Thread: Which gear to pack?

Default Which gear to pack?

I am resonably well stocked with gear, but I am not sure what gear to bring and space will be limited.

We leave in 4 weeks to spend the summer touring in Alaska.

Is there "surf style" fishing there?
    What can you catch fish from shore?
    If so what types?

I was thinking of two sets,

1. spinning rod set up with 8 lb on an 7 ft rod
    2. surf casting set up with 20 lb open faced reel, on a 13 ft rod.

I was also thinking of spoons & flounder jigs to go with the spinning rig and 1/0 to 6/0 hooks for bait soaking on the surf rig.

Any replys would be welcomed

Where are you going to be going in Alaska? There are some "surf casting" opportunities along some of the lower beaches of Cook Inlet. Not a lot of people do it, but if you hit the tide right you can catch kings and possibly halibut from shore. You have to be careful, though, because there are special harvest areas along the beaches from Anchor Point north to Ninilchik where fishing is not allowed. See the following:

There is also the "Fishing Lagoon" on the Homer Spit. They have an enhanced king fishery there where you can fish for kings that they stock and then return to the lagoon. It's not "surf casting" but you can catch some nice kings there.

There are also fish available off the end of the Spit. Dollies hang out there and they can be a lot of fun on lighter gear.

Seward has some good shore fishing, too, if the fish are in that close. You'd have to check on run timing though. There could possibly be some kings coming close in by the time you're here.

Thanks for the reply, We are taking 10 weeks including one week in and one out. We have no real plans, just touring. Start at the bottom and slowly work up, until it is time to go home. We are goes and a self cantained truck camper and a larger 4X4. We normally hit the beaches in NC and camp out there.

Surf casting, using a "Hateras style" cast can put my line out 100 yds plus, though I am not as good as the OBX locals. What type of bottom is it where there? Can I use heavier surf type weights? I really would like to try for one Halibut.

Thanks for the info.

Hey Bob---I am moving today, so can't spend much time at my computer until this evening. I'll give you more info about it then. Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. Maybe until then someone else might be able to give you more info about it. As I said it's not a real popular way to fish for kings and butt, but it can be done. I might even come up there and give it a try with you.

More later.

Sarasota, Florida

Default Regardless...

...of your aparrell or your equipment, make this investment. Buy a hand held digital wieight scale that has a strap to fasten, lift, and then wiegh your bags.

It is invaluable and carry it with you in traveling, always...

"Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

There is a beach access point just a few miles north of Anchor Point (about 20 miles north of Homer) at Whiskey Gulch where you can drive down and actually camp right by the beach. The access road is quite steep at one point, but I see truck campers and RV's down there all the time. The only time I've had trouble with it was once when it had poured rain for a few days and the road was a torrent of mud. A lot of people use it so you won't be alone down there by any means.

Whiskey Gulch is a very popular area for trolling for spawning kings. There are some nice halibut that come in close to the beach at times, too, to feed on the bait fish that swim in close there. I have caught some nice sized kings within just 10 to 20 feet of the beach on the very high tides. I have also caught a few halibut while trolling for those kings within about 100 to 150 feet of shore. The key phrase there is at a "very high tide." In Cook Inlet the really big tide swings can be well over 20 ft. from high to low. The beach in this area is fairly steep closer to land, but then it really shallows out the further you get away from shore, so you can go out 100 yards or so and it only gets a few feet deeper. So at low tide it's quite shallow a long ways out.

I haven't done it yet, but I've heard of people "surf casting" for kings at the extreme high tides. I've given some thought to it, but just never gotten around to it. I've got a boat, so I can just as easily troll for them. If you want to give it a try you could get away with casting some "troll" herring out there and just reel it back in. Also I'm sure some good size spoons or spinners that you can cast a long distance should work, too. I've thought of just suspending a herring under a bobber and just casting it out there and waiting. Might be worth a try. And as I said, there are incidental halibut around, so you could hook into one of those. I caught a 70 pounder not far from the beach once, so you never know.

On busy days there will just be a line of boats going up and down the beach, so it's not difficult to tell where the fish are hanging out. It could cause problems if you're trying to surf cast, but usually the boats are spaced far enough apart that you could cast in between them without any problem.