Thread: Valdez bear

Default Valdez bear

I was just wondering if there are any areas that are closed to black bear hunting around the city of Valdez. I looked in the regs and appeared that it was all open to hunting. Thinking of heading down that way for a day in the near future and doing some spot and stalk. Thanks!

There are hunting restrictions around Valdez. I can't remember the rules well enough well to quote them, but pretty much no hunting around town and within so far from the road. I would call the Cordova F&G office and ask.

Good Luck

Steve

Here is the map created by the city of Valdez. I cant find it written anywhere but I have heard that you cannot discharge a firearm with in two miles of the refinery or oil terminal.

http://www.ci.valdez.ak.us/police/pu...rappingMap.pdf

Default VDZ hunting

Just got back and saw two different blackies on the hillside accross from the tidal flats........no harvesting of black bears below 3000' around the city within the mapped boundary though.

What I did when I lived there was go visit the Valdez Police Station and speak directly to them, they are the most familiar with the restrictions around the immediate area. I discussed the meaning of said restrictions and the map with them in order to be clear as things was rather foggy when just deciphering the "map".

Black bear are plentiful near and around Valdez, getting to them is another matter. The majority of terrain is STEEP, rugged and brushy. A lot of "fly on the wall" country if you get my meaning. I climbed after several before I was able to connect and I watched many, many more than I pursued. Also there is the occasional brown bear about, I saw 2 in the three years I lived there when looking for black bear. Challenging hunting to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mainship34 View Post
    Just got back and saw two different blackies on the hillside accross from the tidal flats........no harvesting of black bears below 3000' around the city within the mapped boundary though.
    Are you sure it's 3000'? The map posted above has 2000' marked off, as if it has significance.

It is above the 2000' line that you have to be to discharge a firearm. Best thing to do is stop at the cop shop and get the ordanance thats in writing that spells out exactly where you can and cant shoot and what you can and can shoot. There's a few areas that are shotgun only.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by CGBMC View Post
    Here is the map created by the city of Valdez. I cant find it written anywhere but I have heard that you cannot discharge a firearm with in two miles of the refinery or oil terminal.

http://www.ci.valdez.ak.us/police/pu...rappingMap.pdf

when i lived down there much of the local area around town.. was Archery only... out of site of the road of course... that came from ONE hunter bow hunted a large bear by the salmon stream in front of some folks. rifle/ gun use is/was restricted rather heavily though every year bears cause numerous issues for both the popo and animal control person... (i think she still has my cat) lots and lots of bears in them hills around valdez... marshal pass... stone mountain, are all accessible to some degree.. the locals will have the mineral creek and glacier areas already baited... so new comers with have to work on getting away from town some... but LOTS of bears there...

i always hunter Thompsons pass north and always found bears... second -3rd week of may... 20th ish... if you cnat find a bear to watch you don't know what your doing... from 19 mile all the way to 76 mile.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I talked with the police at Valdez last year about your very question. No bang sticks in city limits and above a certain elevation. There was one boar that was so big I contemplated climbing above the evation limit to carry him down. The officer also told me that you can bow hunt in city limits. He did advise not to shoot them off the flats. It is legal, but every bear that visits the flats has a name and the locals would be a bit upset if you did shoot their Yogi.

Legal to shoot em in town with a bow--ethical is up to you. I would like to not read about someone shooting yogi with a bow on the flats in Valdez and another string of anti-hunter sentiment running about.

If you do go down there, take a drive down the airport road past the range and admire the bountiful goats playing on the mountainside. We counted 79 goats at one time.

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    It is legal, but every bear that visits the flats has a name and the locals would be a bit upset if you did shoot their Yogi.
    NO,the tidal flats just before town are a No Hunting area. Even to bow. It was changed a few years ago when some bow hunter shot a bear in front of some bear watchers. There are some areas that if you used your brain to think, could be natural funnels for the bears in quite a few areas around town.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Maps and City Ordinances

Maybe this will help with any questions you have regarding hunting in Valdez.

This link includes the ordinances governing shooting and hunting. The attached map is pretty crappy.
    http://nt5.scbbs.com/cgi-bin/om_isap...#JUMPDEST_9.32

This link is a better map of the restricted hunting/shooting areas.
    http://www.ci.valdez.ak.us/police/do...rappingMap.pdf

As has been previously mentioned...a colored copy of the map and the applicable ordinances are available at the police department. And, those bears everyone sees on the Tideflats are NOT legal.

-BTC

Can anyone track down an updated link for the restricted hunting and shooting areas in valdez that were previously posted? thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Can anyone track down an updated link for the restricted hunting and shooting areas in valdez that were previously posted? thanks
    This info seems to be current, although the map quality is terrible. maybe someone has a high resolution one.

http://www.codepublishing.com/ak/val...aldez0932.html