Thread: Best Western PWS Anchorage for Kids

Default Best Western PWS Anchorage for Kids

I am looking for input as to what you think the best anchorage is in wsetern PWS for kids. I would like a protected anchorage with easy beach access and open terrain, such as mossy ground where we don't have to worry about steep hills or bears in the brush. A nice beach area with smaller pebbles would be a plus; somewhere that is safe for a 4 year old (our youngest). Yes, I have the cruising guide, and have been to many spots, just looking for more options.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

West Twin Bay, Perry Island.
    We anchor in front of the spit most of the time, good holding ground. This is not a good place in a strong North wind though. The spit is big enough to host several different parties without seeming too crowded. Bring firewood, I've not had good luck finding dry wood in the sound. Bring a light rod or two for kelp greenling, those little cod and rockfish. The kids have a blast catching those, well ok, so do I, when I get a breather from deck hand duties. I have been using small jigs with GULP minnows, but pixies work just as well.
    I've never seen bear sign there, and have heard that they don't swim Across Wells or Perry Passage, but the deer have made it soooo...I wonder if there are a few.
    Lots of open meadows, but it is deceptively steep in places. You can probably pick your way up to the top of the ridge on the west side with a four year old in tow. Great views of Perry passage, and even up into Port Nellie Juan on a clear day.
    Keep those kids fed and take lots of dry clothes, and they'll be begging to go out every weekend. Glad to see you are starting them early.

I like Deep Water Bay a lot. The bugs can be bad (like it can be all over the sound), and there is an occasional bear, but has one of the nicest beaches on the entire sound. Just one opinion and you're going to get 75 different answers on this one.....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    ...you're going to get 75 different answers on this one.....
    Lots of different options are good, and appreciated. Deep water bay is a good option, thanks.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Shoestring Bay on the Eastern side of Esther Island up Esther Passage. Very well protected and actually hard to find entrance/a little intimidating narrow entrance for a 1st timer. Channel is easy to follow as the water is very clear. If not wanting to take the main rig thru the channel you can tie up to the tie out can that is out front if no one is using it.

All low meadows, good fresh water to be had from snow melt, beach is very accessible but just not what I would call pebble beaches. There is actually a large rounded rock that I like to anchor near. There is a little island mid bay that I generally let my dogs out on. They are not real big about swimming so I can leave them there for awhile without issue. Seen bear sign but have never came across an actual animal.

On the West side of Green Island there is a small island that has a very well protected anchorage. The shore is flat, you can set up a campfire and wander around the moss covered forest. No bears, and you'll likely have it to yourself. The kids can paddle around in a kayak or raft, and there will be pinks to keep them intertained in the late summer. The rock covered shore does cover at high tide, which is perfect for campfires as they get washed clean. You do have to watch for them on the barnacle encrusted rocks and kelp covered rocks.

I have been to all the areas mentioned so far with the exception of Perry Island. I have yet to check that one out. My favorite for kids is Deep Water. Gotta love the granite beach. We spend a fair amount of time in the Unakwik area. There are some decent beaches with some good tide pools that my kids like to explore there, as well as some fantastic berry picking. The islands at the entrance to Unakwik and Eaglek have some nice beaches and tide pooling, too. There are some pretty cool beaches if you head south and down the passages to Port Bainbridge, too. We have had some nice fires down that way.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.