Thread: cutco serrated?

Default cutco serrated?

I've seen several people mention them. I was wondering why and what would you use a serrated knife for compaired to a regular one especially since you can't sharpen it yourself?

I've had my own cutco since '97 and I've seen as much as 2 moose, 2 'bou, and a griz through one without a resharpen. Granted, it needed it at the end of that, but that double-d edge holds very well.

We usually just sent them in after each season, but now that the Cutco rep (I believe his name is Josh Woods) does it, we just give 'em all to my brother and he has them sharpened at his house (since he has a set of kitchen knives as well).

I picked up a serrated Cutco at the show from Josh, the way he explained it was the cutting surface of the blade was protected buy the serrades (sp). So if you run it across a bone you don't dull the the edge, it's pretty sharp can't wait to try it out. Also I like the fact that the one I have is orange so I will be able to find it when I set it down. I bought the fillet knife a couple years ago and really like that also.

the serrated holds the edge great...well thru the whole season for most people and then some.
    i'm with ak-lanche just send it in for a resharpen...i don't like skinnin' with mine, i like making all my initial cuts and its good for boning out quarters..but just for skinning i dont' like it. smooth blade is much nicer.
    but i like mine.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I've seen several people mention them. I was wondering why and what would you use a serrated knife for compaired to a regular one especially since you can't sharpen it yourself?
    As others have said who cares if you can't sharpen it if it never needs to be sharpened till the end of the season? When you are done butchering a moose with the cutco you just rinse it off untill it's time to do another moose, knock that out and then a couple bou or 4 then when the season is over call Josh or mail it in and repeat it all the next year. I love mine for moose and bou, for sheep, goats, and bear it is the havelon piranta all the way.

I can sell the snot out of both of these knives. I don't need to tell my friends about em, I just wait till the knock over an animal grab it and go meet them at the kill site. After the first 30 minutes they have tossed their knife off to the side and are using mine. I tell em that's their freebee next year they better have their own! Same thing with the Havel knife, I sent one to Kodiak with the in laws last year as a loaner, 10 deer later and they both came back and got their own.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    the serrated holds the edge great...well thru the whole season for most people and then some.
    i'm with hunt_ak just send it in for a resharpen...i don't like skinnin' with mine, i like making all my initial cuts and its good for boning out quarters..but just for skinning i dont' like it. smooth blade is much nicer.
    but i like mine.
    Fixed it for ya....