Thread: scope or peep sight a 308 blr or red dot.

Default scope or peep sight a 308 blr or red dot.

I am getting a blr in 308 because I have a lefty friend that comes up during black bear over bait and moose season it is cheaper to buy a rifle than to ship it back and forth each time as luggage.

I also have a lefty wife and daughter. Hopefully get the wife shooting soon.

I also want to be able to use the rifle even though I have an 30-06.

So should I put peep sight or a straight 4x scope.or the burris fireflightII basically a tiny style red dot.

I have a scope on the 06 so I was leaning to the peep with a fire sight since most all shots will be 100 yards and under it would be a good bait gun and for where we hunt for moose it should do fine .but a scope is easier for most people to shoot accurately.

Let me know what you think.

Best of both worlds...trijicon accupoint 1-4 with a red post

Midwayusa and riflescopes.com both sell a weaver v3( I think that's the name). It's a 1-3 powered straight tubed scope. It has dozens of 5 star reviews on midwayusa. There were user reports of folks putting this scope on 375's, 416's, 338 win mags, and other large bore rifles. The shocking thing about this little scope is that on riflescopes.com it was a little over a $100 dollars. I'm going to pick on up and I'll let yah know how it holds up.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Midwayusa and riflescopes.com both sell a weaver v3( I think that's the name). It's a 1-3 powered straight tubed scope. It has dozens of 5 star reviews on midwayusa. There were user reports of folks putting this scope on 375's, 416's, 338 win mags, and other large bore rifles. The shocking thing about this little scope is that on riflescopes.com it was a little over a $100 dollars. I'm going to pick on up and I'll let yah know how it holds up.
    I had one of those on a 450 Ackley back in the early 90's. Good little scope for the price.

I'll pipe up on behalf of the peep. With about three dozen rifles and about half of them scoped, the backup rifle I take on hunts is always peep sighted. Dandy if the weather is drenching, and not much of a sacrifice in shooting range for average hunting conditions. And you'll certainly welcome it in tight quarters. I would go with the fire sight, too.

Here's a "tip" about sighting in with peep sights. Do so with the POI right at the top of the front sight at 100 yards or so. That way the top edge of the bead is your aiming point, rather than the middle of the bead or whatever. The tiniest bead will pretty well cover a deer's vitals at 100 yards, leaving you to guess about the exact poi. Inside 100 and fast shooting, you'll never know the difference if you just use the bead to cover your intended impact point. But if ranges stretch past 100, that kind of sighting lets you do some real precise shot placement while not hiding the animal behind the bead. The power and trajectory of a 308 certainly justifies being able to place your shots accurately to 200 yards and well beyond, and sighting in with the peep and the POI at the top of the bead will certainly let you do it. I can guarantee that if you sight in for POI at the center of the bead, a deer will be completely hidden by the sight at 200 yards.

My wife is a "master" of this kind of sighting. We put 16 ounce plastic drink bottles of water out at 75 yards and shoot offhand. You can't even see them if you sight in for a POI at the center of the bead. But shooting my (her!) Savage 99 in 250 Savage, I've watched her go 10 straight exploding the drink bottles. And not just occasionally. That level of offhand accuracy is becoming her standard with that rifle and a peep sight.

Default dots

I use peeps a LOT, and love them. Sight them in like Brownbear says, our DI called it 6 oclock post.

That being said last year my wife bought me an Aimpoint micro red dot sight. Nothing is faster! I had it on my 45/70 all last year guiding to see how tough it was and it held up great. I switched it over to my 338 federal last fall and took it sheep hunting, killed a ram at just over 225 yards or so. With the Aimpoint the more I turn it down the finer the dot appears to be, and that makes precise shot placement easier. Peeps will never fail but the good red dots are incredible too.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'll pipe up on behalf of the peep. With about three dozen rifles and about half of them scoped, the backup rifle I take on hunts is always peep sighted. Dandy if the weather is drenching, and not much of a sacrifice in shooting range for average hunting conditions. And you'll certainly welcome it in tight quarters. I would go with the fire sight, too.

Here's a "tip" about sighting in with peep sights. Do so with the POI right at the top of the front sight at 100 yards or so. That way the top edge of the bead is your aiming point, rather than the middle of the bead or whatever. The tiniest bead will pretty well cover a deer's vitals at 100 yards, leaving you to guess about the exact poi. Inside 100 and fast shooting, you'll never know the difference if you just use the bead to cover your intended impact point. But if ranges stretch past 100, that kind of sighting lets you do some real precise shot placement while not hiding the animal behind the bead. The power and trajectory of a 308 certainly justifies being able to place your shots accurately to 200 yards and well beyond, and sighting in with the peep and the POI at the top of the bead will certainly let you do it. I can guarantee that if you sight in for POI at the center of the bead, a deer will be completely hidden by the sight at 200 yards.

My wife is a "master" of this kind of sighting. We put 16 ounce plastic drink bottles of water out at 75 yards and shoot offhand. You can't even see them if you sight in for a POI at the center of the bead. But shooting my (her!) Savage 99 in 250 Savage, I've watched her go 10 straight exploding the drink bottles. And not just occasionally. That level of offhand accuracy is becoming her standard with that rifle and a peep sight.
    That savage 99 is one of the best handling rifles I've ever shot offhand. It's a shame they stopped making it

You got that right!

I first fell in love with it around guys shooting 300's and one with a 308, all peep sighted. They made long shots offhand that left me standing there with my mouth hanging open. Once I got my first one and really learned how to shoot it, I left a few mouths hanging open, too.

Only one of mine (a 284) is scoped. Dandy rifle and does very well offhand, but it has never felt "right" with the scope on it. Old habits are hard to break.

Default 99s

the 99 is a great rifle, a lot of the older ones are hard to scope as the top of some of the receivers were not milled straight and requires some innovative shimming. I let a nice 358 slip through my hands a few years ago and will always regret it.

Been useing a peep from 1965 and see no reason to change

Well I ordered a peep from new england custom guns that you mount a weaver base and it mounts on the weaver . I will try it with the peep and a firesight front sight and if it works well that way I think I will be happy. Thank for all the information this should be a nice light rifle with adequate power.