Thread: Battery Info Needed

Default Battery Info Needed

I'm looking at having to replace 2 batteries in my boat, 24' bayliner... I presently have a 12v deep cycle marine battery for the engine and a very large "cat" battery for a house battery. Any suggestions regarding; 1. Is it necessary to repace the "cat" battery with the same or should I just buy a "normal" deep cycle battery? 2. Any suggestions on where to buy locally and what brands to look for would be helpful.

Default Optima

Replaced all mine with Optima Blue tops. Dont have to worry about evaporation of elctrolyte anymore. Plus they dont die in the winter extreme temps. Just trickle charge them back to full charge in the spring. I have one for each engine, generator and one for the House and the house battery usually goes for 12 or so hours without any recharge and keeps the Garmin, Radar and radio going with no issues. Usually just fire up the generator and let it run for an hour or so when we are cooking and recharge the battery. Havent had a failure yet.

350SD

Where did you buy them? Are Optima Blue a marine deep cycle battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I'm looking at having to replace 2 batteries in my boat, 24' bayliner... I presently have a 12v deep cycle marine battery for the engine and a very large "cat" battery for a house battery. Any suggestions regarding; 1. Is it necessary to repace the "cat" battery with the same or should I just buy a "normal" deep cycle battery? 2. Any suggestions on where to buy locally and what brands to look for would be helpful.
    A good battery info FAQ: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Like most things these days, you get what you pay for -

Default Napa

Got mine at Napa. Cost a little more, but if maintained right will out last a convential battery with no acid leakage. They were specifically designed for the military quite a few years ago due to the cold here in Alaska. Once I seen a civilian brand that is all I use in all my vehicles. I know other web sites say different things about them, but they dont have our climate. I have been around them for close to 20 years and have never had a failure. And if you know anything about how soldiers tend to take care of stuff. I have had them completely freeze, all I did is let it thaw and put on a low amp trickle charge for 24 or so hours and hook a load test up to it and have always come back to full charge. Some of the other brands of this type of battery may be different colors. They state on them whether for marine use or not. With the one you are going to replace with the CAT battery you could put two in series if your pulling that much power in your house.

350SD

Any thoughts on a regular lead/acid start baterry for the engine due to greater starting amps compared to a deep cycle battery. I due like the idea of a dry cell battery due to the elimination of off gasing. I assume that you can't run down a starting/cranking battery like you can a deep cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Any thoughts on a regular lead/acid start baterry for the engine due to greater starting amps compared to a deep cycle battery. I due like the idea of a dry cell battery due to the elimination of off gasing. I assume that you can't run down a starting/cranking battery like you can a deep cycle?
    Optima`s blue top is designed to do both well...IIRC it`s 500+ starting amps and 65-70 amp hours. I`ve used them extensively and have had great success. Remember to keep them charged and they will last many, many years. My boat related ones get a 2-6 amp ramped charge once a year and have yet to have a failure. The Blue Top has standard posts and also accessory lugs.

Another great battery is the Deka Dominator AGM. Acts just like an Optima but is about 11 lbs. heavier in a group 24. I use these for business in wheelchairs and can handle some brutal loads and have very good longevity for a battery that sees complete discharge as much as 365 days a year. Also spill-proof but lacks the armor of the Optima. I`m running 2 group 22 Deka`s in my Achilles right now. The Deka has normal lugs with a hole for a 5/16" bolt.

I`ve used both of these batteries in my vehicles as well and have used both for electric trolling motors.Both batteries work very well for the money.

Todays AGMs don`t have "memory" so you can charge them at any state without harm but they will last alot longer charged on the top half.