Thread: PWS herring jigging

Default PWS herring jigging

When do you start jigging for herring in PWS? What do you look for to fish them? What do you fish them with?

It would be great to catch my own bait - probably fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    When do you start jigging for herring in PWS? What do you look for to fish them? What do you fish them with?

It would be great to catch my own bait - probably fun too.
    Bullelkklr--look for bird activity and milt in the water from spawn. Also when GP in Whittier starts processing salmon there should be herring hanging out by where they discharge the guts in the water. I know usually this time of year you can get them jigging off the coast guard dock in Cordova.

Default Sabiki rig

The most common gear to jig herring is the "sabiki" rig...4 or 5 small hooks with a sparse amount of yellow and/or red yarn tied on each hook. Small weight to be attached to the bottom of the rig and fished vertically. B&J's should have the rig, SW also.

Default thanks

Thanks - I have a couple sibiki rigs. Used them on the east coast and wasn't sure if it would work out here.

Default Whittier

Fun, especially for the kids, right off the shoreline. Go over to the end of Harbor Road, by the retail loop, and try yr luck .....when fish is being processed its a slam-dunk.

Use at least 3 or 4 ounces of weight if the herring are big; lighter weight allows the herring to swim up with the weight and tangle the sabiki rig. I have had the best luck with the pink krill/shrimp looking ones, but just like all fishing, sometimes something else, like the white ones with a green bead, work better.

Big_E

Does anyone know if herring are available from the shoreline in Homer??? I will be there in about 10 days. I remember catching herring in cordova when i was a kid and would love to do it again.