Thread: additional plating to seaark predator bottom

Default additional plating to seaark predator bottom

any thoughts on having additional plate, possibly 1/4" welded to the keel between the two innermost ribs or runners....back to the tunnel. I've got some pretty good dents there. Could this be done without flipping the boat over? Any other thoughts or recommendations? Pounding the dents out first? Appreciate it guys.

Yes it can be done. You have to take out your floor there in the back along with the rear seat. Then pound out the dents. as far as welding the pice to bottom i would think to do the best job welding it would be best to have the boat turned over when welding the new piece on. Got any pic to show how bad the bottom looks.

Imo. I had my bottom replaced this winter and wish i would have kept the money have just went and had the uhmvw bottom put on the boat instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    any thoughts on having additional plate, possibly 1/4" welded to the keel between the two innermost ribs or runners....back to the tunnel. I've got some pretty good dents there. Could this be done without flipping the boat over? Any other thoughts or recommendations? Pounding the dents out first? Appreciate it guys.

Default here's pic

any thoughts on this new uhmw bonding method? That's gotta be expensive. Anyone know what Alaska Airboats charges? It's gotta be way less expensive to through bolt UHMW or steel plating. It would be nice to have no holes but? It's been through bolted for years and years. You think the stock predator structure is strong enought to just add the UHMW or should the keel at least be strengthened up first?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice alaska airboat will charge you 5400 for the bottom on the sea ark and I ask if they could fix the dent. You could pound it out some.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    any thoughts on this new uhmw bonding method? That's gotta be expensive. Anyone know what Alaska Airboats charges? It's gotta be way less expensive to through bolt UHMW or steel plating. It would be nice to have no holes but? It's been through bolted for years and years. You think the stock predator structure is strong enought to just add the UHMW or should the keel at least be strengthened up first?

I had similar looking damage and had to replace the bottom. I was told that unless the bottom is smooth or very close to it, you will have nothing but problems with the UHMW if bolted on. With the glue on/spray on type stuff, my only knowledge of that is Compeau's tried it on a Sport Jon and told me they weren't happy with the results.

It is around the same price to replace the bottom, and slightly more to replace it with a thicker metal. You learn to be a lot more careful after tearing one up, but somehow I have a little character on the bottom of my new boat too. The bad spots seem to be right at the rear of the boat, and just in front of the tunnel. I'd like to reinforce those couple of locations myself.

It looks like the damage is great enough that UHMW wouldn't have helped you much...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I know this is an old thread, did the damage to the bottom cause you any problems with cavitation of the jet? just curious how bad you can beat these things up and still be able to get back home

With mine, it didn't seem to affect usability at all. I'm sure I lost a few mph on the top end (it went 38 mph with the dents), but then again the impeller /wear ring wasn't like-new at the time either. I think the tunnel gave the water a little extra time/space to smooth out?

We have been installing uhmw on the bottom of these boats with excellent results both in performance and protection.
    I have a SeaArc up in Nuiqsut getting severely tested. The owner loves its capabilities to slide over ground and go places that simply were inaccessible before. He has hauled out a couple moose this season running over 200 mi!es r/t for each one into the foothills of the Brooks range.
    Also have a few other that have factory glued on bottoms that have delaminated and peeled off. Thankfully no one got hurt.
    Same uhmw we install on airboat bottoms but use the weld washers instead of the thru hull bolts.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts