Thread: Kodiak or POW

Default Kodiak or POW

I stated on the float hunt forum http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=78944 that my wife and I have decided to leave the state in 2-3 years after 34 years of living in Alaska. There are some things I/We wish to experience before we go. Another of those things is deer hunt. I have never made it to Kodiak nor have I made it as far as SE Alaska but, I have always had a keen interest in visiting both areas and especially to hunt deer.

My question for those willing to lend some advice or experiences regarding either or both places would be most appreciated.

Also, I am interested in boat based vs. fly-drop tent vs. lodge based hunting and shipping my small Zodiac and motor to whichever island to utilize for access.

If you have been so fortunate to have hunted both, which do you prefer and why ?

Thank you

Very, very different hunts in the two regions. Lots more variation in terrain on Kodiak, so you can kinda pick and choose between lower elevation brush, rolling tundra, timber and high peaks. I prefer that kind of flex and pick and choose my locations on Kodiak accordingly.

Best experience of all for someone new to Kodiak is a boat hunt. Several of the Kodiak charter boats offer winter deer trips. Good food, good beds, maybe mix in some fishing. Sleep offshore with your deer, rather than onshore with the bears. If the hunting disappoints in one location or the weather turns sour, move to another hours away if needed.

I'd suggest going with Johnnie Laird who runs Muskeg Excursions on POW, and leave Alaska with a bang. It'll be one hell of a trip for you if you go with Johnnie.

Default Leaving for where?

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I stated on the float hunt forum http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=78944 that my wife and I have decided to leave the state in 2-3 years after 34 years of living in Alaska. There are some things I/We wish to experience before we go. Another of those things is deer hunt. I have never made it to Kodiak nor have I made it as far as SE Alaska but, I have always had a keen interest in visiting both areas and especially to hunt deer.

My question for those willing to lend some advice or experiences regarding either or both places would be most appreciated.

Also, I am interested in boat based vs. fly-drop tent vs. lodge based hunting and shipping my small Zodiac and motor to whichever island to utilize for access.

If you have been so fortunate to have hunted both, which do you prefer and why ?

Thank you

Im trying to get to AK after 24 years in the Mojave Desert. Where were you planning on moving? Tell you what, lets just swap, I hope you have a nice place.

Default Choice

I've only hunted POW in the spring for black bears but I have also hunted Kodiak.

Of the two, I think Kodiak is preferable as per Jake (BRNBR). There are way more options on Kodiak and the bears are tolerable (bearly). If your hunt is early in the fall, hunt the south end with a drop camp (which I have done). If late, do a boat based hunt (which I have not done but is highly recommended).

I have hunted both and enjoy them for different reasons. It all depends what you want out of it. If you want to hunt Sitka's on their natural terrain go to POW...the Kodiak population is transplanted from their...I like knowing that it is "real" when I am still hunting them in the big woods of POW. If you want to possiblily see more deer and have a little more excitement if you judge hunting success on how much "action" you encounter go to Kodiak...just alot easier to spot them. I will be hunting POW this year....but will definately be back to Kodiak someday.

Prince of Whales