Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anytime you carry a gun, you're hunting?

Default Anytime you carry a gun, you're hunting?

Stopped at Walmart yesterday to pick up Grizzly locking tag. After purchasing the tag, the guy behind the counter went thru his spiel of telling me to make sure I have the locking tag, papers, license on me at all times while hunting Brown Bear. Then, he proceeds to tell me that the state law says that anytime you are carrying a gun outside of you're vehicle you should have your hunting license with you because you are considered to be hunting. I asked him where he got his information, and he says the state told him he had to tell anybody purchasing licenses, tags, etc...the spiel that he gave me. I wasn't going to argue with the guy when he was just doing his job, so I left.

So my question is this...Since when does the state consider carrying a weapon outside your vehicle constitute "hunting"??? So, for somebody like me who carries a concealed weapon most of the time, I need to have my hunting license and locking tag with me? When i'm in downtown Wasilla, Anchorage, or any other community? Based on this guy's spiel that he gave me, sounded like he was reading it right off of a card. I don't doubt that the state, or at the least, Walmart, told the guy he had to say it.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? He's an idiot

Default Maybe in China?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    Stopped at Walmart yesterday to pick up Grizzly locking tag. After purchasing the tag, the guy behind the counter went thru his spiel of telling me to make sure I have the locking tag, papers, license on me at all times while hunting Brown Bear. Then, he proceeds to tell me that the state law says that anytime you are carrying a gun outside of you're vehicle you should have your hunting license with you because you are considered to be hunting. I asked him where he got his information, and he says the state told him he had to tell anybody purchasing licenses, tags, etc...the spiel that he gave me. I wasn't going to argue with the guy when he was just doing his job, so I left.

So my question is this...Since when does the state consider carrying a weapon outside your vehicle constitute "hunting"??? So, for somebody like me who carries a concealed weapon most of the time, I need to have my hunting license and locking tag with me? When i'm in downtown Wasilla, Anchorage, or any other community? Based on this guy's spiel that he gave me, sounded like he was reading it right off of a card. I don't doubt that the state, or at the least, Walmart, told the guy he had to say it.

Thoughts?
    Maybe in China? Maybe in Wal-world?

NO - definably not the case to require a hunting license on you at all times if you want to run around the woods or towns with a firearm.

Probably somebody smokin' the blue light special...

I will say tho --- if/when you legally 'rent' or 'loan' a long-gun to a non emigrant alien for something like bear "protection" (in this case not a combatant/terrorist/criminal etc.) ATF and State of Alaska say that this person must have an Alaska State hunting license (small game is fine) as identification.

Skydiver,
    Part of this sounds out of context, I don't know on who's part though. If you are a resident, over 21 yoa and are not a convicted felon or been convicted of domestic violence, you can carry open or concealed just about anywhere except, school grounds, bars, private property w/o owners consent, and a few more places.......
    What it sounds like he was saying is about how some non-violent felons may have SOME gun rights restored 10 years after their sentence is served. When restored, they may resume hunting and other limited activities with guns, but to my knowledge, 98% sure, concealed carry rights are forfeited when convicted of a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence. While this is all true in an aspect, LEO's are sensible enough to know that walking around Wal-Mart is not an active participation in "hunting" and I can almost guarantee, without more knowledge, that that person would be in some trouble. Their right to carry while hunting will not extend to Wal-Mart, concealed or not. Trudging around some trail up the Steese with a four wheeler and a rifle would likely be different.
    Feel assured that you live in the greatest gun supporting state in the nation, where you may still carry truly as we all should be able to, and that you are doing the right thing. The only reminders I have is to remember to carry your state ID, and be ready to comply with any direction about how to surrender the weapon when "officially" contacted. I'll let you use your reasonable thinking about what "official" means, but I would err on the side of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by N2AK View Post
    Skydiver,
    Part of this sounds out of context, I don't know on who's part though. If you are a resident, over 21 yoa and are not a convicted felon or been convicted of domestic violence, you can carry open or concealed just about anywhere except, school grounds, bars, private property w/o owners consent, and a few more places.......
    What it sounds like he was saying is about how some non-violent felons may have SOME gun rights restored 10 years after their sentence is served. When restored, they may resume hunting and other limited activities with guns, but to my knowledge, 98% sure, concealed carry rights are forfeited when convicted of a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence. While this is all true in an aspect, LEO's are sensible enough to know that walking around Wal-Mart is not an active participation in "hunting" and I can almost guarantee, without more knowledge, that that person would be in some trouble. Their right to carry while hunting will not extend to Wal-Mart, concealed or not. Trudging around some trail up the Steese with a four wheeler and a rifle would likely be different.
    Feel assured that you live in the greatest gun supporting state in the nation, where you may still carry truly as we all should be able to, and that you are doing the right thing. The only reminders I have is to remember to carry your state ID, and be ready to comply with any direction about how to surrender the weapon when "officially" contacted. I'll let you use your reasonable thinking about what "official" means, but I would err on the side of caution.
    Definitely NOT out of context. I have never been a felon, in fact, I have been a LEO for many years. The cashier did not state anything about a "felon's" rights. It sounded like he was reading it right from a card, like cops do when reading somebody their Miranda Rights.
    As far as being out in the wilderness with a gun, (or in the city), I carry mostly for protection when i'm just camping, riding, etc. I do not believe I would carry a hunting license if i'm just out in the woods camping with the family, as i have no intent to hunt. This was definitly NOT taken out of context. Just relaying what the guy stated to me as he read off of his "card". "You are required to have in possession with you a hunting license whenever you are out of your vehicle with your gun." Don't know how i can be confused by that?
    Should've said something like "You are required to have in your possession at all times your hunting license as you are pursuing, taking, or shooting game from the field"...etc...

and to add: I know that we are a very pro-gun state. I know what the law's are for carrying concealed weapons in this state. My whole point in this post was to question WHO is responsible for the cashier telling a customer that he is "required by law" to have a hunting license on him/herself at all times when you are out of your vehicle carrying a firearm.

This guy sounds like he doesn't know his beans from his buckshot.

I see a lot of folks hauling around firearms when in the boondocks and I frequently hike with my mountain rifle.

None of it could be considered hunting. I've even talked to troopers while out and about and the subject of hunting never even came up. Now if the troopers walk up on you with a rifle and a dead critter you'd better be prepared to cough up a tag.

The situation this guy describes would all but eliminate DLP shootings because they'd all be "hunting without a license" not shooting DLP...

Well, it was Walmart...

Well I was just trying to help, and I definately didn't mean to insult you or him for that matter. If you didn't want advice, don't ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by N2AK View Post
    Well I was just trying to help, and I definately didn't mean to insult you or him for that matter. If you didn't want advice, don't ask questions.
    I know you were trying to help, and I thank you. BUt, i just needed to clarify what was said, and WHO? is telling him to say it.

Thank you again,
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Probably somebody smokin' the blue light special...
    Wrong store !!! You meant to say smoking the bag with the rollback smile face on it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Wal-Martians dispensing legal advice at the gun counter...before you know it they'll even have someone who knows what they're selling.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have had other people tell me the same BS. "If your outdoors and carrying a gun you had better have your hunting license on you or you will get a citation". I look at them like they are from another planet then proceed to ignore them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

How ever guys... I believe that the way the Law is written... is that IF you have a valid hunting license. you are required to show it on requests regardless your activity... same as your drivers Lic. or state ID card.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Maybe in China? Maybe in Wal-world?

Isn't Wallyworld made in China? Have to look very hard to find anything made in the U.S..
    He very well was instructed to tell you those things, but let them take me to court for packin iron when I'm not hunting!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

I think its bull. I know people who carry for protection and dont hunt so they have to go by a license just to carry a firearm while hiking sounds like crap to me. For those who do hunt i know i always have my hunting license in my wallet and always have my wallet with me never know when you need it.

Default Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    How ever guys... I believe that the way the Law is written... is that IF you have a valid hunting license. you are required to show it on requests regardless your activity... same as your drivers Lic. or state ID card.
    LEO for 4.5 years here in AK. If you are engaged in an activity which requires a license (driving, hunting, fishing, etc.) then when contacted by LEO you are required to show appropriate documentation for said activity.

If you are camping off the Denali Hwy on Sept 10 and a LEO rolls into your camp and asks to see your hutning license and ID. You do not have to comply. Most will ask what you're doing which will establish for them how much further they can proceed during the contact. If you answer that your hunting/fishing then they get to check you to the full extent. If you answer that your camping then they get nothing, unless you offer. If you answer that your camping and there is evidence of hunting/fishing activity well the contact will evolve from there and my only suggestion in that scenario is to never lie to LEO and to always be honest when asked a question.

If you are carrying concealed in your "camping" spot and you are contacted by LEO then you MUST tell them that you are carrying concealed. If you have a gun boot on your four wheeler with a rifle in it and you are "camping" then you do not have to "declare" anything. The LEO may ask you about the gun and the LEO at this point is just trying to probe for answers that may indicate you're not only just camping.

By all means people, be respectful and compliant with LEO contacts. If they ASK you for something you have a choice. If they TELL, ORDER, DIRECT, COMMAND you to do something or provide them with something then you need to comply. In a hunting/fishing situation a LEO has a right to contact you and you have an obligation to provide appropriate documentation. But, the LEO in an effort to tone down the confrontation may ASK you for your hunting license, permit, ID, etc. Don't confuse the two. ASKING in that situation is the LEO trying to be nice and personable.

Regarding the OP. I can walk around this state with any kind of legal firearm and I do not have to have a hunting license with me to do it. I can pick blueberries with a Desert Eagel strapped to my chest, a Mossberg Tactical 12 g shotgun strapped to my back, and a 45-70 in my hands and no LEO in the state of AK has any right to REQUIRE me to provide ID, hunting license, etc. They can ASK and I can comply. They can ASK and I can tell them I'm hunting blue berries and don't need to show them anything. There isn't time to get into all the "What If's" There are scenarios where while "hunting blueberries" you would have to identify yourself but they mostly involve the fact that you're a suspect in some kind of call that the LEO is responding to.

I am not advocating that the public does not comply with LEO when contacted, but as a citizen of this state and country it is your duty to know your rights. As a LEO it is your duty to operate withing the boundary of your authority.

Thanks for the post 1S1K.
    I would just like to add that if you are carrying a weapon and have a hunting license, please be sure there is an actual hunting season open in that area BEFORE you tell the LEO you are "hunting"!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    LEO for 4.5 years here in AK. If you are engaged in an activity which requires a license (driving, hunting, fishing, etc.) then when contacted by LEO you are required to show appropriate documentation for said activity.

If you are camping off the Denali Hwy on Sept 10 and a LEO rolls into your camp and asks to see your hutning license and ID. You do not have to comply. Most will ask what you're doing which will establish for them how much further they can proceed during the contact. If you answer that your hunting/fishing then they get to check you to the full extent. If you answer that your camping then they get nothing, unless you offer. If you answer that your camping and there is evidence of hunting/fishing activity well the contact will evolve from there and my only suggestion in that scenario is to never lie to LEO and to always be honest when asked a question.

If you are carrying concealed in your "camping" spot and you are contacted by LEO then you MUST tell them that you are carrying concealed. If you have a gun boot on your four wheeler with a rifle in it and you are "camping" then you do not have to "declare" anything. The LEO may ask you about the gun and the LEO at this point is just trying to probe for answers that may indicate you're not only just camping.

By all means people, be respectful and compliant with LEO contacts. If they ASK you for something you have a choice. If they TELL, ORDER, DIRECT, COMMAND you to do something or provide them with something then you need to comply. In a hunting/fishing situation a LEO has a right to contact you and you have an obligation to provide appropriate documentation. But, the LEO in an effort to tone down the confrontation may ASK you for your hunting license, permit, ID, etc. Don't confuse the two. ASKING in that situation is the LEO trying to be nice and personable.

Regarding the OP. I can walk around this state with any kind of legal firearm and I do not have to have a hunting license with me to do it. I can pick blueberries with a Desert Eagel strapped to my chest, a Mossberg Tactical 12 g shotgun strapped to my back, and a 45-70 in my hands and no LEO in the state of AK has any right to REQUIRE me to provide ID, hunting license, etc. They can ASK and I can comply. They can ASK and I can tell them I'm hunting blue berries and don't need to show them anything. There isn't time to get into all the "What If's" There are scenarios where while "hunting blueberries" you would have to identify yourself but they mostly involve the fact that you're a suspect in some kind of call that the LEO is responding to.

I am not advocating that the public does not comply with LEO when contacted, but as a citizen of this state and country it is your duty to know your rights. As a LEO it is your duty to operate withing the boundary of your authority.
    SO as An LEO yur telling me that if you ask as me as a badge producing or uniformed officer for my ID...... I DO NOT have to show it?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

SO as An LEO your telling me that if you ask as me as a badge producing or uniformed officer for my ID...... I DO NOT have to show it?

BTW if this really is correct... I would love to have your LEO official card in my pocket so that the next time the nice trooper in Nenana asks for the Passengers ID....

or when i am stopped on the trail by the nice FWS trooper out of cantwell...

or the F&g bio with a badge...

or any other place I FEEL the officer is not exercising due cause then i can tell them... BUT BUT... this LEO on line told me so...

meet on face book here

Never heard that one before. I will have to be careful when I take my rifle to that firing range...better have my hunting license with me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast