Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt - Frazer Lake Success

Default Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt - Frazer Lake Success

My good buddy joined me on a Kodiak brown bear hunt on Frazer Lake from April 16-29. It's been a really late spring with few bear sightings out there. We saw 10 bears in 12 days of hunting which is far fewer than normal and far fewer than we hoped and expected to see. Four of the bears were stalkable but I was after Mr. big. We had wind, rain, and snow 11 of the 14 days and therefore could not always see the Mt. tops which is where basically all the bears were.

One bear remained in the same spot for 7 days, one for 3 days, and two for 2 days. They just weren't moving. It was amazing to see where the bears hide. They were all above the alder line way up in the snow and often in rocky out croppings.

I was holding out for a 9 foot plus boar, of which we only saw one. He came over the ridge top into our valley and the wind was wrong. I made a "Hell Mary" attempt to beat the wind and failed as expected. He had a 8 1/4 inch front pad. We found him 2 days later in some seriously steep, rugged, rocky outcroppings. Clearly, he knew where the safe hiding spots were! I got to within 245 yards of where he was holed up in the rocks but had no shot opportunity. I could not get any closer due to the steep terrain and snow - I had surpassed my comfort level. The next day he was spotted at the top of this same rugged Mt. I made a galliant 2 1/2 hr climb/effort up the back side of the Mt to come in from behind - more uncomfortable sidehilling on snow covered slopes and rotten snow. The wind switched AND he changed locations during my stalk. I met him on the ridge top at 150 yds, he noticed I hadn't bathed in quite some time and proceeded to show me his big A__! My buddy watched him come barreling down the Mt and then he casually walked out of the valley never to be seen again.

On the last day of the hunt, I went for the small bear that we had seen and walked by for the previous 7 days. It was a dink 3 yr old but has a beautiful hide. I guess this means I will have to go back again someday for my 9 to 10 foot, there could be worse things!
    Attached Images Attached Images

few more pics

a few more pics

yep, more pics

more photos

few more photos

I like pics!

last of the pics

Default Let me be the first to say:

Congrats! That is awesome, even if it was a smaller bear. The whole experience looks amazing. And good luck on your future quest for Fat A__!

Great story and pictures, nicely done.

bears and 'bows.... life doesn't get much better.

Congratulations are in order.

Thanks for the post. Having done many hunts on the outlet end of Frazer Lake, I feel your number of sightings, bear locations, and visual (Fog) restrictions are typical. Thanks for the photos and the memories they stir up.

Default Thank you

Great hunt! You worked hard. That bear in the glass sure woulda got my blood a pumpin'.

The Dink will fit better on the wall, if that makes you feel better.

I'll be bear hunting blackies in 10 days on Kuiu. When I get back I'll spin a yarn on the board here too.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute.

Default Still a great hunt.

Thanks for your posting and the pictures. They are always interesting to look at and read.

Default Awesome

Hey 7ft or 10ft it's all good! It is about the experience and the opportunity to get out and spend the time in the great outdoors of his amazing state. You go a great bear! Congrats!!

Thanks for sharing the great pics and story. Congrats!

Default Great Story

It's a bit far away, but if that's the little guy that ate my goat last year I am glad you got him :-)
    Like Big Horse said: He will fit better on the wall and he has awesome color.
    May 7th-15th PWS Blackies and Shrimp. can't wait to get out there.
    Thanks again for the story and pictures!
    Louis

Default Great Write-up

Congrats on the hunt and really enjoyed the story and pics. Favorite was the pic of a 3 lb T-Bone steak on a 10" pan.. Awesome!!

Default Congrats on a beautiful bear

How'd that TiGoat do in the snow and wind? I love mine but quickly realized I needed longer stakes when setting up on riverbanks. I was just curious because I haven't had my tent in any winds over 25-30mph yet. Congrats again on your success!!

Thanks guys.

Wolfeel: This was the first time I used my new tipi and it worked well. I need to seam seal the seems as they had a few drips where the guy outs are sewn in. I think we had wind gusts up to at least 40 mph with rain and snow and it never appeared to be in danger of coming apart. We could hear the wind gusts coming down the canyon before they arrived.

I'm glad I bought some longer stakes for the deep snow and tundra to get a better bite. I had 2 extra (5 total) guy outs sewn in the tipi and am glad I did. It certainly has condensation issues but it usually just runs down the wall unless the wind shakes it off! I really like it so far. It's basically a 6 lb heated shelter that you can stand up in, huge for 2 people and gear, can sit in a camp chair, don't have to take your boots off, and never have to sweep the floor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast