Thread: The time of year for boat troubles

Default The time of year for boat troubles

Could sure tell it was the beginning of the boating season last weekend when I was in PWS. Lots of calls on the radio to Coast Guard asking for assistance given the few numbers of boats on the water. One person in Surprise with a dead battery. Another just outside Passage Canal with an inoperative engine (couldn't give CG his lat/long because he didn't have a gps with him...what?!).

Smile Even on land...

I was on trailer light detail this weekend.

Another guy swamped his boat late Sunday in Blackstone Bay. The weather sure was nice so I was surprised to hear all the calls about trouble. Especially swamping a boat.

Default Happens

Even if you plan and do the PM it happens. Launched the boat and went to back away from the dock and the steering cable broke. Two directions 180 degrees apart don't cut when boating. Another year the fins on the impeller broke off. Did not know that in salt water you needed to replace the impeller every 2 years. It happens guys. Takes me over 2 weeks to PM the boat too. It is the little things that you can't see that bite you.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Little Things You don't see

[QUOTE=Daveinthebush;727230]Even if you plan and do the PM it happens. Takes me over 2 weeks to PM the boat too. It is the little things that you can't see that bite you.[/QUOTw

Isn't that the truth...

Default Kid on radio

I was there Sat and heard a child talking on the radio. It sounded to me like he was playing, but the Coast Guard took him serous and called out an emergency for hours. The boat that the child was on should have told the Coast Guard he was playing so they would not wast time on a false call. I was the only Boat that answered them and told them that I heard the child and gave them my location.

we were farther out could hear CG but not your reply. sure thought it was odd that there weren't many response as there were probably a lot of boats that should have heard the "distress call"
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Yea there were boats around my area that I could see.