Thread: Beavers and fish question

Default Beavers and fish question

My friend and I got to talking today about moose season and where we are going to camp and he brought up a question and I want to see what your thoughts are. The question was with the millions of small to large ponds/lakes. How do you know what ones hold fish ? I know most of the ones we camp by have those spiney little what I call choker fish , I do not know the proper name. but they have no game fish in them. I have noticed I might be wrong here but the ones that have beaver houses in them seem to hold game fish ? And the ones that have the spiney fish did not have beaver. What do you look for to see if there might be fish in there besides fishing it for days and not catching anything. Do you look for the ponds that connect with other ponds via streams ? There are alot of ponds/lakes like that where we hunt . I say lakes because a few we hunt by are a mile wide .And nothing would be more fun that hunting in the morning ,fishing for lunch and hunting in the afternoon.

Those choker fish I beleive are more commonly known as sticklebacks, usually of the 3 spine variety. As for which lakes I would watch the surface on a calm day when the bugs are out and see if there is any activity. If the lake is shallow of which alot of them seem to be they will be void of fish due to freezing solid in the winters. Another thing to consider is whether or not there is a stream running into it which would help with oxegenation in the winter months. I don't know the first thing what beavers might or might not have to do with it though. Just my thoughts.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Well, as the story goes, the small fry game fish can't compete with the sticklebacks, and that's why live bait isn't allowed in AK. If that's so, then you wouldn't ecpect to find other bigger fish where sticklebacks live.

If I see a lake that is shallow, I don't expect to find any fish in it because the ice can get so thick they can't live through the winter. Sometimes they can come in from another lake or stream, and may last through a mild winter, but not the next cold one.

BTW, we all know that Beavers eat branches and bark. I assumed that was all they ate, but last summer I saw one eating a Salmon carcass.

Smitty of the North

Smitty of the North,

Beavers are starting to act like human couch potatoes . There are a couple that hang out where I fish and they act like seagals , They sit on the bank and when someone throws a carcass in the water ,Its like the seagals on finding Nemo..Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine. Hey ,I guess its alot easier than chewing down trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Well, as the story goes, the small fry game fish can't compete with the sticklebacks, and that's why live bait isn't allowed in AK. If that's so, then you wouldn't ecpect to find other bigger fish where sticklebacks live.
    Ok, now you confused me. There are sticklebacks in Big Lake as well as reds, rainbows, dollies, burbot.....and I must not forget PIKE! Well at least 1 that I personally saw.

Default Bucky Beaver!

I was fishing the Tal in the mid 80's when one of those critters swam right up and dove between my legs. If that wasn't enough, it then surfaced and slapped its tail right under my nose!

I loved every glorious moment and yes, they are experts at sucking the flesh out of any fish carcass they can find...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com