Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier

Default Whittier

Tomorrow will be our first time going out of Whittier. We plan on Shrimping for 2 or 3 days. I know I have to pay for the tunnel, launch, and parking. From what I've seen on here is the tunnel is $20, ramp is $10, and parking is $10. Is parking $10, a day?
    Fish fear me, My wife don't.

The tunnel is 20 the launch is 20 the parking is 10 a day
    Quote Originally Posted by KenaiIce View Post
    Tomorrow will be our first time going out of Whittier. We plan on Shrimping for 2 or 3 days. I know I have to pay for the tunnel, launch, and parking. From what I've seen on here is the tunnel is $20, ramp is $10, and parking is $10. Is parking $10, a day?

Default Yep

50 bucks just to get your boat floating at the dock.

If you plan on going out of Whittier much go ahead and buy the launch pass. It's $120 plus tax but pays for itself pretty quick if you are going alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    50 bucks just to get your boat floating at the dock.
    When you figure fuel for the trip down and back, it's more like $100.

That said, can't wait to get out on the sound!

Default I paid 20

I parked my truck and trailer in the Snowed in mudd hole parking lot across the train tracks..and got charged 20 bucks..(for 1 night) I about craped myself.. Launched at 3 on Sat and was returning same time Sunday.. Yep 20 bucks.. It really is a rip off, and the folks down their have a monoploly.. Come to think of it, the guy probably just shafted me and went to the bar..

1 night counts as 2 days, so $10/day $20 for the weekend. Not as bad as planning on a 5 day trip, having to cut the trip short and trying to get a refund.

Whoever collects fees for the mudhole parking must be making money hand over fist. Puts little if anything back into the place as far as maintenance. Even the little bit of concrete between the front and back lots was something that was left over from another job and he got for free.
    Once when I got back a day early I was offered only a credit for a future stay.

Default Refund?

Yeah ok.. last year I took the boat out bear hunting and planned and paid for 4 or 5 days.. We all got em the first night.. screwed around the second day and came back a couple days early.. No refund.. I think he gave me a slip for credit.. I can see if they charge and use the money for something.. But Clearly I am not the only one who hasnt seen an improvement.. Nothing since 2002.. Yeah I get it.. the boat launch area has upgraded.. but they get ya for 20 bucks their too.. and the tunnel.. I am sure that the 8-30 bucks a pop for everything going in has more than paid for itself.. I am not one for bucking the system.. But I think if (everyone) got on board.. they would lower the fees..

If we continue to pay it, they will charge it..

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    If you plan on going out of Whittier much go ahead and buy the launch pass. It's $120 plus tax but pays for itself pretty quick if you are going alot.
    It still blows me away they charge a fee for people to launch their boats. The state paid for 100% of whittier harbor and the pavement surrounding it. Plus on top of that, the state also pays the whittidiots to maintain it! At least they could have somebody out there directing traffic. Its pandemonium on a Saturday. Add a cruise ship and you got the bluehairs w/ hearing aides, the asians that can't speak a lick of English, all walking to the restaurants oblivious to the stressed out boat launcher. mean while kayakers are hollering at some gillnetter for running over their trailer load of kayaks, at the top of the ramp you got some poor average joe trying to backup the new bayliner for the 1st time w/ the crying baby and stressed out wife, but he can't because some cantankerous old cuss parks his boat at the ramp and proceeds to clean the tackle box while he sends the old lady up to get the truck and trailer. I have to tell you watching the ramp on a saturday can be pretty good entertainment. Anyway they need to provide some sort of organization, as well as a place to moor the boat while you go get your truck and trailer so theres not a jam-up at the bottleneck

Default They have a Dock Monitor now

But she has never docked a boat in her life. The wind was blowing pretty good on Sunday afternoon and that made one side of the launch finger allot more desirable than the other. I prefer to get blown into the dock then away from it. There were not that many other boats(3) at the launch so I took the what I felt was the more advantageous side. The ramp worker comes up and tells me that because it was not busy that she will let me stay there, wheras normally she would have asked me to move to the other side. I am sure I could be a better captain and boat driver but I would think you would want to have the boats coming into the ramp to have the "easier" to dock side than the boats coming out.

It did not help that when I was coming into the ramp the guy in front of me going towards the ramp turned around because someone was coming out and then I had to turn around in the harbor with the breeze and the rock wall looking like it wanted to gobble my little boat up.

Maybe I am just too sensitive too. So look for the cones placed at the end of the fingers and the top of the ramp to guide you as too which lane is for coming in or out.

Default We'll

We'll Fullbush, I guess its you and I so far.. Wanna go Sat and watch the circus? I'll bring the beer and brown paper bags.. someone else get the ice.. Wait.. Its whittier, We have 10 feet of snow still in the parking lot.. nevermind..

So is the parking lot still snowed in? If so, I understand it's ok to park in the paved lot. How full will that be this time of year? I was hoping to get down this weekend and just wanted to know what to expect.

Default I probably shouldnt give away my parking spot.

But if enough people follow my lead, I might not need it.
    Anyway, on a particularly UGLY day at the ramp, I did not want to just walk away from the boat while parking chores were undertaken, so after pulling the truck to the top of the ramp, and a little to the right, well right by the harbour masters office I then pulled the boat right up to the open transient slips (right under the harbour masters office) and tied er off. By now I had shortened the drive and the walk and lessened the impact on the launce at the same time. A quick trip to the parking lot, a shorter walk back to the boat, and I was on my way! Heck with a couple people, you could probably have them pick you up at the fuel dock after you get done parking and really cut a fat hog.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    you could probably have them pick you up at the fuel dock after you get done parking and really cut a fat hog.
    Mike
    That's what I try to do if I have someone that can park the truck or drive the boat.

Default Parking

Quote Originally Posted by stef_ak View Post
    So is the parking lot still snowed in? If so, I understand it's ok to park in the paved lot. How full will that be this time of year? I was hoping to get down this weekend and just wanted to know what to expect.
    I was there Sat and they were clearing the parking area with a loader. The paved lot was full. When we left there were a few people parked it the lot across the tracks.
    Last edited by dbull66; 05-04-2010 at 20:59. Reason: add more

Default Mudd lot

I was duirected to park in the mudd lot across the way.. Lots of snow and was pretty soft, Had to put it in 4 wheel drive to pull a empty trailer.. Ohh and I got charged 20 shmeebs too!..

Heading out today!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Looks like good water and decent weather through the weekend. Bring back lots of fish and maybe a few lies!

I saw the harbor attendant that was there to oversee the launch, you can't miss her she's got 3 front teeth one points south the other one points east and the pretty one it points southeast. One fella was launching and she was trying to light a cigarette w/ her back turned away from the wind, she didn't notice but he jumped the ramp and almost hit the fancy new hut. I whistled and he stopped. She started to run over and say something but just as she started talking she started hacking and coughing. She ended up hacking a lung up but I'm pretty sure it was below the tide line so after a couple tides the lung butter should be washed off the ramp.
    Anyway my boats parked in slip zulu 31 on a daily rate I'll be heading to Cordova tomorrow probably

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast