the ground around it. Kinda like an arrow sticking straight up out of the ground.

Poker Flats obviously. Marked it on the GPS and called them the next day. They were glad for the call and bearings. Evidently they try to recover all their spent motors. I always wondered how much was buried, and how in the world they'd go about getting it out.

Checking my bear bait site, on the start of my trail in, I seen this black plastic bag on the side of the trail. And you can guess what most of us would think would be in there (Think CSI shows ). So I went up to open the bag and......it turns out it was just a bag of tree punk someone was collecting probably to make chew. I'll tell ya my freaked out factor was definitely up a little bit...

I already know it is a mining area up the Steese, but finding all the old mining equipment that has been untouched for 100 or more years is always really cool. Some things are really wierd, and personal, like a mason jar I found sticking out of the tundra with a rusted lid and little strips of paper inside with "pace" directions to a placer mine from back in the 30's. Oh, and old camps with radios, food rations, man, so much cool stuff, it keeps me from hunting sometimes.

Oh, and for anyones knowledge who cares, if you own a cabin or homestead along any of the many RS2477 trails "google it" along the Steese you better go get your crap and move it cause starting this summer State DNR and BLM are going to start burning them down as they are illegal.

I was bowhunting in New Mexico in 1986 off of West Side Road. I was in some nasty, thick brush. It opened up into a nice little meadow. I found a weather transmitter. Never found the baloon that it was attached to.

Default I found

my rifle on the side of a mountain that I had lost crawling through the alders in the pitch black night the evening before!

Smile south creek

Down near Chicken on the south creek forty mile trail I was on this nice lookout and I saw an amazing Moose with I swear four testicles and an 80" spread.

I went to load up my 8mm rounds and just couldn't find em.. The mad dash was on so I headed back to town and was just so frustrated at that point I called it quits.

Default ...

Out in the middle of nowhere, no trails (only foot access), we found a HEAVY bottle jack. Old sucker. Just left along a game trail off a creek (non-boatable), next to a tree. Almost too heavy to haul back to camp, so we left it where it was. Just weird how it might have gotten there (Our guess is military, but like I said: no roads or vehicle trails)
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default Tonsina Mountain - Military Base.

22 years ago, I was out moose hunting when I found a secret military base on the top of Tonsina Mountain. It is abandoned now but when I went up there there was a guard serving on duty up there. They used to test stealth and experimental aircraft and I figure that this base was used for that. The runway was relatively short but it did have a radar installation. The guard told me that it was off limits. It was fenced with double rows of razor wire. I thought it was bizarre as all get out.
    I have always thought it would be a great place to check out when I had more time.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Last fall, a hunting buddy and I found a bank bag that contained twenty $100 bills and a bank statement in the middle of the bush.

We called the bank and they were able to locate the owner, who was extremely appreciative and offered a reward, but he never explained how it got to the middle of nowhere.

About 8 years ago my buddy and I were hiking up a valley, we accessed by boat out of Sitka. I swear to God we were talking about how we'd forgot beer and how bummed we were about it, and how we'd hit The Nugget when we got back to town as we didn't bring much food.

A few miles in, we found a backpack sitting right in the middle of a muskeg. Grass was grown around the backpack, and it was obvious it had been there through the winter. Inside the backpack was 2 Coors Light, and 2 twenty dollar bills. That's it, nothing else in it. It was so bizarre, we almost couldn't believe it. We drank the beer on the walk out, and had lunch at the nugget when we got back to Sitka with the $40. I still have the backpack, if somebody wants to claim it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Down near Chicken on the south creek forty mile trail I was on this nice lookout and I saw an amazing Moose with I swear four testicles and an 80" spread.

I went to load up my 8mm rounds and just couldn't find em.. The mad dash was on so I headed back to town and was just so frustrated at that point I called it quits.

LOL Bighorse, I gave those away along time ago. Sorry Dude, what are the Odds. +1 on the way!!!

I was in the middle of a tamarack swamp tracking a deer it shot. It was UGLY to say the least and found an old washing machine. How did that get there???

Alright here it goes, I was stationed at Ft Carson back in '05 and did some extensive elk hunting on the back side of Pikes Peak right outside of Colo Springs. The area that I hunted there was pretty rough stuff with NO farms or ranches anywhere let alone a drivable road. One morning I found what looked to be a access trail/road heading back up the canyon and went up a mile or two when out of now where a peacock walked right in front of my truck, stopped looked at my buddy and I and walked back off into the woods on the left. The two of use sat there for about 2-3 minutes without a word, finally my buddy asked if I just seen a peacock at which point there was uncontrollable laughing and that ended our morning hunt...What or better yet how it got there who knows and even better question is how it survived in an area loaded with mt lions??

Had a logging job around here on Queen mountain. It was late fall and I was skidding with a dozer. Well one day I lost one of the end caps that holds the C-frame on. These where held on by a couple of 1 1/4" bolts. I looked high and low for that end cap. Could not find it know matter how hard I looked. I had to have another made...............Three years later I was hunting, walking down that old skid trail I had used, there laying in plain sight right in the middle of the trail, was my lost end cap. Don't you know, that sure was a fun day, finding that end cap.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

My brother in-law and I were hunting moose on the Willow side of hatchers trail system. Saw nothing but a bunch of other hunters. On our way back to the truck, I found an AR-15 with a leopould scope, a silencer, and about 5 full clips. Came home that night and logged on the the AOD the next morning, it ended up belonging to a fellow forum member. Turned it in to the troopers as he was in Fairbanks and I am in town. Not sure if he ever got it back as he was about to deploy.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast