Thread: 300 WSM problems

Default 300 WSM problems

I have a 300 WSM that will shot .5 groups at 100 yards with factory Federal premium with 165 batnes tsx. It would probley shot better if I could. I have tried three different powers imr 4064, imr 4350, and reloader 15, with a 165 barnes tsx, and CCI magium rifle primer. I cant not get any thing to shot under a 2 inches. I really want to handload for this rifle, but I can't get any better loads or even close to factory loads. Any of you WSm guys there have any advice? I have never had this hard of a time with a rifle.

How deep are you seating them??? The Barnes TSXs I have loaded have always liked a lot of jump. I seat mine .050 to .070 from the lands. I would try that first, maybe even try to duplicate the factory COAL that you get .5 with.

I load for 270WSM and 325WSM, both like reloader 17 and Magpro.

Good Luck

Steve

What make and model rifle are you shooting? Factory rifles can be very finicky. You might find Hodgdon powders and Fed primers to be a little more consistent. That's just a guess. And I agree with previous post, the the monometal bullets usually like a jump to the lans.

If you get it figured out, let us know.

-Mark

Im shooting a kimber montana. I did try to load to the same length as the factory and it didn't improve anything. I have never had this hard of a time with a rifle. Im not even that worried about speed, I just want good groups. Like I said it shots great with factory rounds. The reason that I have been using CCI primers is because I have a ton of them.

When I care abut how a rifle shoots, the first place I look is to my dies for more accurate ammo. http://www.neiljones.com/ (I have saved a lot of money in custom dies with him, bt the information level he needs from you is much higher than jst going to the store and telling the clerk what you want. It takes a vary high degree of knowledge abut what you have and what you need to work for and accurate load. By the way it surprises me that Neal can keep going as old s he is (now in his 80's). Good dies are a blessing that is difficult to understand.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I think you should try some slower powders, RL 17 and slower. Shoot five, 3 shot groups with each load, measure and average the groups and try another 1.5- 2 grains till you max out then move to RL 19, and then onto RL 22.
    Would suspect you find what you are shooting for with the slower powders. Also, make sure all the copper is removed from the barrel and try another brand of premium bullet as well.
    Tennessee

Default Seating Depth

After working up because of a lack of data on RL-17 I was able to experiment with different seating depths today. Check out the thread titled RL-17 Lack of Data. I am about to load some more pictures in there.

I also have the same conundrum you are in. My rifle shot Nosler Custom ammo pretty well but at a lower fps than I want. When I loaded to Nosler Dimensions but at a faster fps it was a huge group.

I think I have a good load now for 168 TSX in my rifle.

My browning likes the 180 grain TSX's better than the 168s. Like others have said too, try adjusting your lands distance, I found my sweet spot just over .07 off the lands which is a lot more than I am used to loading. Id recommend you try a box of the 180s and some RL19 or RL17 and see what you get for accuracy unless your 100% set on the lighter bullets. In that case look at the 168s and try to work those up. Hope this helps.

Default 300 wsm

SD,

RL19 (67.5 or 68 grains) with a TSX 180 gr bullet. Since you brought up the montana I will tell you that the one I had shot way better with a fowled barrel. For some reason I could never get it to shoot straight after cleaning each time. To be honest I never could get that thing to ever really shoot right. Factory winchester ammo worked about the best and that only got me to 1.5" groups at 100 yds. I will also tell you that the Kimber Montana, at least in the last few years, has been notorious for poor shot groups. There are a number of reasons why. Basically Kimber seems to have opted more for quantity than quality. That being said I will tell you that I never could hand load that thing and make it work like a $1200 rifle should.

Just my two cents.

Hey Swapdonkey, I don't have a 300 wsm but my buddy does and he had the same problem. Couldn't get it to group for anything. So he called Kimber and asked for advice. They gave him a load to try (sorry but I don't recall what it was) and now it shoots the lights out. Try giving Kimber a call and see what they say.

Also, I have heard that the 300 wsm does not shoot the light stuff all that well, maybe going to a heavier bullet will help.

Good luck with it.

Default Try W 780 as it is the powder designed for the WSMs. Use the same bullet as the

factory ammo, seat your Barnes TSX to exactly the same depth as the factory ammo that shoots well. If it is crimped, then crimp it. Run the factory and handloads through a chronograph until you duplicate the factory velocity. WSMs will shoot as well as a 300 H&H or 300 WinMag, it's just a bit harder in a lightweight thin barreled rifles.
    If it will shoot .5 with factory ammo, it will with handloads.
    You might want to check your reloads for runout as that can be a big factor especially with Barnes that must have that 50 thou jump.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Ammunit...ntricity-Tool/