Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Annual Kenai King Contest... who's in?

Default 3rd Annual Kenai King Contest... who's in?

OK... the Kenai River sonar crew is now busily preparing for 2010 and officially starts counting ER kings in about two weeks. Anyone else getting excited about the upcoming season?

I started this little game for fun two years ago, and it has morphed into something a little bigger and better at every step of the way thanks to the participation and generosity of many board members. Last year's prize list blew away all my expectations... especially since this contest is 100% free to registered board members. All you have to do is submit your educated predictions. So join in the fun!

Thanks in advance to those that plan to donate prizes for 2010. Once again, I am going to ask all prize donors to specify whether the prize they will be giving away will go to first place, second place, or third place. That way even a prize-donor has a legitimate shot at winning something.

Have fun.... may the best guess win.... AND....

LET THERE BE KINGS!

2010 Rules:

1) Reply to this thread by 11:59 PM on May 15 with your guess as to what the first day's (May 16) Kenai River early run sonar estimate will be.

2) You must also include a tie-breaking guess at what the fifth day's (May 20) sonar estimate will be.

3) Winning entry will be the guess closest to the May 16 sonar estimate published on the ADFG website without going over. Results should be posted by mid-afternoon on Monday May 17.

4) In the event of identical "winning" entries for May 16, there will be a few added days of suspense. The winning tie-breaking entry will be the guess closest to the May 20 sonar estimate published on the ADFG website without going over. Results of the tie breaker should be posted by mid-afternoon on Friday May 21.

5) In the event of identical "tie-breaking" May 20 entries, the entrant who first posted them shall be declared the winner.

6) The second closest May 16 guess without going over shall determine the second place winner. (The loser of a tied first place guess is NOT a second place prize-winner). The May 20 guess shall settle a possible tie on May 16 for second place. In case of another tie on May 20, the closest tie-breaking guess posted first on this thread shall be the winner.

7) Third place shall be determined in similar fashion.

I will have BrianM update the portion below so that a current list of prizes stays at the top of the thread.

FIRST PLACE PRIZES:

fishNphysician will send the FIRST PLACE winner a choice of any THREE new-in-the-package:

2009 www.Ifish.net "eyeFISH II" K-15 Kwikfish

2010 www.ifish.net "ampersat" MagLip (Flatfish M2SP) aka "Cheese Measles"

2010 www.ifish.net "Parker" K-15 Kwikfish

and Bernard Rosenberg will give the first prize winner one of his electronic gizmos.

Rosenberg/Florida
    http://www.electronicfishinglures.com

and the Alaska Outdoors Supersite (that would be this site) will donate a copy of The Highway Angler from our bookstore.

and Muttley Crew Fishing Charters is donating a halibut/salmon combo for two in glorious Kachemak Bay. Good any time dates are available and includes gas, bait and all the tackle. Offer good through March 31, 2011.

SECOND PLACE PRIZES:

fishNphysician will send the SECOND PLACE winner a choice of any TWO new-in-the-package:

and third place gets a free raft rental for one day. This includes a 14 ft Kenai drifter raft, the trailer to haul it on, the life vests, safety gear rowing frame and oars.
    you can use this prize in May ( what will be left of it) , June, August, or sept.
    Of course, please reserve a few days in advance.. that way we can make sure one is available on the day you want it.
    - Max (Alaskacanoe)
    www.alaskacanoetrips.com
    953-2331

and the Alaska Outdoors Supersite will donate a copy of Fishing Alaska's Kenai Peninsula from our bookstore.

THIRD PLACE PRIZES:

fishNphysician will send the THIRD PLACE winner a choice of ONE new-in-the-package:

and JediMasterSalmonSlayer will send the third place winner 1 brand new - KISS Make-up Kit.

and the Alaska Outdoors Supersite will donate a copy of Fishing Alaska's Kenai River from our bookstore.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-05-2010 at 19:10. Reason: adding prizes
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Since I work here, I won't accept any prizes should I get stupid lucky and win. That being said, I want to venture a guess.

May 16th - 34 kings

May 20th - 72 kings

Guess I better get my licks in there, too!

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic than Brian for opening day.... but a bit more bullish for day 5.

May 16 = 42 kings
    May 20 = 51 kings
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

May 16- 39

20th- 51

May 16 -- 45
    May 20 -- 53

May 16 -- 1
    May 20 -- 100 000 000

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Gotta Jump In

May 16th------44 KIngs

May 20th------77 Kings

Good lucky numbers May one of them be the 80 pound King with my name on his side.
    Mark

Default The best guess

May 16= 72 bright KINGS

May 20= 68 bright KINGS

I might be off one fish if I catch the one below the counter on the 16th.
    I cannot wait to get up and start fishing, 5 weeks this year. Gerberman

May 16: 57

May 20: 84

May 16th- 35
    May 20th- 47

Default Electronic Fishing Lures

I've donated every year and I will donate this year. I will give the first prize winner one of my electronic gizmos, and quit laughing. My customers provide the 3:1 catch rate testimonials and photos and not me!

And oh by the way, no guesses again from this boy. The fish despise me because I'm an out-of-towner...

Rosenberg/Florida
    http://www.electronicfishinglures.com
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

may 16 = 6 kings
    may 20 = 22
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default My estimate

I will say

May 16th 48 kings
    May 20th 62 kings

I have to inform you that I have a slight advantage, as I can walk over to the bank and see the sonar from my house. I will let 48 kings pass the sonar and then I will go over and pull the plug so that it can not count any more.

Good luck everybody. Let this be a great year of fishing with the river full of kings, clear water, and sunshine every day!!

Scott

May 16. 30
    May 20. 43

May 16-27
    May 20 (my b-day on which I will turn...) 43
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Since I have yet to see or fish for an Alaskan salmon and become more confused daily as to how to go about catching one, I might as well take a guess:

May 16-44
    May 20-71

Goose

Default My unedumacated guess is

May 16-13
    20th-27
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Im going to be positive.......

May 16th = 99
    May 20th = 137

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrab24 View Post
    Im going to be positive.......

May 16th = 99
    May 20th = 137
    Hard to beat the power of positive thinking. All three winners last year submitted 3 of the 4 highest predictions in the contest.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...&postcount=112

Keep the entries coming, folks!
    The KeenEye MD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast