Thread: Homer Charter question

Default Homer Charter question

We may have a day to fill and am thinking of taking a charter out of the Homer/ Anchor point area. My buddy has a boat and we get all the chickens we want but its a 26ft boat with one motor so we dont go out to far 30 miles or so. One of the day i am up there it will be a bit crowded on the boat due to relatives stopping by so i thought a charter may be a good way to fill up a day. I would like to go out "WHERE THE BIG DOGS BARK" and look for some big fish. we have not broke the 45lb mark yet and i would love to hit a few turkeys or bigger. Again not looking for chickens at all we can get all those we want. Any suggestions?

look up tacklebuster charters and request captain keith, I think his boat is called the ocean hunter. He won the derby 2-3 years ago, and he will go out where the big fish are

other charters that you might try are josh on the huntress (out of bob's), tony on the falcon (call north country, i think), mike swan on the beausoliel (owner operator) peter karwowski on the sorceress (magic waters, owner operator), and joe on the pacific sun (north country).
    josh is relatively new to the game, but he does an excellent job and has earned quite a good reputation. the other guys have all fished here for more than 20 years, live here year-round, and charter for a living, not a hobby.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

-Otherwise follow Dave's advice, he's a pretty skookum dude.....
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-02-2010 at 14:45.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

There are some guys around that love to fish and get their clients into some nice fish. You'll also find that there are guys that will take less than 6 or 4 people if you ask. A lot of those boats you'll be going out with people you don't know so that the captain can get everything possible for his boat. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I know there are people that have just groups of 2 or 3 and only want to fish with their group.

You might also try Ron Hurley on the Sweet T. at www.in2fishin.com. He's a great guy and last year he got his client the winning halibut in the Jackpot Derby.

Josh on the Huntress is often times within the same area I fish all the time and he does great on winter kings. I can't talk for his halibut abilities, though. But he is part of Bob's Trophy Charters and they seem to have fish on the derby leader board consistently.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-02-2010 at 14:45. Reason: referenced deleted comment

As I was saying kgpcr, HomerDave has put the time in, and knows both Homer and Kachemak Bay better than most.

He's a longtime poster here that in my observations puts people's wants and needs ahead of any personal or financial gain. You'd do well to heed his advice.

Good luck on your trip!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

peter karwowski on the sorceress (magic waters, owner operator),

This is one of the guys homer suggested,,we use him every year and have caught at least one over 60# every time out.. Several years we have caught multiple 100+ pounders.
    And 3 years ago we hooked up on a 310 pounder..
    You would be dang lucky if he hasn't already booked for the year,,but hes well worth the try..
    We always just book up with him for the next year while we are there..

Went out with Bobs trophy charters one time,great boats and great people.
    I think Josh was a deck hand then but not for sure on that, if its the same guy im thinking of hes a very hard worker and very pleasnt to be around.
    We didn't catch any big ones with em, but it was very rough water and none of the boats went out to far that day.

Well, since it seems the rules are being modified to accommodate one of our newer and more effeminate posters simply shoot me a PM and I will happily tell you who to avoid like the plague......

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Wink NCC

Try Ben Martin with North Country as well him and his father are good friends of mine and they do whatever is in their power to get you what you want. Good people and good times. Tell them Rob and Benay sesnt you.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Well, since it seems the rules are being modified to accommodate one of our newer and more effeminate posters simply shoot me a PM and I will happily tell you who to avoid like the plague......
    Is there something wrong with a female posting on this site? I sure hope not. Pudge Kleinkauf is all woman and definitely "more effeminate" and I would be honored to have her show me some fly fishing techniques any time.

And if there's someone we all should "avoid like the plague" please let us all know. I'd love to know so I don't send them any business by mistake.

Speaking of Skookum, you might want to give Jim Lavrakas at Skookum Charters a "shout" as well. He is a VERY knowledgeable fisherman and he's got a Skookum boat. He's chartering out of Homer now and I'd go out with him any day. You can see what he has to offer here: http://www.akskookumcharters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

And if there's someone we all should "avoid like the plague" please let us all know. I'd love to know so I don't send them any business by mistake.

Not to worry. It's being handled.

PM's replied to gang (wow 5 off this thread alone!), glad to be of service!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Not to worry. It's being handled.

PM's replied to gang (wow 5 off this thread alone!), glad to be of service!
    If you could reply to my PM I'd really appreciate it. I'd really love to know who this person is.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    If you could reply to my PM I'd really appreciate it. I'd really love to know who this person is.

What PM?

Sorry, having grown up in Alaska, and I can smell B8FISH a peninsula away.....

i don't think the mutt has been a member long enough to use the PM system.

Look up Capt. Mike Swan www.spiritcharters.com or Capt. Tony on the Falcon at www.falconcharters.com

I'd get after it though both guys book up fast. They are very good at their trade and we always catch nice fish. Weather is key. If weather is good, fishing will be good.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

some other guys that you can't go wrong with are mike huff of captain mikes,
    greg on the tomahawk, daniel on the optimist, and norm on the sea otter.
    pike palace is right though, the guys with good reps and long histories book up fast.

Default It works on Survivor!

Dear Abby'
    Well, this isn't about homer charters but it is about fishing. I'm fishing about for some opinion here. Ever since this forum became so plagued with hate and discontent, Ive not spent much time on any of these boards. Then today I came back just to see if the smoke had cleared and low and behold, in the top ten is ANOTHER one with potential.
    Surely by now, everyone knows what's going on and what I'm refering to and if a social predator like myself is not interested in reading all that blather, I'm wondering what the remainder think. Especially the moderators? I'd like to come to the table and enjoy the read again. Can we do like the Survivor dudes and put a players light out?
    Discouraged, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSHOVEL85 View Post
    Try Ben Martin with North Country as well him and his father are good friends of mine and they do whatever is in their power to get you what you want. Good people and good times. Tell them Rob and Benay sesnt you.

Rob
    Either that or tell them Zack sent you