Thread: Shearwater Bay - Kodiak Island

Default Shearwater Bay - Kodiak Island

After some research I'm thinking LaTouche island may not work for year round living.

I've found another location on Kodiak Island that is of some interest:
    http://www.remoteproperties.com/kodiak/shearwater1.html

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this area?

Water - stream right through property so water shouldn't be an issue.
    Food - an abundance of deer, fish and other wildlife
    Wood - from the google maps it does look like there is adequate wood for fire, but it is hard to be certain.

Anyone have thoughts on this land in Shearwater Bay for year round living in a dry cabin?

Thanks for your input....

Sorry I don't have a clue about this area in Kodiak.
    Just curious what kind of wilderness experience you have? You can can read one mans wilderness 1,000 times and still end up like Christopher McCandless in the book Into The Wild.
    I am not trying to diss you But a little background into your experience level would help. Have you ever built a cabin before? Hunted and Fished in Alaska or something similiar? Run small boats on the Ocean? Preserved your own fish and game without electricity?
    What will be your source of income other than a PFD check? Nothing is completly free.
    Are you retired or are you looking to live cheap and like so many are fascinated by reading these Alaskan books?
    I have seen people get stuck in Alaska before. Penniless and no way to get back where they came from. They usually don't have any nearby friends or relatives .
    The one fellow I met did manage a cannery job after a week or sohe talked them into letting him run their skiff. That night he hit a commercial boat with the skiff and lost a 65 hp yahama off the back.Plus he got 5 stiches in his handfrom hitting the floor of the skiff.
    True story. He then said he was going home with what little money he had after 5 weeks at the cannery to get his stuff and come back. Not sure how he ended up.
    My point is Make sure you have a backup plan. Save some money so in an emergency you are not stuck in the middle of nowhere without any money or a way out. If you have some friends up here make sure it is ok for you to stay with them a couple of weeks or so if need be until you can get things going.
    There are a few people on this forum who live a similiar situation as you want to. I am not one of them but it may be wise to see how they like it and how there first few years went.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm not offended at all. I do have some experience...

I've lived in Alaska in the past. Spent about 6 years in Kodiak, lived for a year in Larson Bay. I also spent a year in Fairbanks. Helped pack for a guide in the Icy Bay area one season. Ran small boats in the CG and for a small fishing operation. I had my 6-pack license in around 1995

I've hunted deer, bear, and goats in Alaska. Have quite a bit of experience in working with game and living off of the meat.

I guess I am more interested in any specific information people might have about the property in Shearwater that I linked to in my post.

You might try talking to the local air taxi pilots. If they fly supplies in,they will know more.

shearwater is a busy place, there is an old cannery and several cabins on the north shore of the bay, the south shore on the ridge has a white metal dome on it that is used most every fall. the area the arrow is pointed at had a tent camp on it last year when i flew out. the bay isn't very protected depending on the wind. big bay, the pass runs all the way over to eagle harbor, would be an easy hike if you piece together the trails.
    gets dark in the late fall. pretty pretty place, couldn't tell you much about salmon in the area, but i do know it gets alot of traffic in the fall from deer hunters and i know the guide that works outa eagle harbor hunts there, steve perrins.
    most all the wood is old cottonwood...and alders..humm mm theres some alders!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Survey 2002-14

http://plats.landrecords.info/?searc...&value=2002-14

Make sure you read the notes on the first page. 50 foot easement on the section line and a 100 foot building set back on all public and navigable waterways. The owner claims there is a creek that has salmon in it running through the property. This property is on page 5

If this is considered a public water way then you would not be able to build with 100 feet of it and It may have the standard 50 public access easement (which means people could walk up it and fish, hike, etc.

Online case file (this was a State of Alaska Remote Cabin Site Staking parcel)
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/projects/las/C...121&LandFlag=y
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Excellent info homer, BRWNBR, and Alaskanmutt! Thanks!

Flew AirTAxi in Kodiak for many years. Shearwater is a major pass for AirTaxi aircraft going down the east side of the island to Old Harbor or Akhiok. The bay itself is fairly well protected (much more so than Boulder Bay to the east) for float plane landing. Saw LOTS of deer in that area - especially during the hard winter of 88-89 hundreds of deer kill on that beach as well as Santa Flavia beach. Never did see too many boats in the bay or fisherman on the stream there. That Igloo or Dome home has been there for a lot of years. I would contact Andrew Airways to see how much it would be to fly you out there. Small boat (say less than 20') from Kodiak or even Psagshak would be pretty iffy due to the fairly constant swell from the east. There are some other lodges in Ugak Bay and I believe there is one up at the head of Kiliuda bay.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm7496 View Post
    I'm not offended at all. I do have some experience...

I've lived in Alaska in the past. Spent about 6 years in Kodiak, lived for a year in Larson Bay. I also spent a year in Fairbanks. Helped pack for a guide in the Icy Bay area one season. Ran small boats in the CG and for a small fishing operation. I had my 6-pack license in around 1995

I've hunted deer, bear, and goats in Alaska. Have quite a bit of experience in working with game and living off of the meat.
    Thanks for the reply. I for one just wouldn't feel right if someone got hurt or whatever because of something they read or advice followed on this forum.
    It would seem you are the type who fits this lifestyle very well.
    Good luck finding you dream property.
    Wish I could be of more help.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"