Thread: Hornady XTP 180 gr. bullet in .44 Special

Question Hornady XTP 180 gr. bullet in .44 Special

Anyone have any experience with this bullet at normal .44 Special velocity ( no more than say 900 FPS )? Expansion? Penetration? Accuracy?

Thank you

It worked well for me out of a 2" Taurus, penetrated two one-gallon water-jugs and stopped in the third, might have even exited the third, but I had a wood back-stop behind that one, good expansion. Never took any game with it. My favorite bullet in the .44spl is the 200g Gold-dot, similar penetration to the XTP, and better expansion with the short-barrelled Taurus I had. I got rid of the Taurus, but I still keep my 4" Redhawk loaded with 200g .44spl Gold-dots when it's in the house, that way the wife won't hesitate to grab it if she needs to.
    -J

Not good, you would be better off with the 240 gr XTP.
    Expansion tests are just a folly in water jugs or anything else. Over expansion can be a detriment on game. You still want penetration. Two jugs are not what I would want for hunting, even deer.
    The best revolver I have for hunting will blow up 4 jugs, split 2 more and exit 14 jugs. No telling how many it would have gone through, we had no more.
    I would feel better with a good WFN or WLN cast of about 250 gr in the special.
    You are only in one of those "Holy smokes, look what it did to a jug" modes. That is not the real hunting world. You would feel mighty bad blowing up that bullet on a bear's shoulder or losing deer.
    ME means nothing, only bullet/boolit work counts.

Default ***?

bfrshooter
    Like I said, I never took any game with either load, in my opinion they are for two-legged critters only. I use Hardcast bullets for game in a handgun, I use water penetration/expansion for a baseline comparison, just like you did. I agree it is not a representative example of what a bullet will do when encountering flesh and bone, but it is a useful tool for comparison.

If hunting game with the .44spl I'd use a 240-250 Keith bullet @ 1000fps and stay away from hollow-points alltogether. The original poster did not indicate his intended use for the bullet, I just relayed my limited experience with the bullet in question.

Thanks for assuming I'm a blubbering moron that thinks popping water jugs is the only important aspect of bullet performance, geez!
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by Bukshot View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this bullet at normal .44 Special velocity ( no more than say 900 FPS )? Expansion? Penetration? Accuracy?

Thank you
    I shoot a lot of 44 Spcl loads and have used the XTP bullets quite a bit. Accuracy is fine out to around fifty yards but if penetration is important, I'd opt for more weight. That bullet is designed more for personal defense (human adversary) and not for hunting. I usually see full expansion when impact velocity is about 850 fps or so. I have taken armadillos at the 950 fps, muzzle velocity and they knock a big hole in the shell. I would not consider them a deer sized game bullet. There seems to be a critical velocity with the XTP's and with this one it is about 850 fps impact velocity. At 44 special pressures you can get it to 1000 fps from a four inch barrel. What gun are you shooting them in?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

3 inch bbl. Charter Arms Bulldog.

Thank you all for replies.