Thread: Game bag size??

Default Game bag size??

So I saw on another thread about game bags and what not. One person said to use old sheets...Sounds like a good idea!

What size do they need to be for deer, and Elk? I found a sheet at wally world for $5 so I am going to make my own.

The Elk and deer will most likely be quartered.

On the lighter side Im thinking single for blackbears, twin sheets for grizzles,sheep, goats and sitka blacktail, queen for Elk and Caribou and Musk Ox and King size sheets for Buffalo, Brown bears and Moose.

Personally I dont use sheets, I use Vince's game bags.

Since where I hunt, space is not an issue and I take everything with me except guts and skin so I use old army mattress covers. I got about dozen or so at the GI Joe store in Anchorage a few years back for 7 bucks a piece. Nice and thick, don't rip easy with a draw string.

Looking for the actual bag size .

36x48"?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    Looking for the actual bag size .

36x48"?
    48 will not cover the knuckle of some moose... i like BIG Bags

Deer have dimes not quaters so smaller bags can be used... i would guess that 48 is ok for elk...as most are advertised for that purpose..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Sheets for game bags-

I do not recommend sheets (or pillowcases) for game bags, because they tear easily and don't breathe well. About the only thing they have going for them is that they're cheap.

As to sizes, the front shoulder on a moose is about 48" long from the top of the scapula to the knee joint, so your bag should be at least 52" long, and about 40" wide. You'll need one for each quarter, one for each slab of ribs, and one for the cape. You'll also need some smaller bags, say about 30" x 25" or so. You'll need one for the neck (about 40# or so on a moose), one for the backstraps and tenderloins (prime cuts, we call 'em), and one for brisket and trim. So... 7 large and 3 small bags should do it for a moose.

Keep in mind that cotton bags can shrink quite a bit once they go through the dryer, so plan accordingly. One company I know of makes a bag that's plenty big enough for moose, and breathable and strong. CHECK THEM OUT HERE. The name of the company is Hunter Game Bags.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay