Thread: Hewescraft 26 alaskan

Default Hewescraft 26 alaskan

If you have two 115hp engines on your 26 Hewes, How do you like them? Do you wish you had more power?
    Has one of the engines ever failed?
    Can you get on plane with just one engine?

Default From one ID-AK guy...

to another: I have twin 135 hp Honda's on my mid-cab 26' Hewes Alaskan, and even loaded I can get up on one motor...with both it takes about 1 1/2 seconds! I am running 15 pitch props...I could run 17 pitch and get more speed at the top end, but I load it heavy a lot and like the extra power.

Subject has been on here several times about getting up on one 115 hp, and some do and some don't, probably depends on prop pitch and load.

I think you are looking at Yamaha's, I wouldn't worry about a Honda or Yamaha new motor going bad on it's own, but you could hit a rock with one and the other could get you home a lot faster than a kicker! Lot's of old discussions on the topic of one vs twin motors, check them out!

PM me if you are in Idaho too!

With twin 115 you can not get on plane with one engine. Yamaha says in the manual not to run one engine over 23 or 28 rpm.

I like my 115. I do at time wish I had more power twin 150
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I repowered to 150s after two seasons. Very glad I did. I can get on step with a single now. No real change in fuel economy, as I cruise same speed, lower RPM. Or cruise faster if I so desire.

If money were no object, I'd re-power my 26-footer with twin Suzuki 175's. For now, the 115's get me where I'm going, and I can find better places to spend $30K.

I only have the 240 Alaskan powered with twin 115's. Can't get on step with one. If I had my druthers, I'd have a single 250 with a 9.9 Kicker.