Thread: Rejuvenate Log Cabin Logs

Default Rejuvenate Log Cabin Logs

I'm in the process of getting a 30-year old log cabin and some property up by the Yentna River. The outside of the cabin logs look like they haven't been treated and are weathered. What would be a good treatment for the logs that would rejuvenate and protect them? Wasn't boiled linseed oil and kerosene used in the old days or is this still used?

Thanks for any info!

Are you looking to get the logs all bright yellow again? or just looking to seal them as they are? If you want to go with the "new" look, you might try some of that deck wash and finish up with a power washer....I don't know what else would renew the colors. Stay away from the chinking with the power washer tho.

People say a mixture of cloriox and water works if it does'nt have a finish. I've yet to try it, so I don't know. Might be worth it to do a test on a little part of the logs.

Thank you so much for the ideas! I'll give those a try. Getting a log cabin has been a big dream for a long time. I know I can't make an old cabin new-looking, but hope to make it look a little "prettier."

fishhook, ak

how dry are the logs?

how far can you push a nail in by hand? (outside of the house)

will tell you a lot about whether treating the logs with a preservative is worthwhile. best bet is to keep the logs dry, and let them dry when they get wet. might be worth building a new roof with lots of overhang, say 3-4 feet. just a thought.

Post Rejuvanate Log Cabin Logs

The best treatment for your logs would be to hand sand them as this will take the weathered look out of the logs as well as remove the dead-closed wood cells to allow for the new finish to adhere to the wood properly as well as allow the log to breathe. You should not use linseed oil and kerosene there are many awesome products out there but try and stick with a product that will allow the logs to breathe and has an insecticide and mildew agent in it. Sashco and perma-chink products are awesome and pene-treat is a great borate to apply after the building has been cleaned before the finish is applied. For more information please visit my companies website and if you have any questions please call me at (906)202-0595 or email me at

Lee Denman
    Intensified Wood Restoration

Osborn Buffing Brushes work good. I used the 120 grit and should of got the 80 grit. Old grey logs came out like new.

I appreciate these ideas!