Thread: Exxon Valdez and salmon prices?

Default Exxon Valdez and salmon prices?

The recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has piqued my interest in the historical impacts of man made disasters on seafood prices. Did salmon prices for the rest of Alaska and commercial prices increase? Dramatically?

I'll have to look into the environmental effects that the massive spill is causing in the Gulf of Mexico. If it hits the oysters and estuaries then the problems will be massive.

Spill! Baby Spill!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

In '89 the salmon prices tanked Statewide due to the soiled image of Alaskan Waters. '90 wasn't much, if any, better.....

.....As I recall it also had an effect on more than salmon (halibut, groundfish, etc.), not too mention decimating the herring fishery in PWS.

Sure was a boon for the Spillionaires tho'. Prior to '89 Seward and other communities in/near the Sound had a smattering of sightseeing vessels......After '89? The beginning of the end.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Future Governor AlaskaHippie?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    In '89 the salmon prices tanked Statewide due to the soiled image of Alaskan Waters. '90 wasn't much, if any, better.....

.....As I recall it also had an effect on more than salmon (halibut, groundfish, etc.), not too mention decimating the herring fishery in PWS.

Sure was a boon for the Spillionaires tho'. Prior to '89 Seward and other communities in/near the Sound had a smattering of sightseeing vessels......After '89? The beginning of the end.
    Dude I couldn't have said it any better myself. Then Tony Knowles got in bed w/the Chugach corp. and they strip logged the sound from Two Moon Bay all the way around Knowles Head to red head, sold the timber for a nickle on the dollar to the Koreans and went ahead and used their Native status to sell their losses to GE and Motorola. Then the illustrious Tony Knowles had the tunnel built.....my dad turned over in his grave and cried. Now Sean Parnell sold out to the cruise industry.. Good night sweet Prince!
    I"ll be your campaign manager hipster

I think exxon was the straw that broke the camel's back, and killed fish prices. There were a lot of other factors namely farmed salmon, but exxon killed the industry, which is just now starting to recover.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    The recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has piqued my interest in the historical impacts of man made disasters on seafood prices. Did salmon prices for the rest of Alaska and commercial prices increase? Dramatically?

I'll have to look into the environmental effects that the massive spill is causing in the Gulf of Mexico. If it hits the oysters and estuaries then the problems will be massive.
    Spill! Baby Spill!
    Here is an example of the dramatic increase in fish prices affected by the Exxon oil spill:
    Bristol Bay Red salmon Fishery
    1987 $2.35/#
    1988 $2.10/#
    1989 Exxon's Tanqueray on the rocks year. You couldn't give away Alaska Seafood
    1990 $1.25/#
    1991 fishermen go on strike for $1.00/#
    1995 $.37/#
    2010 $.75/#

Dramatic? Yes. Increase? There are a lot of people that have retired & are living well off of the increase in fish prices since the oil spill.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    1987 $2.35/#
    1988 $2.10/#
    1989 Exxon's Tanqueray on the rocks year. You couldn't give away Alaska Seafood
    1990 $1.25/#
    1991 fishermen go on strike for $1.00/#
    1995 $.37/#
    2010 $.75/#
    Thanks for the numbers.

Hippie, thanks for the perspective.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery