Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burris Euro Diamond 1-4

Default Burris Euro Diamond 1-4

I had my first chance to look through one of these scopes the other day and I have to say, "Wow!" My first impression was very strongly built with great optics and a beefy 30mm tube. I then ran it through the power adjustments and was more impressed when I got to 1x and there was no difference in what my off eye saw to what I saw through the scope.

For a dangerous game rifle this looks like it is the nearest thing to perfect beyond iron sights. And with the lighted reticule it should work as well as any of the red dot sights.

Have others had a chance to look at this scope or use it yet? Has anyone had a chance to wring it out ans see if it is as tough as it looks?

I seem to remember that it is fairly new to the market and made a bit of a splash with true 1x magnification(or lack thereof) and still having useful, higher magnifications.

My uncle has one in 1.5-6??? I think on this 416 Taylor. He really likes it. I thought it was a good scope myself. The Trijicons are also worth a look as you don't need a battery. Of course Swarovski Z6i if you have the money.

Brett

The only scope I have ever had fail on me on a hunt was a burris signiture series 1.5-6. The focus woulld blur with shooting. I had to let my dad shoot a moose because of this. I sent it back and burris claimed to have repaired it. I removed it from my hunting rifle years ago. I recently dragged it out of the crawl space and put in on an ar15 for plinking. After 75 rounds the same old problem started again. One shot blurred, one shot focused. There must be something loose in there.....

I will no longer buy a burris. If I buy a used rifle with a burris, the first thing I do is take it off and have it listed on gunbroker. My scope was made in the USA, but the last burris I saw was made in the philipines. I can't imagine that their build quality has improved. For less expensive scopes I stick with leupold.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    The only scope I have ever had fail on me on a hunt was a burris signiture series 1.5-6. The focus woulld blur with shooting. I had to let my dad shoot a moose because of this. I sent it back and burris claimed to have repaired it. I removed it from my hunting rifle years ago. I recently dragged it out of the crawl space and put in on an ar15 for plinking. After 75 rounds the same old problem started again. One shot blurred, one shot focused. There must be something loose in there.....

I will no longer buy a burris. If I buy a used rifle with a burris, the first thing I do is take it off and have it listed on gunbroker. My scope was made in the USA, but the last burris I saw was made in the philipines. I can't imagine that their build quality has improved. For less expensive scopes I stick with leupold.
    Up to this point I have had a similar experience/opinion of Burris, that is what led me to this post. I had the same scope on a used gun I bought, after the scope repeatedly lost zero I got rid of it and have never had the problem since with the Leupold that took it's place.

I have not even handled a Burris in years until a friend handed me this Euro Diamond which is outwardly an impressive scope. I just wonder how it will hold up to heavy use?

I can second seant concerning Burris. The USA scopes were an acceptable scope for certain applications, but they were designed with excessive weight. This is an inherently bad trait in a riflescope, especially on a rifle with significant recoil. Years ago I sent several scopes back to Burris for warranty work (erector problems, focus issues and seal leaks), but the returned scopes were never really fixed. I have only two of them now--a 6x24 Signature on a 220 Swift and a 2 3/4 Scout (in detachable rings) on my 45/70 which usually remains in the safe, the scope not the rifle. I have no experience or intentions in buying a new Burris, but unless the newer Burris scopes are 100% better quality than before there are better choices in that price range IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_nimrod View Post
    I had my first chance to look through one of these scopes the other day and I have to say, "Wow!" My first impression was very strongly built with great optics and a beefy 30mm tube. I then ran it through the power adjustments and was more impressed when I got to 1x and there was no difference in what my off eye saw to what I saw through the scope.

For a dangerous game rifle this looks like it is the nearest thing to perfect beyond iron sights. And with the lighted reticule it should work as well as any of the red dot sights.

Have others had a chance to look at this scope or use it yet? Has anyone had a chance to wring it out ans see if it is as tough as it looks?

I seem to remember that it is fairly new to the market and made a bit of a splash with true 1x magnification(or lack thereof) and still having useful, higher magnifications.
    I'll be buying this very same scope for my 9.3, when I can afford it. Had a set of burris binocs for 2 1 yr. tours in iraq, they are still perfectly functional although beat up. I've had a 1.75-5 power mounted on my 358 BLR since 2004 and never had an issue, it's been banging around on snow machines, and boats it's whole life. The field of view on that 1-4 is amazing. Want to know a dirty little secret about the leupold 30 mm tubes? They actually have the 1" lenses in their 30 mm scopes. Check out the Field of View specifications to back my statement up. That's some dog breath/Blsht if you ask me. I aint a leupold conformist, never have been. Burris is my choice and will remain that way regardless of what is said on this forum. They won an Excellence award for the speed dot system recentley too. And for being made in the phillipines, only their cheapest scope (the fullfield) line up is made in the phillipines (to keep the price down for bargain shoppers). 109 ft. @ 100yds. field of view(1-4 burris euro diamond).......that's a real 30 mm tube field of view, compare that to leupold. I'm also wondering why some of these "leupold purists" aren't mentioning that some of Leupold's line up is Made in China?? Burris aint the only ones making their (cost savings) budget scopes over seas. Think outside the leupold box if you'd like.........

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post

Since this thread is regarding a 30 mm Burris scope, let's compare the 30 mm leupold scope since that is what YOU are recommending.

here is a link to the specs of a leupold vx-ll 1-4 power(1" tube):
    http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-II...ope-P2559.aspx

75 ft. field of view @ 100yds.

here is a link to the specs of a leupold 30 mm tubed 1.25-4 power:
    http://swfa.com/Leupold-125-4x20-Eur...ope-P3332.aspx

74 ft. field of view @ 100 yds.

Don't be too alarmed when you discover that the vari-x ll (1" tubed) scope actually has MORE field of view!?
    I'd be real interested to here what you or others would have to say if you decided to debate this attrocity in the scope market.

Finally, here is a link to the 30 mm tubed scope which is the subject of the thread:
    http://swfa.com/Burris-1-4x24-Euro-D...ope-P5957.aspx

109 ft. field of view @ 100 yds.

The choice is obvious between the two. A REAL 30 mm tubed scope, as opposed to a counterfeit 30mm tubed scope that belongs in a kids happy meal. Carry on leupold purists..........................

Quote Originally Posted by A [B
    REAL[/B] 30 mm tubed scope, as opposed to a counterfeit 30mm tubed scope that belongs in a kids happy meal. Carry on leupold purists..........................

This is REAL 30 MM, probably put a burris in a Happy Meal too.

http://swfa.com/Schmidt-Bender-11-4x...ope-P4446.aspx
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    This is REAL 30 MM, probably put a burris in a Happy Meal too.

http://swfa.com/Schmidt-Bender-11-4x...ope-P4446.aspx
    that sure is a REAL 30 mm scope. If I could afford one I'd have def. have one. At three times the price of the Burris, that scope would cost more than my dipnetting charter on the copper, my halibut charter out of seward, my flight out to kobuk to help freind build their cabins, and the burris scope (combined).

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Since this thread is regarding a 30 mm Burris scope, let's compare the 30 mm leupold scope since that is what YOU are recommending.

here is a link to the specs of a leupold vx-ll 1-4 power(1" tube):
    http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-II...ope-P2559.aspx

75 ft. field of view @ 100yds.

Don't be too alarmed when you discover that the vari-x ll (1" tubed) scope actually has MORE field of view!?
    I'd be real interested to here what you or others would have to say if you decided to debate this attrocity in the scope market.

Finally, here is a link to the 30 mm tubed scope which is the subject of the thread:
    http://swfa.com/Burris-1-4x24-Euro-D...ope-P5957.aspx

The choice is obvious between the two. A REAL 30 mm tubed scope, as opposed to a counterfeit 30mm tubed scope that belongs in a kids happy meal. Carry on leupold purists..........................
    I never claimed to be a leupold purist. I have lots of scopes(Nikon, Zeiss, Hensholdt, burris, swarovski, redfield, weaver, nightforce, trijicon, aimpoint, IOR, eotech, and probably some others.) I like to try new gear.

I was just sharing my previous experience. Out of nearly one hundred scopes I have owned over 25 years, the only scope I have ever had fail on me in the field was a Burris. Their customer service wasn't all that great either. I really don't think Burris ever fixed my scope either. I won't buy there philipine junk anymore.

I consider burris cheap scopes in the big scheme of things, so I offered leupold as a similar cost alternative. I have had great luck with over 20 different leupolds in the past.

One local dealer used to really push Burris in the past. I noticed that he doesn't push Burris anymore. I'll ask him why the next time I stop by.

Sorry I dissed the Burris woobie...

P.S. If you like Burris, I got a 1.5x6 signiture series I would be willing to sell. It does have some issues.

I've also had problems with Burris. I bought a 1.5-6X Signature with lighted reticle with the intention of putting it on a .375 Ruger. However, when it showed up the reticle would not light up to save me. I tried all sorts of things, even switched out batteries but it would not work. So I sent it back. I also have a 3-9X Fullfield I bought back in 2000 and had on my .300 Wby. It recently decided it didn't want to focus any longer. I messed with the eyepiece focus, moved it all the way in and out, but it never would focus. It will be going back to Burris as well when I get home. The .300 Wby now wears a 3-9X Leupold. So I probably will not buy from Burris again, either. Which is too bad because they have some products that really appeal to me. But I just don't trust them.

I have several Burris Scopes and haven't had one fail yet. Maybe I'm not as hard on mine, but they've worked for me.

I did buy and Leupold Euro 30 for my Ruger International and I like it. It wasn't outrageously higher than a Burris, but wanted to try something different.

If we looked at all scopes in the Burris, Leupold price range, the failure rate is probably fairly similar. I think the most important thing for people to understand is that a scope can fail. Many of the high priced scopes (Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B) probably fail less often, but I personally can't afford a scope that costs 2-3x what my rifle cost. One of these days, maybe.... Until then my Burris and my Leupold will work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    I have several Burris Scopes and haven't had one fail yet. Maybe I'm not as hard on mine, but they've worked for me.

I did buy and Leupold Euro 30 for my Ruger International and I like it. It wasn't outrageously higher than a Burris, but wanted to try something different.

If we looked at all scopes in the Burris, Leupold price range, the failure rate is probably fairly similar. I think the most important thing for people to understand is that a scope can fail. Many of the high priced scopes (Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B) probably fail less often, but I personally can't afford a scope that costs 2-3x what my rifle cost. One of these days, maybe.... Until then my Burris and my Leupold will work for me.
    I had a leuopold vari x-ll scope on a 223 ruger model 77. I really liked that scope because of the light weight. Didn't have to tough of a life and probably would have held up just fine. It did have some parelax issues though. at 100 yds it would print 1/4 " groups. at 200 yds it would print 5 inch groups with the same load. I could lock the gun in, and move my eye and watch the 200 yd target, and the crosshairs would move point of impact quite substantially.

here is an actual "constructive" comparison of a burris euro diamond as compared to a Swarovski. The test involved low light performance and practical use during legal hunting hours.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_post...=5917&get=last

Default Not quite a valid comparison...?

Looks like you are comparing a 1.25X scope field of view at lowest power (1.25X) with two 1X scopes field of view at lowest power (1X). For a valid comparison let's see at comparison at 1.25X and 4X. I don't know how much the field of view changes from 1X to 1.25X but it will be significant.

Of course if you want the maximum field of view and shooting with both eyes open the 1.25X Leupold isn't the scope you want anyway - it shouldn't even be a comparison - stick to 1X scopes exclusively.

http://swfa.com/Burris-1-4x24-Euro-Diamond-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P5957.aspx

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

are you kidding me!? that is the LOWEST magnification of their fake 30 mm line-up. who are YOU to say it isn't a valid comparison?? your post is a joke. .25 of a magnification difference! And no.......the field of view difference is negligable between the ".25" magnicaction and 1x.

because of rediculous, and sensless nit picking like that......I will again compare specs. I will try to find a scope that shares the same exact magnification so there is no ".25" difference.

here is a comparison for your knit picking:

leupold fake 30 mm 3-9 @ 3 power:

here is a 3-10(12?) power euro diomond @ 3 power:

oh geeze!.......it's "33.1" for the leupold......my bad!
    Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 05-03-2010 at 12:27. Reason: i forgot.....it was "33.1" for the fake 30 mm leup. want to be "valid" yah know....

I have a 1-4x Euro Diamond on my wife's seal rifle. The only thing I cannot stand is the thickness of the reticle hairs becomes significantly larger as you increase power. A circle 4" across is covered by the reticle at 100 yards.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I have a 1-4x Euro Diamond on my wife's seal rifle. The only thing I cannot stand is the thickness of the reticle hairs becomes significantly larger as you increase power. A circle 4" across is covered by the reticle at 100 yards.
    nice set up there Nitro. can you give us an accurate field report on your 1-4 and if overall......you are happy with your decision?

Default 50% vs 20% is significant in my book

Let's now compare the results - looks like the euro has less than 20% wider field of view than the Leupold at 3X for both. Obviously significant difference but a lot less than the nearly 50% you had when comparing the 1.25x to a 1x.

Not trying to take up for Leupold for any other brand - but showing that there is a nearly 50% difference when in reality it is less than 20% is hardly an honest comparison. And we really need some other specs like eye relief- there may be some trade offs for the smaller field of view.

I guess my "nit picking" may come from the fact that I'm an engineer and I've done many techmical evaluations of a wide variety of items in my career. Many times the vendors play with the numbers so I've become quite a skeptic with simple comparisons - you have to look behind the numbers and read the fine print to do the comparison job right. In the case of the Leupold for example you need to compare the objective lense size to that of the Euro - the tube size is not the correct indication of the optics.

And since I'm on a roll the correct term is what I used - "nit" not "knit". But you knew that - right?

here is a comparison for your knit picking:

leupold fake 30 mm 3-9 @ 3 power:

here is a 3-10(12?) power euro diomond @ 3 power:

oh geeze!.......it's "33.1" for the leupold......my bad!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast