Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on where to flyfish on Kenai peninsula May21st-27th

Default Advice on where to flyfish on Kenai peninsula May21st-27th

I am taking leave in May (21-27) and am coming up to Alaska with my family. I plan on going flyfishing for kings and bows and would greatly appreciate any advice on what rivers/locations to visit. We are going to be traveling in Anchorage, Steward and Kenai areas. Thank you!

Might want to put that trip off a little, you may be a bit early for Kings.

Default Bad Timing

Sorry, but your dates are right in the middle of the rainbow spawn so the best rainbow fishing will be closed. The season is closed in just about all flowing waters on the Kenai Peninsula until mid June. You might have some luck on the Kasilof for kings and perhaps steelhead, but it's not likely to be fast and furious for either in late May.

Don't discount the local lakes. There are some nice trout to be had in some of the area lakes (just follow the regs on how far from the mouths of the creeks you need to be to be legal). There are a few lakes right on the road system from Anchorage to Seward, and countless more if you're willing to hike an hour or so.

May can be one of the most beautiful months in Alaska, but unfortunately for trout fishermen, not the best fishing.

Do not look anywhere other than the peninsula, there is nothing else............apparently.........
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

There are plenty of lakes on the kenai peninsula to fish when the flowing waters are closed. engineer lake on skilak lake loop road had always produced fish. Watson lake and the 3rd lake behind it afonsi (small boat or canoe needed) have always produced fish.

There is also this other area know as the parks highway. It tends to get shuuned a but but does have some quality fishing streams on it, Im dont fish them alot but I do fish them in may and have had decent success up there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for the advice. Where about's on the Parks Highway?

North of Wasilla would be a good starrt. Grab a copy of The Highway Angler (the bookstore on this site sells it), it will be an asset on your trip, as will a current copy of the Fishing Regs.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    There is also this other area know as the parks highway.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    What do you mean by ?

Great, thanks for the tip on the book. I am buying it now.

http://markandchrislundin.com/Fishing.htm

At the bottom is the 2007 trip and the first part is Peters Creek. Half way down the page is the 2009 trip with Peters Creek towards the end.

Make sure it's open, but take a look towards Peters Creek, as well as a couple other streams in the area.

They and the Forks Roadhouse treated us extremely well.

Default Great slide show.

I enjoyed your slide show on Peters Creek, 2Paws.

While I'm definitely not against killing a trout and eating it now and again, I'm afraid if we had too many groups the size of yours, killing that many trout in a day, we wouldn't have the fisheries we do in this state for long. I'm not too familiar with Peters creek though...Do they stock it or were those all wild fish on the stringer? I'm assuming wild fish and that's the only reason I'm making the comment.

Not tryin' to bust your chops, but I like having lots of trout in our rivers and I hope it stays that way

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by PDX View Post
    What do you mean by ?

He is amazed that something other than the Kenai/Kenai Peninsula was mentioned.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    http://markandchrislundin.com/Fishing.htm

At the bottom is the 2007 trip and the first part is Peters Creek. Half way down the page is the 2009 trip with Peters Creek towards the end.

Make sure it's open, but take a look towards Peters Creek, as well as a couple other streams in the area.

They and the Forks Roadhouse treated us extremely well.

I hope those bows tasted good and that your flight home also went well

Default I'm with you

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Do not look anywhere other than the peninsula, there is nothing else............apparently.........

If you'll look at the original post, you'll see that the op stated he would be heading from Anchorage down to the Kenai Peninsula and "Steward" (I'm pretty sure this meant Seward) I believe this is why the Kenai Peninsula lakes were the focus, as the Kenai Peninsula flowing waters will be closed.

As a resident of the Kenai Peninsula, I do like your idea of focusing attention on other areas of the state, though

Default Fishing the lakes

I enjoy the canoe trails on the kenai during May..
    the best weather month usually.
    it started that way already..nice weather pretty much the past 2 days..
    50 degrees at 3 pm today and only 25 degrees this morning at 6 am..
    perfect..
    let me know if I can be of any help getting to some lake fishing on the KENAI,,
    Hey Paws.. when you coming back so I can take you up to the glacier???
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

The Kenai is open below the Upper Killey. The majority of trout spawn a few miles upriver of the Upper Killey where the river is still closed. Fish below the Upper Killey will also be in the spawn but it is still open unless the regs have changed since last year. Most fly fishermen shun the notion of fishing this stretch of river that time of year but it is open and legally you're allowed to fish it. I live on the Peninsula so I can fish it whenever I want, but if I were in your shoes I'd probably give it a go even though most fly fishermen wait til it opens in June. Unless you can make it back to Alaska in September/October at some point...

Let the crucifixions begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    As a resident of the Kenai Peninsula, I do like your idea of focusing attention on other areas of the state, though
    You know why right? Its reverse psychology. He trys to get everyone pumped up, telling them there are monster 'bows all along the Parks highway. Eventually he convinces everyone..

And then...

Muzzy will be fishing the flippin Kenai, laughing at all us other jokers up north. He'll be sitting back, all alone on busiest river in the state; eating blueberry scones and drinking hot cocoa with sprinkles.

No; No my friends, don't believe him. Im here to tell you; there are NO fish North of Peters Creek. And with gas at 3 dollars and change per gallon.. do you really want to test it?

To the OP- you've got some good advice so far in this thread. Plenty of fishing on the Pen. Hit up some lakes. If running water is your thing, then head north, by the time you get here, things should be heating up some. Either way, you'll be on the water, fishing and enjoying life.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I enjoyed your slide show on Peters Creek, 2Paws.

While I'm definitely not against killing a trout and eating it now and again, I'm afraid if we had too many groups the size of yours, killing that many trout in a day, we wouldn't have the fisheries we do in this state for long. I'm not too familiar with Peters creek though...Do they stock it or were those all wild fish on the stringer? I'm assuming wild fish and that's the only reason I'm making the comment.

Not tryin' to bust your chops, but I like having lots of trout in our rivers and I hope it stays that way

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed the pics.

I appreciate your concern for the resourse and your opinion, even more so I appreciate your ability to express it cordially.

We fished Peters Creek for 2.5 days. There were 9 of us and we kept 9 fish and were the only fishermen we saw. In two weeks we ate 4 Pinks from Resurrection Creek, 3 Reds from the Kenai, 6 trout from Quartz Creek, 6 trout from the Russian and 9 trout from Peters Creek. I doubt we made much of an impact on total numbers.

We didn't eat any Grayling this trip as they just don't taste that good.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    I doubt we made much of an impact on total numbers. .

What about the other thousand groups do that? You have no idea how many people have that same perception when they come up here fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast