Thread: 180's on SFT&L Sandbars

Smile 180's on SFT&L Sandbars

Was curious about the 180 per landing and taking off from gravel bars etc.

I know the cub is just about the best for that and there are others like the Maules but does anyone know if the 180's can do that sort of work?

I'm in the market for a taildragger/float plane. Kinda decided on the Maule or the 180.

Mission; to land and camp & fish all over the state now that I'm retired.

Any ideas comments welcome..

thanks

Rick

I had 26" Airstreaks on my C-180 and it works fine. The "Snotball" is if you have to lift the tail UP the beach when your full of cargo. One learns the value of a rope come-a-long and 200 feet of rope.

Lightbulb Come along

AGL,

Good idea to have one I see.

I know what you mean. A friend landed his Duckworth on a bar and it took us 2-hrs to get it unstuck Ha!. He did 180-deg and skidded up on the sand bar backwards if you can believe it. Fun ride tho. If we had a come along it would been a lot easier.

Thanks for the idea.

Default 180 and off airport

I have a light stright 56 with a float kit, never on floats, Sportsman STOL, XP modifications 3300, 600 x 5 tail wheel, 850 x 6 mains and a 260 hp IO-470 with a Mccaulley C-230 88" prop and the first time I landed at Polly Creek to clam with the big tail wheel, when I got out of the plane it started rolling down beach, tail wheel did not dig in.

I have been in and out of Lake Creek on the Yetna, Kustutan on the west forland, Theadore River, and the Chulitina river (steep beach) with ease.

The bonus with a C-180 is that when you are headed to Polly Creek to get some clams you blow by the cub guy's at 150+mph
    Attached Images Attached Images

Question I like it

fish,

That's eggzackly what I want to do plus the floats. Good news.

I was looking at a 180 yesterday and mentioned the Sportsman STOL. The guy said that mod did let you land shorter etc but it did not make your TO shorter while the others did. Horton, Robertson etc.

Does that make sense to you. If it gives you a lower stall speed it seems it aught to help you with shorter TO also..

What say you?

Rick

Default hey RocketRick

Hi

Remember if it is a earily C-180, "if it is a J walkaway" reffering to th O-470J engine, not so good. Couple of other thoughts ... "Brute force concer's all" Horsepower to weight is the most importent dynamic in breaking free of terra firma. I think thet the big tail wheel hurts a little, changes the angle of attack, but those extra 30 hp in the high compression Contental 470 engine kind of of override that. Rick, a Northwest 747 driver, when I lived at Skyranch, an avaition community out near Palmer AK ... claimed that he saw me break ground in 300 ft ... I think I was kind of light that day and had a bit of a head wind. You can will it into the air on prop and power alone. It all of corse, depends on how soft is the surface, how hot the day is and how heavy the plane is.

What I have been told by the guy that built my engine (Jim Detlinger) is that you really notice the difference between the O-470 and IO-470 on floats, with a good pair of EDO 2870's you have a real "pocket rocket", he did it to earily C-180 and would not change or do anything to that plane.

What I have have been told on my bieneial flight reviews is that the instructor is impressed with low speed controllability, takes a lot of turn to break into a one wing stall at low speed, 20 to 30% at 45 to 50 mph.

I bought the plane with the Sportsman STOL, do not know what a standard C-180 wing would behave like.

If you are in AK and are buying the plane up here be sure to get a good mechanic to inspect it, especially if it has ever been on floats. I have been doing owner assisted inspections with my AP/AI guy begining back in 89 ... haven't crashed one yet and he has saved me a ton of money.

Smile A&P

fish,

Yep the one I'm looking at has that STOL + VG's + extended wings(extra gross mod).

Give me the name of a an ace A&P in the valley you wld recommend for an inspection.

rick

Default sand bars 180

Any bush plane should have a big tail wheel, will save you alot of money in repairs(trust me)and your tail wont sink in the sand like the 3200. I would pick a 180 over a maul most of the time, but I do like loading and unloading the maul. Check insurance rates also cause I think mauls are alot more. The 180's are great personal planes, get someone who really knows how to fly one and you will be impressed depending on which engine is in it. I would not go to the repair shop on wasilla airport(pm me if you want more info), get someone who really knows 180's, it will be money well spent.

Terry

Default Precision Plus

Try Mitch at Precision Plus on Birchwood 688-4043.

There is another mechanic at Birchwood I would not use - He managed to cross the aileron controls. The owner tried to take off (with out doing the proper pre-flight). He got airborne and tried to make a small correction to stay over the runway but the plane went the other way. He put in more correction the plane veered further away and eventually crashed at the end of the runway. PM me if you want to know who was involved.

Just my Nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Default A&P

I just emailed John to see if he can fit in another plane. He is based in Anchorage but is mobile, he goes to the valley on a regular basis.

I have more than 1,000 hours in C-180s, and have flown the Alcan several times in different models. The earlier models were lighter, which helped sometimes with short field operations.

While flying sports fishermen for Painter Creek Lodge, Archie Hutchison and I flew a pair of C-180s on 8.50x6 gear and standard tail wheels. We CONSISTENTLY operated from a measured rough gravel bar that was 520-ft long and about twelve feet wide. We did it with three passengers and their fishing gear, lunch, emergency gear, etc. That is to say, loaded. Neither C-180 had been modified in any way (except for wheel-mounted push-to-talk buttons to clear the cockpit of extraneous wires and allow the pilot to keep his right hand on the throttle).

As to wing modifications: I've flown a dozen of them, and have flown crosswind gear too. Stay off the steep beaches with crosswind gear!!! As for the other mods, I have never found ANY real benefit to them, except to recognize a few problems with them in crosswing landings.

C-180s are legal on several float sizes. My recommendation is to avoid the shorter version of the Edo floats. You'll be more comfortable witht a little more length out front, especially in rough water.

As they say, my $0.02.

The most important piece of equipment in any airplane is the pilot. The 180 is no exception. A good driver can make a basic airplane work well. A mediocre pilot can make a tricked-out airplane perform like junk.

The best mod for any 180 is horsepower. The 0-520 Pponk mod is by far the most popular. It allows you to use better props, too. Tires? Depends on what you want to do.

By the way, the old saying is "if it's got an A, walk away". TCM won't support A models and very few remain in use. There are still J engines doing their thing just fine.

Default I have a 56'

Had a couple of pacers, simular to the maule, the 180 is a whole diferent class plane. Mine is stock and does all I want except carry more fuel. I would like to put on a skycrafters pod/ fueltank to solve the problem.You rarely hear anything bad about one. For a mechanic try Adison on this site, did a job for me and was more than fair and very timely. I believe he is a moderator.

Default sorry rick

John is both good and very busy ... he is my guy and I do not have any other suggestions.

It is a good idea to get a buyers inspection and look closely at the books, probably, more than likely, most C-180's up here have been dinged a few times. Telltale signs of problems are extra pieces of metal on allerons or vertical stabilizer. This usually means that when the plane was put back together it was not right and they have to do something like that to get it to fly stright. Be sure to fly before you buy, rate of climb shoul be about 1,000 fpm with the standard engine and 5,000 ft cruise at 23 in mp and 2400 rpm better be atleast 150 mph. In calm air after trimed you should be able to hold a heading by taping a rudder pedal every now and then.

Good luck

Ya might want to look at the belly skin along the fuselage, aft of the cabin, too. You may find a few wrinkles there, or near the firewall. If so, try to find out what sort of abuse caused them . . . . .

Smile Thanks

See I used to fly with my dad in L-19's. I was a kid. He was WWII Normandy guy and still kicking ha!.So it's in my blood and I just gotta get back to it. Got my license here in 1983 in winter.

ocnFish - Thanks for asking your A&P..I've already talked to about half-dozen for a pre-buy or annual..will be money well spent.

I looked at a 180 on Mon. It had too many extra rivets for me and lots of obvious repairs plus no logs for its first 10-yrs so I passed.

Toddler - Yes Mitch was mentioned to me by another A&P near B'wood. May call him.

Pid - Heard that about the As and the Js and the Us. Also heard the K & Ls were good.

Rick