Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using a Kifaru LongHunter pack????

Default using a Kifaru LongHunter pack????

I recently bought a Kifaru pack to use for hunting. It was a good deal so I took it. I have never used an internal frame pack and would like to get some opinions of those that have been there and done that.
    Am going into sheep country and, with fingers crosssed, plan on packing a sheep out with it.
    Just looking for the pros and cons from you that have experience. Any tips on what works well and what doesn't???
    thanks
    Plentycoupe

Default Internal frame packs

You're really going to like the comfort of an internal frame for the demanding pack-ins and pack-outs of sheep hunting. Congratulations.

Taylor

Lightbulb sheep hunting pack

check out the archieves - this subject area has been addressed and readdressed on multiple occassions - the information may have already been posted in the past

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr
    check out the archieves - this subject area has been addressed and readdressed on multiple occassions - the information may have already been posted in the past
    I may be mistaken, but with the new forum software, it is not possible to search the old forum's contents. One would need to go to the old web forum for archival info - but best bet IMO would be to answer questions here and begin building this resource as in 6 months the old system will be a distant memory. Regards, Bill

Exclamation Forum archives

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Pa
    I may be mistaken, but with the new forum software, it is not possible to search the old forum's contents. One would need to go to the old web forum for archival info - but best bet IMO would be to answer questions here and begin building this resource as in 6 months the old system will be a distant memory. Regards, Bill
    You're right that the searchlink here does not allow searching of the old forum contents. However, there is a link at the top of the page to "Old Forums". The idea here is to allow us to go back and access this resource.

Our plan is to keep it available as an archival resource. We will be working on that in the next few weeks.

David

Default Kafaru info

Why don't you try going to Kifaru's web site for fitting info. I don't have a longhunter, but know from watching their site that many owners have "fitting" problems, that once addressed make this pack their favorite.
    This should give you a start:
    <http://www.kifaru.net/BACKPAKS.HTM>
    Gary

Default Kifaru Packs

Your gonna love your LH. Been using one since 2002 and have packed out several animals including sheep with mine. My external frame has long been relegated to a training and loaner pack. Some pros are the cargo chair, gun bearer system and customer service. Con would be the fitting like was mentioned a few posts up. Once that is taken care of though, this pack will become your favorite.

Default Stephen....

whats your pack weigh? My Lowe alpine is light but too small, I'm thinkin Kifaru myself....Frank

Default Opsrey

Frank, look into the Osprey line of packs, the wife and I just bought packs for our upcoming sheep hunt. I got the Aether 70 and she got the Arial 75 and the belts on them are heat moldable, can't wait to try them out with a good load in them.

Default Kifaru Weight

Frank-
    My Kifaru weighs 6.5 lbs. So as not to look like a Kifaru salesman, you should check out Mystery Ranch packs as well. Don't have any experience with them, but they are an off-shoot of Dana Designs. Both the Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs were born of high end mountaineering stock and specifically designed with hunters in mind. Both are spendy though, expect to be over 4 bills, unless you find one on ebay or something.

I used a Kifaru on my sheep hunt in August. I trained w/ 120 lbs. and carried out my gear, cape and horns out without any problems. If you want an internal frame, IMO you'll get your money's worth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default LongHunter weight

The one in my store is over 8 lbs. My scale only goes to 8 lbs and the pack exceeds that.

Taylor

Default Kifaru Longhunter Guide

My Longhunter Guide weighs 6lbs. 3oz., less the camo panels that, imo, are next to useless.....great pack though.

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Wink Kifaru Weight

Marc-
    Do you have the guide model or the Rendevous? The Rendezvous is bigger. Also some of the military models have lots of added bells and whistles. I have the guide model and go sans all the fleeces panels as well. I've kept them though in case I ever go whitetail deer hunting in PA or something. I'm in the 6 1/2 lb range. Maybe you forgot and left one of those Wiggy ultra-lites in there when you where weighing

Default LongHunter

Nah, I had a buddy bring his into the store for us to look over. It's all black, no panels or anything that I can pull off, and empty. He's switching to an Osprey, so if anyone's interested, he may entertain an offer.

Extremely heavy for an empty pack, but I'm not questioning anyone's great experience with it, or a lighter version of it, that's for sure.

Hunt with what makes you happy.

Taylor

Default LongHunter

Okay, you guys help me out with what model it might be.
    Please?

Taylor

Default LongHunter

Weight
    The bowl is tare weight

Taylor

Default Mystery Ranch

Awesome packs! We stopped in when we were visiting the wife's family in Bozeman and I will venture to say they are one of the best packs i have had my hands on. The fact that the pack bag is detachable and you can use the frame as a load bearing frame is definately the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl
    Some pros are the cargo chair, gun bearer system and customer service. Con would be the fitting like was mentioned a few posts up. Once that is taken care of though, this pack will become your favorite.
    I didn't have a whole lot of time to mess with this pack when I was home. First time I have owned a real qualitly pack.

Once learned is it a tedious project to remove the pack bag from the frame??
    Do you travel with the cargo chair in place or in the pack?
    Anyone in Fairbanks able to help me with the fit. Just to be sure that I read the instruction book right??

I also noticed that noone likes to use the fleece pouches, is this because they add more weight or make it difficult packing through the thick stuff?

Thanks for all the responses.

plentycoupe

Default Kifaru...

Dang,Marc, that looks like a longhunter. Now I'm going to have to go re-weigh mine. I was quoting weight w/o the cargo chair, that will add another pound. Hmmm

Plentycoupe: It is a somewhat tedious process to remove the bag from the frame. I've never used it that way, since most of the time I bone out my animals. It ain't too bad though, depends on your def of tedious. I travel with the cargo chair in place and use it for sitting on when glassing. At night I remove it and it becomes an extension of my therma rest. Flece panels are supposed to make the pack quiter and "camo." Unnecessary in AK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast