Thread: Recommended power/motor for 20' wooldridge Alaskan II

Default Recommended power/motor for 20' wooldridge Alaskan II

I am looking at power options for a 20' wooldridge Alaskan II. Any first hand input out there?

Jet? Prop? Intended use? What type of loads will you be carrying?
    Tennessee

Default wooldridge AK II Intended use

I would be looking at a jet and would like to be able to carry my family of 5 counting myself with camping gear. I would like to be able to fish the little su and also take it out hunting with two guys and gear. Also is it possable to carry a 4 wheeler on the back? So as far as weight I would at times be hunting with it but for the most part I would be taking my family and friends on the local rivers here in the valley. Thanks for your input

Jake

Easy, buy the biggest motor the boat is rated for.
    Tennessee

Give Wooldridge at the factory a call ask for Glen they can tell you about every engine out there and what is working best for them now. They also have load tests with fuel consumption numbers with several loads in them so you can compare engines with the same loads and various impellers.
    Check out there website there is some of this info on there as well.

What Snowwolfe says...............its good advice............!

If the motor is to small, Its impossible to make more power.....
    But EZ to throttle back...............a big motor.........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

We had a 135 OPTIMAX on the same boat with no problem pushing heavy loads with the prop but it seemed a little underpowered with a load while using the jet. Can never have too much power and being underpowered is a waste of money.

The biggest you can put on it. You just need to decide 2 stroke (lighter and noisier) or 4 stroke (Heavy and quieter). I always thought the Honda motors were too heavy to be a good jet. There are lots of yamaha, suzuki, mercs and evinrude jet motors out there. Pick your favorite dealer and go with them.

Thumbs up I have this boat too

I put the 140hp 4 stroke Suzuki on my 20'. Mines the open boat w/ center console. Not sure which one your looking at. Bought her new last year, got 44hrs on it. Haven't had a huge load in it, say a moose and gear. But I have had 4 people, 2 dogs and 2 coolers with chow and fish in it and it did great. It sips gas and (per the Yamaha brochure) weighs 23 lbs LIGHTER than a 115 Yamaha. It's got the big pump on it with a 4 blade s/s impellor. It doesn't go super fast, maybe 30 or so, but shallow water so far hasn't been an issue and it handles really well in the windy stuff. Gets on step fast. I got a great deal on it at Marita, had them take off the Yamaha that was on it and put the Suzuki on. No complaints at all. I've had it up the Talkeetna, Deshka, Big Su and Valdez to date and I love it. Taking it out next week for bears.

I have the 17.5 Alaskan with a 115 Suzuki. I would suggest that you look hard at the DF140 Suzuki. I got a 7 year warranty on mine! Anchorage Yamaha has been great! They are the Suzuki Marine dealer in Anchorage. Bob used to work at Marita and knows Wooldridge pretty good.

Go big if you plan to haul a lot of weight. Empty my 115 is fine. Loaded heavy it is underpowered.

Mike

Default perfect power

Jake
    The Perfect power plant for your Wooldridge would be an Optimax 200 hp inboard jet. What you do is dump your Wooldridge in the big su above Devils canyon and remove the steering wheel. Pusher her off empty and go buy an Extreme Shallow or Sport John minus steering wheel. When your wife asks if you bought a new boat you can in tell her no you just up graded a few things. Ha Ha see ya tonight buddy.

I agree, buy the highest HP rating for the boat, but go with a Evinrude E-TEC in that Horsepower: cleaner, lighter, and more snappy than any 4-stroke you could ever buy. Good lookin motors too.

Default I have a 175 Evinrude ETEC on my...

I have an Evinrude ETEC 175 on my Wooldridge Alaskan II/ 20.5' model.
    The motor does everything you would want it to do. I could have purchased it with either a 150, 175 or 200 ETEC. I don't recommend going with the 150. It's up to you between the 175 or the 200. The 200 would be if you plan even one long, long range trip of if you occasionaly pack your boat with heavy stuff up to the gunnels and need the little extra oomph.

Also I believe that if you go with the 200 you could possibly put a super pump on it for heavy load (but slower running?) You will need to verify that one.
    I have got my opinions on power plants, manufacturers, whether it is a good idea to try to set it up so you can switch from jet to prop, etc...

One of the key detrermining factors for me was to find a great dealer who knows jet boats in and out, backs their service and product and has a great staff (shameless, no affiliation plug for our local boat dealer here in Fairbanks: The Boat Shop).

Why go with the Evinride ETEC? simplicity, simplicity, simplicity. They have great engineering, less parts and upkeep than a four stroke and a big one... they start in less than one rotation of the flywheel, cold hot, pouring rain, after siitting all winter, she will do that, no joke.

(27 year veteran of interior rivers jet boating)