Thread: 3 Day Alaskan Survival Class With Myke Hawke

Exclamation 3 Day Alaskan Survival Class With Myke Hawke

Myke Hawke is a former U.S. Special Forces Survival Instructor who has been featured on the History, Discovery, Learning and Travel Channels. He is a subject matter expert who appears on the "I Shouldn't Be Alive" show.

He has his own co. and web site for further info and a bio see:

www.incredible-adventures.com/specops.html

or drop me a line with your questions.

Class Size: Minimum to hold class 6 guys. At 6 guys, cost will be around $500. Maximum size 10-12, the more students the lower the price.

When: Exact dates to be determined by the class. Sept 15-Oct 15, 2007 over a 3 day weekend.

Where: Open to location ideas. Right now I am thinking about a state park.

Camp will move 10-12 miles each day as land navigation will be covered, fire starting in wet conditions, shelter building and any other related skills the class would like. This class will be physically and mentally demanding.

I posted this here as I feel that the students will be Outfitters, guides, hunters and outdoorsman.

Here's another guy, based in Alaska, who puts on a good course. Most of his stuff is focused on surviving a light aricraft crash in Alaska.

http://www.survivaltraining.com/

Default Intereted

Tried to PM you but it says you do not accept PM's. I would be interested pending exact dates. Are you putting together a list of people, or just posting the info?

Default class

blackfoot;

i am attempting to get enough students to have the class. then we can pick dates. you may send your p.m.. once we have 6 or more than we can pick a location and dates.

guys appreciate it if we keep this thread pertaining to this class and on topic. we can have another thread about other schools, instructors or what have you, if you start another thread.

thanks.

Still can't send a p.m. It says you do not accept PM's.

blackfoot

Default p.m. problems

blackfoot;

p.m. sent to you.

Default would love to

I would be happy to donate the use of Canoes, Kayaks, rafts if you would like to make that part of the mix. If you want to do the course on the Kenai peninsula I have state park, and Kenai Federal permits for commercial activities. Just an offer if you are interested.
    I would love to take a course.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

i thought that sept/oct would be good so we would have some colder temps to make the training more realistic. training will be held over a weekend to minimize time lost from work.

if we do later in the season, then it may get too cold. over the summer, too warm.

open to ideas for dates and places.

Default Granite creek campground

Located at mile post 63 of the Seward highway. This campground is near the Johnson pass trail head. provides a nice sized river, and areas for other activities.
    This would be a pretty good place within a 1.25 hrs from Anchorage.
    This River is one of the many that confluence down stream a few miles that then turns into 6 mile creek.
    Shallow yet navigable and easy in and out if you wanted to use wading techniques or water rescue without having big water problems.
    good campground with easy hiking to steep cliffs etc. nearby.
    Here's one idea anyway
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default class location

akcanoe;

you will be an asset to the class. that locale works for me, if it works for everyone else. any permits necessary for that area? proximity to anchorage airport is a plus.

now we just need a couple of more guys and we have a class.

next we need to talk about dates.

Exclamation tentative class info update, location & dates

response has been good.

******************Tentative dates are sept 14,15,16**************

location: tentative location per akcanoe's suggestion 1.5 hrs from anchorage

2 paramedics will be present during the class to ensure safety.

bubbas will be screened out. only the serious should apply.

class will be conducted along the vein of an s.f. class. meaning you can take a knife, compass, either a mag' bar or mag' glass thats it and oh the clothes on your back.