Thread: Antlerless Hunt on Rex Trail

Exclamation Antlerless Hunt on Rex Trail

Just got back from the antlerless moose hunt on the Rex Trail. Although we were successfull I was suprised on how few moose there are up there. With the last two years of antlerless hunts and then the any bull one this year I was expecting to see a lot more moose once we got way back in on the trail. We put a total of 110 mile on the snow machines and only saw three moose and all of them were from a distance and we really had to stop and look for them. The one that we did get we had to stalk for about 900 yards.

Unhappy

Keep in mind that this is an extremely large area you are talking about. Not limited to just the Rex Trail. We've been in there in november for two years now and have seen more moose there than the last 20 years in unit 13. My opinion is they keep getting driven farther and farther back each year. Last year we saw hundreds just off the trail and this year they were up in the valleys farther from the main trail. Sounds like maybe you were road hunting from the trail? We put on over 400 miles each year on the snowmachines. And this is not driving in and out every day either. We set up camp 40 or so miles in, stay for a week and go from there.

The sad thing is the number of people on this hunt that run them down and blast away at them. I am glad to hear about your patience to stalk it. We were appalled at what we saw people doing the first year we were back there. Especially the way some animals were "transported" back to the highway. I don't know about the rest of you, but dragging a moose 40 miles back to the truck with a rope isn't my idea of proper care of an animal. Went so far as to ask an officer about wantanwaste and he said nothing you can do if they take it all home. Sorry should be another topic, but I get a little wound up on things like that. Deep breath and move on.

Default Unbelievable...

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but dragging a moose 40 miles back to the truck with a rope isn't my idea of proper care of an animal. Went so far as to ask an officer about wantanwaste and he said nothing you can do if they take it all home.
    I can't believe someone would actually attempt that. Sad.

Congrats on the Rex hunt Big Su, I bet it was chilly out there.

Tim

I know a guy who drug one back fifty miles and he said he didn't loose barely a couple pounds if that and onlt because some gravel gets through the hide.. The moose is frozen solid and the hide does a good job of saving the meat.

You are correct, with the snow we did not go very far of the trails. We did seperate from the main trail after a ways but probably stayed within about 1000 yards of a trail most of the time except for the stalk. However I believe in treating that meat like gold so we had game bags and sleds to haul it out with. Maybe we will try going a littler further next time, happy huntin!

Angry moose

yes there are few moose now with the department lets go kill anything policy these last few years!!!!they are making it harder and harder to get a leagle bull, then killing cows and oh yea dont forget the calf kill as well.

bottom line they are idiots to allow such numbers and for so many years, i recomend using vacume pack bags for your frezzer meat as you will be wanting to savor it as the hunting sucks now and will only get worse in the next few years. HUM WHAT ARE THEY UP TO???GUIDES GOT THEM IN THERE POCKETS???

majic101

49 year resident used to be able to show visitors moose both cows and bulls any night of the week on south bank via air boat now luckey to see any

??????1 cow death equals how many moose per year loss(look it up) get the idea outta your heads i only killed 1 cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigSuBoater View Post
    Just got back from the antlerless moose hunt on the Rex Trail. Although we were successfull I was suprised on how few moose there are up there. With the last two years of antlerless hunts and then the any bull one this year I was expecting to see a lot more moose once we got way back in on the trail. We put a total of 110 mile on the snow machines and only saw three moose and all of them were from a distance and we really had to stop and look for them. The one that we did get we had to stalk for about 900 yards.

Default Hmmm

We've gotten our fill out there in record time the last two years and are going out again soon. It's a matter of knowing where to go. Definitely far off the trail is where you will find them. We saw none on trails but when we found them we got three in 45 minutes, and were surrounded by 3 more while butchering. We had to yell to chase them off.

I know people that are involved with ADFG and they say they are amazed by the number of moose they see. This isn't policy, these are friends. IF you want something to read go to the library and read the science articles about population dynamics, disease, and starvation related to over population. It's a normal process (ever heard of the hare cycles) and if we want our moose population to crash we can do nothing. If we want to maintain it, listen to the experts, they know more than you are giving them credit for.

good luck hunting