Thread: Zastava LK M70 PSS rifles

Default Zastava LK M70 PSS rifles

Now here is the model Remington Arms should have offered.

Zastava Arms LK M70 PSS

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/

All stainless steel polymer stocked rifles from 22-250 to 9.3x62, sure would like to have the 6.5x55. Six metric cartridges listed in the lineup.

That M84 would be nice to have.

Default M93

If you've watched the movie Behind Enemy Lines - the bad guy sniper was using M93

Anyone notice that the 798 and 788 are not listed on the Remington website anylonger, anyone know the reason why?

Default Dealer

A dealer / importer in the US would be nice!

I noted one model with DST - I'll take at least one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Now here is the model Remington Arms should have offered.

Zastava Arms LK M70 PSS

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/

All stainless steel polymer stocked rifles from 22-250 to 9.3x62, sure would like to have the 6.5x55. Six metric cartridges listed in the lineup.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Anyone notice that the 798 and 788 are not listed on the Remington website anylonger, anyone know the reason why?
    It seems like the news that Remington no longer had ties to Zastava surfaced a year or more ago I think. But now it doesn't seem like you can find any information online about it.

I had heard a while back that there was a new importer in the works, my poor memory recalls it was going to be EAA but I could be wrong. Midway USA has had Zastava barreled actions listed as coming soon for months but they keep pushing out the arrival date.

Default 798

They discontinued the 798 in 2008. I found this on their web site

http://www.remington.com/products/ar...model-798.aspx

Looks like they only made it two years. Darn

Sure hope the next importer offers them in stainless steel, been waiting patiently for a stainless model for a few years now. Charles Daly didnt produce a stainless model, now Remington is out of the picture too. Sure hope a stainless model comes out on the American market soon.
    Found a dealer that has a few of the Zastava LK M70 rifles but once again they are in blued steel.

Sure hope the next importer offers them in stainless steel, been waiting patiently for a stainless model for a few years now. Charles Daly didnt produce a stainless model, now Remington is out of the picture too. Sure hope a stainless model comes out on the American market soon.
    Found a dealer that has a few of the Zastava LK M70 rifles but once again they are in blued steel.
    Nukalpiaq (and anyone else interested)

I just got back from the NRA national convention this past weekend in Charlotte, NC and found out some info I thought you'd be interested in.

EAA is now the importer of Zastava Mausers. I talked directly to the head hauncho of EAA about them as well as to the guy who is over the Zastava imports who just started with EAA after leaving Charles Daly.

Two things of note that they told me.

One is they have no current plans to import the stainless models because they have failed repeatedly to meet their required safety standards. They wouldn't give me any more info than that. He seemed as eager to have them as we are.

Second is they are concerned about the market for these Mausers in general because he said distributors just won't order them. He said the distributors tell them directly that they are not selling because of the cheap Mossbergs and Savages/Stevens on the market. I find it hard to believe that anyone would consider those rifles in the same category as the Mauser action but apparently CHEAP is what is selling right now.

If you are not seeing them in stock in your dealers it is because their distributors don't have them. EAA said they are considering going to dealer direct on them to hopefully make them easier to obtain.

They also now have a "target" model that comes with a thumbhole stock and a detachable magazine. Interesting.

Evan

evandaily, Suprising that the stainless action is not meeting their safety standards, makes me wonder why then are the SS rifles being advertised on the Zastava website.
    Mausers having to compete with Mossberg, Savage and Stevens, never knew that would happen, always thought Mausers were in a league of their own. Dealer direct sounds like a good strategy to lower cost on the buyers end, good way to compete with the aforementioned manufacturers. Good info, thanks.

When I see that someone demand SS metal in a rifle action, I have one question come to mind, why? Is it because of a philosophy of not wanting to clean the action? Is it because of a perception of rusting? I know of no reason for the use of SS for a rifle action over a chrome molly action? A knowledge of metallurgy precludes any reason to want SS over chrome molly. I remember the history of the SS revolver and the way the public was sold on this idea, and it was all based on the idea of poor practises in gun care.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Coastal environment, saltwater spray in the boat, constant rain in the fall and snow in the winter out on the snowmachine trail, hunting for days and sometimes a week at a time, camping out of an 8'x10 whitewall canvas tent when I travel by boat and snowmachine.
    IMO stainless rifles handle adverse conditions better for longer periods of time with less care than blued steel, at least from my experience out here on the coast hunting in all kinds of weather and conditions. Just my personal reason and preference for stainless. So yes Big Al I think you are partly right, not really the philospophy of not wanting too but the philsophy of not needing too as often. Stainless does rust and SS rifles do need cleaning, but who wants to break down a rifle and clean it every evening when out in the field.

What can we learn fro0m metallurgy? Let us ask ourselves why does SS have a slow to co rode properties? Once we learn that there is a down side to the addition to the high chrome content to SS we look for a better solution. Many years ago I was faced with the same problems you face today. The solution I came up with has worked for me for many years was to send my favorite rifle and shotgun out to have this process done on them and one handgun just for fun and this has worked for me. It does not leave me any longer watching my favorite old Remarque Sako made Browning's rust before my vary eyes and it works so well that this is what I recommend.

http://www.robarguns.com/

This works and it works better than SS. This is one you can take to the bank. Live and learn.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I know this kind of thing is not to popular to do, but I asked the techs at Robar what offered the best corrosion tech and that's what advice I followed. I also made sure that certain tests were followed and looked at the data. I know this is kind of like cheating doing it tis way, but I wanted real solutions to the same problems you describe. Yes mine have the NP3 done for the internals and the Robar finish done on the externals, hay they didn't lie to me and it works for what I wanted. I remember a black chromed old M-70 that was used in Africa and India long before this outfit came along and what was done to it took care of his problems decades before there was anything else out their.

Thanks Big Al, you have good insight to the type of conditons us folk out here on the coast have to deal with and expose our rifles too. As I recall you mentioned to me before that you used to live and hunt out here in southwest Alaska. Stainless works for us out here but there sure are a lot of chrome-moly rifles out here too, and man do they rust something fierce. Partly due to the conditions but also due to neglect by the owners, you know how it is. The last gunsmith I worked with tried his best to convince me to send back my SS rifle action back to the manufacture and trade it in for a chrome-moly action, said the chromemoly action would be much smoother as in operations of the bolt in comparison to a stainless one. I read a lil about the metallurgy comparing the 2 types of metals before but on briefly, I had my reasons for sticking with a stainless action which I mentioned above. Never tried Robar before, only coating I have experience with is teflon, arctickote/cerakote, had an older parkerized rifle before, now that rifle held up real nice.

Do you really think that broken glass can ever be made smooth? If you were to look at the major thing that makes SS is the addition of chrome. Now look at microscopic photos of SS. Remember the broken glass? Yes SS can have as much as 20% chrome in it. Do you see why I do not recommend SS except for barrels and then only for certain uses. I have seen a lot of SS barrels treated with Robar's treatment and think for that use is is fine. Yes it's true that some of my barrels that I hunt with are treated with the same service as I recommend to you. Yes your friends will never know, but you sure as heck will.

Default Barrel Steels

Good subject material; Metallurgy
    Here is a weblink I found on barrel steels, found a brief article on Stainless Steel vs Cold Weather, interesting read. Especially the cautionary info regarding using stainless steel barrels when hunting in zero degree temperatures and lower. Lots of other good reading material on firearms in general on the Index link. Sure wish I could find information on rifle action steels, would like to read more about the subject. Thanks Al for stirring my curiousity on the subject.

http://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/barrel_steel.html

I'm afraid you have really gotten ah old of some nary old information on cold weather and stainless material. Deep research from the barrel manufactures does not prove it's self that this is true. Remember that the first place you would here this is from the barrel manufactures themselves. Call any number of barrel makers and ask? I did and could not find any that had their barrels returned that split from cold weather use. Remember they send out barrel blanks all over the globe.