Thread: 2 stroke direct inject question?

Default 2 stroke direct inject question?

I was out on the water today getting pounded by chop and my motor made a clanking sound when I noticed the oil light on. I hit the killswitch and knowing that just I topped off the oil, I checked anyway to find out my oil was still topped off. Something was obviosly preventing oil flow to my 30hp yamaha direct inject.

To remedy the situation I poured 2 stroke oil into the gas take attempting to make it 50/1. this did nothing and My engine made the clanking noise unless I kept the throttle low. The oil light stayed on as well. I assumed this was permanent damage. Long story short everything seemed to fix itself when I tinkered with the oil lines and removed a very slight kink. I sure hope that was the problem anyway.

Why if the oil system fails can I not just add oil to the fuel? It does not make sense.

Thanks in advance.

Do a compression check.
    I would not trust that motor going down river.
    You always wanna be able to float home.

Are you sure it is FI 2 stroke?

I know my motor was purchased in 2001 and you pour 2cycle oil inside a small tank inside the cowling instead of premixining it in a seperate fuel tank. Therefore i assume that is would mean it is a direct inject 2 stroke.

You have a carburated motor with oil injection.

But get your motor looked at before going out again as something really bad can happen.
    But anytime a motors clanks it is not good news.
    Might have burnt some bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by elhewman View Post
    I know my motor was purchased in 2001 and you pour 2cycle oil inside a small tank inside the cowling instead of premixining it in a seperate fuel tank. Therefore i assume that is would mean it is a direct inject 2 stroke.
    I believe you mean oil injected, not direct injection. Those are two different beasts such as the etec or the tohatsu DI models.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

ahh..oil injected thanks.

This stinks because I am talking about my first upgrade as far as outboards go. I have only had dirty old 2 strokes made in the 70's and 80's before. I guess I will replace the oil lines on any used oil injected outboard from now on. It seems the flow was slightly restricted on the current oil lines.

You can add oil to gas (Yamaha actually recommends doing so after a long storage), but it will screw up the ratios as the motor will still inject some oil into the fuel.
    My Yamaha has an oil filter inside the oil tank, so maybe check that it might be clogged.

I'll check for an oil filter. I might be wrong but i think my engine may have went into limp mode instead of something much worse(I Hope). As soon as the oil light went off things imediately improved to normal. I described a clank sound previousely, but it actually was more of a chug chug sound or like the a growl when I increased the rpm's. I took my motor for a spin today near the harbor and all was well. Still very scared though. Installing kicker tommorow.

Just to add this for future knowledge, if you do ever have a direct injected 2 stroke, adding oil to the fuel won't do any good. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, whereas with a carburetor the fuel/oil mix would go through the crankcase first. In fact, adding oil to the fuel of a direct injected engine could quite possibly gum up the fuel system and make the engine not run at all.

In an oil injected engine, the carburetor works as normal but the oil is injected directly into the crankcase, ideally directly onto whatever needs oiling (pistons/crankshaft). Since the fuel/air mix is going through as well, it mixes together as it blows through the crankcase and into the cylinders.