View Poll Results: The rifle I use/have seen used/is recommended by Alaska Guides is:

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • .30-06

13 11.21%
  • .45-70

12 10.34%
  • .300 Winmag

7 6.03%
  • .338 Winmag

23 19.83%
  • .375 H&H

41 35.34%

6 5.17%
  • other .3xx caliber (please explain)

13 11.21%
  • other .4xx caliber (please explain)

1 0.86%
  • other .2xx caliber (please explain)

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am an Alaskan Guide, and I carry a .xxx Rifle...

Default I am an Alaskan Guide, and I carry a .xxx Rifle...

I have been out of Alaska Hunting for well over 10years now...and it looks like things may have changed greatly in what is the desired carry gun of Alaska Guides.

So, a short poll to get the "Real Story" about the prefered "Guide Gun" for Alaska.

If you are an Alaska Guide (or have been on a hunt and know WHAT your guide carried) please participate in the poll above.

I just want to get to the truth in advertizing! What are you carrying/recommending?

(Seriously?)

You have again skewed the whole thread toward your Love for lever guns. You ask the question "WHAT RIFLE" then everything is about the cartridge. If you like lever guns fine. I like lever guns, but I would never ever, ever carry a lever gun professionally. I would rather use any cartridge in a three position wing safety firearm, than your 45/70 lever gun.

Any time you want to take your lever gun to Wide Bay in 45 MPH wind/ Gusting to 65 MPH wind and work the beach with blowing silt packing the firearm. Or on the Dog Salmon River with blowing silt packing your lever gun solid in every orifice.

Yes my rifle will be packed with silt also. The difference is in 90 seconds and with "NO" TOOLS my Bolt action with 3-position wing safety can be field stripped and washed out and reassembled. Some days I have had to wash my bolt and trigger assembly up to 5 times per day.

The other factor is when a guide goes afield for 90 days he is afield with one rifle for all the species to be hunted. He/She may be called on to chase bears out of camp or finish wounded game at 300 yards.

If you love the lever gun fine. But it seems you are either selling them, or refuse to accept there limitations.

I also have firearms that I love, and they are fun to day hunt with. But a Guide Gun is a "TOOL" and nothing more than a TOOL, just like a "Handyman Jack" or a Bomb-shelter tent.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

But a Guide Gun is a "TOOL" and nothing more than a TOOL, just like a "Handyman Jack" or a Bomb-shelter tent.
    I always thought that all firearms are nothing more than tools. Just a different tool for a different job.

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    I always thought that all firearms are nothing more than tools. Just a different tool for a different job.

Hard for me to think of a $70,000.00 rifle as a "Tool" and not as a museum work of ART.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You have again skewed the whole thread toward your Love for lever guns.
    LMAO! Better go back and check your facts. I too am fed up with levergun-itis, and DON'T believe it is a good choice for an Alaska "guide gun". (see the "seriously?" below the picture above).

Actually MY (highly PERSONAL) preferance (stated many times!) is a Remington 721 in a .300H&H converted to shoot a .300Weatherby cartridge. But that is because of sentimental reasons, and I have been thinking of getting a .375H&H instead.

The ONLY lever action rifle I like is the "traditional" cowboy style (strait rear stock/no pistol grip/with saddle ring) Winchester 1894.
    Great Arizona gun.

But that's NOT an Alaska Guide gun.

I just wanted to know if the Marlin .45-70 "Guide Gun" (seriously?) was really "truth in advertizing" actually being used by Guides in Alaska, or whether folks were still using the good old caliber choices of my younger days (and which ones). Good news to me, it seems the OLD WAYS still live.

Right now it looks like a split between the .338 and the .375, with ZERO using the .45-70. (in any configuration rifle). But it's hard to base that conclusively on just 4 people answering the POLL so far...maybe SOME professional guides DO use it, or other choices in the .3xx/Weatherby/other .4xx lineup.

I'm Interested to know what IS being used by guides, and what is being recommended as the rifle/cartridge of choice for Alaska Guided Hunting these days. ARE you all carrying .40+cal's for GUIDE work these days? Do we have any GUIDES on the forum?

It's an honest question...and meant to get honest recommendations for folks who may be looking at what the REAL GUIDES are using these days, and may be in the markey for a new rifle choice...and want the opinion of the experts that have to stake their reputations on it.

Default Again, for clarification...

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    I have been out of Alaska Hunting for well over 10years now...and it looks like things may have changed greatly in what is the desired carry gun of Alaska Guides.

So, a short poll to get the "Real Story" about the prefered "Guide Gun" for Alaska.

If you are an Alaska Guide (or have been on a hunt and know WHAT your guide carried) please participate in the poll above.

I just want to get to the truth in advertizing! What are you carrying/recommending?
    Quoted again, for clarification.

Of the three rifles I've used, liked the double .500 H&H the best, .416 Rigby on a Ruger action next and the .458 Pre 64 M/70 third. .500 and .416 worked well in just about every "safe" brush situation.
    Most of the bear guides I know use .375s; good gun - just never used it myself.
    Joe (Ak)

Thanks Joe! I am wondering if some folks are going to the .40's+? And if so, which ones.
    I appologize for not putting a .5xx choice! (I forgot it).
    Thank you for participating in the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    Thanks Joe! I am wondering if some folks are going to the .40's+? And if so, which ones.
    I appologize for not putting a .5xx choice! (I forgot it).
    Thank you for participating in the poll.
    Not sure who else might have been using a .500 but the "window" was pretty narrow of the bears we could not take at closer ranges. Liked the .416 better than the .458 but the .458 was good.
    Probably been only about the last 15 years I've been aware of guides using the .416.
    Joe (Ak)

Yup, setting aside my sentiment for the .300, I've been looking at the .375H&H (or Weatherby), but some folks (very respected) have mentioned the .416.

I also have been intrigued by the .340Weatherby...but have no experience...and I'm not sure I could find one as easy.

I have seen a LOT of posts suggesting the .375 being the most carried by the pro's...but I wanted to POLL the question to be sure.
    (as well as actually kinda find out how many were REALLY carrying a 45-70 "guide gun"..quote-unquote..for real guide work).

Im not a guide, but I have fired a shot or two and my choice is a 375 ruger...270 grain loads from Hornady at 2800 FPS and 300 grain Nosler at about 2600 in a reliable ruger
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Like anything else, there are trends in guns. There has been a recent explosion in popularity with leverguns, thus the popularity of the guide gun. I voted for the 45-70 because I've read several articles lately about guides using them.

Would some of the others work just as well? Of course. A 375 or larger bolt gun has significantly more power than anything chambered in a lever gun, but you can't argue with the quick-handling nature of a guide gun, or the short-range stopping power of a wide meplat heavy bullet. There probably aren't many people who can fire a follow-up shot as quickly with a bolt rifle either.

Add to that the fact that they are significantly cheaper than ANY rifle chambered in the big-bore bolt calibers and it's no wonder they are so popular. I paid all of $445.00 for my 1895M (.450 Marlin) and I am confident it will be one of my favorites for a long time.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Kenny Schoonover (recently retired) guided for many decades while packing a 458 Winchester bolt gun. He was big on mauser style actions! He also recommended taping the floor plate closed. When you think about it most floor plate latches are pretty fickle and it wouldn't take much to render it useless. I can't imagine hunting bear with a floor plate that was flapping in the breeze cuz it wouldn't stay shut.

AKS, Good point about the cheaper cost, and about the short range usability.

I am just curious if many Guides have really made the 45-70 their "Guide Gun"...as Marlin's title would lead one to believe.
    Or if it was just excellent marketing. Self fulfilling, if you will.

And I was hoping for some confirmation on the .375 being the typical gun of choice amongst those whose reputation is at stake....Or if not the .375, then which one it is.

Which gun is the MOST COMMON choice with professionals who deal all season long with described silt/dirt issues, or finishing game at 300yds as well as 30yds...as AGL4 (a previous and respected professional guide, I believe) correctly mentions?

From the poll above, and many previous posts it looks like the .375 is a VERY common choice among the professionals.

I am also interested to see a few 30-06's being chosen as well by professional guides...also very interesting.

Also good point about the floorplate, EKC.

Has anyone on here actually shot a brown bear with a stout load of 45-70? Ive shot three black bears with my 45-70, 400 grain Barnes at 1800fps. Of course they were 50 yards or less..what the 45-70 was designed for,,up close and personal in my opinion, on aggressive critters. Its devastating. Just curious about taking the griz with one..anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Has anyone on here actually shot a brown bear with a stout load of 45-70? Ive shot three black bears with my 45-70, 400 grain Barnes at 1800fps. Of course they were 50 yards or less..what the 45-70 was designed for,,up close and personal in my opinion, on aggressive critters. Its devastating. Just curious about taking the griz with one..anyone???
    A welcome question...and a perfect thread to ask it.

And if so, at what range would you consider the MAX on it to safely/humanly take a Griz, and not leave it wounded for a Guide to have to follow up on with a longer range flat-shooter? And with what bullet? I'm assuming a Hardcast.

Any guides recommending/using a 45-70 for Griz hunting? And if so, Out to what range?

Looks like it will only allow me to vote for one. So I voted .375 H&H. I have mostly used Whitworth Mark X Mausers with 3-position wing safety conversions. I have used .300 Win. Mag. .338 WM .375 H&H, .416 Taylor and .458 Win. Mag.

Thanks for participating AGL4! And good post above. Good points.

Also, it should be mentioned that I know many folks feel they are "plenty fast" with a dependable bolt action, as they would be with a lever action...and have less worries/more range typically.

The only AK guide's rifles I've ever examined were when I helped his son and widow move so I never got to actually talk to him about his choices but I would have loved to. No information about what he actually guided for but his walls contained a lot of bears, carribou racks, moose antlers and an outstanding sheep. Lots of pictures on the mantle with supercubs and mountain tops.

All of the rifles (about a dozen) were 30-06s and every one was a M70 Winchester with open sights. Everyone of them looked like they had the snot kicked out of them too.

These were reportedly the extent of his collection and I thought it oddly contained no shotguns, no rimfires, and no handguns.

Cool I am an Alaskan Guide, and I carry a .xxx

375 RUGER, why? it will work when needed, DO have others, 358 STA/ 358 winchester, and desire no regrets, as we all have to live with them daily, bye, Coutro

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast