Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kings are in-

Default Kings are in-

The Kings are in at Ship Creek in Anchorage. Saw one jump there today. Didn't see anyone else down there fishing.

Wow, seems early. I know last year my first time down was around May 15th and was no one fishing at all. When I caught my first on May 31st I think there was a few dozen maybe. May go wet the line next week sometime and see what I see.

Maybe he saw like the -first- King start to enter the river? I figure that for the most part they start around mid may. That being the case we are about two weeks too early? Is Ship creek all thawed out yet? I haven't been there in months.

And on that note What creek usually sees kings first? I thought it was the little sue actually.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

I've been fishing Ship going on my 20th summer now. The earliest I've hooked into a king there was May 1st and the earliest I've landed one was May 16th so it doesn't surprise me that they might be in this early. Is that early though.... depends who you ask. Only one way to find out!

I'm curious about the wild stocks. When I was a kid in the 70's it was illegal to throw rocks in Ship Creek let alone fish for kings. Same w/ Campbell creek you couldn't fish for salmon

Guess I'll start watching the tide tables and go wet the line soon =D

Probably an early one, my guess is they should start running in 2 or 3 weeks.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'm curious about the wild stocks. When I was a kid in the 70's it was illegal to throw rocks in Ship Creek let alone fish for kings. Same w/ Campbell creek you couldn't fish for salmon
    Can't imagine there are wild kings in ship or wild silvers in campbell any more
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Can't imagine there are wild kings in ship or wild silvers in campbell any more
    I don't know about Ship Creek, but there are kings roaming in Cambell creek as I have seen a number of them with my own eyes. I don't know the specifics of how many, but they are there. They don't stock it anymore (if they ever even did) and if there was only one person living in Anchorage a person could probably keep a quite a few and not decimate the run. However, it is closed and rightly so.

Went down to Ship today and watched for a while. Did not see any rolers
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I don't know about Ship Creek, but there are kings roaming in Cambell creek as I have seen a number of them with my own eyes. I don't know the specifics of how many, but they are there. They don't stock it anymore (if they ever even did) and if there was only one person living in Anchorage a person could probably keep a quite a few and not decimate the run. However, it is closed and rightly so.
    Campbell Creek has wild kings, and even a kids fishery for them... However ship creek kings are probably all hatchery. The silvers around Anchorage have a different run timing than the broodstock source they use so its possible that wild silvers are still around in Ship and Campbell

It's about this time of year that someone will catch one, starting the fever.

There were so many people fishing Ship last summer that it was crazy. I swear it was twice the number as the year previous. If it's like that again I'm probably not going to bother. It's just ridiculous at times, and it makes the Russian River not seem quite so bad.

If I have to get to the river at 5am just to get a spot for the 6am opening, it has officially become too crowded for me.

Default just making sure

Figure since i got the day off ill go soak some eggs down at Ship. As far i have checked you can fish from sun up to sun down until later on. Not feel hopeful but its something to do. See people use shrimp and herring down there is it worth it? Or should i stick roe?

Good luck and let us know. I might head down there tonight but it looks like the weather is gonna be crappy
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by DuckDoc View Post
    Figure since i got the day off ill go soak some eggs down at Ship. As far i have checked you can fish from sun up to sun down until later on. Not feel hopeful but its something to do. See people use shrimp and herring down there is it worth it? Or should i stick roe?
    The fishing regs for Ship Creek are on p. 39 of the regulation book. If you're going to fish there make sure you read them carefully. From May 15th - July 13th fishing is only allowed from 6:00 AM until 11:00 PM unless an "emergency order" is issued.

I haven't fished Ship in many years and I always used to use roe, but I've been fishing kings in saltwater for many, many years and I use herring almost exclusively. I would have to think herring would work for a fish that's just coming in from the salt. Salmon shut down their feeding instinct when they go into their spawning phase and when they get into fresh water are (arguably) just biting out of instinct, but I'd think herring would work just as well to trigger that instinct.

In fact when bait becomes legal in streams where people use Kwikfish one of the most popular things to do is to secure a strip of herring or sardine to the belly of the Kwikfish to give it scent. Must be a reason for that!

I bet scent injected prawns would slay... SLAY

Anyone been down there yet? Thinking of heading out tonight or in the morning.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Reading this thread got me wondering....

Anyone ever use a Kwikfish on Ship creek? Not sure if the water is fast enough for plunking a Kwikfish. All I have ever seen down there are spin n glows and eggs and bobber fishers with the occasional guy trying herring.

What do you think? Worth a try?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    Anyone been down there yet? Thinking of heading out tonight or in the morning.

Buddy and I went and flogged the water 2 days ago, notta. Walked the dam and saw nothing up there either. I'll be trying again in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashesta View Post
    Buddy and I went and flogged the water 2 days ago, notta. Walked the dam and saw nothing up there either. I'll be trying again in the next few days.

One of us flogged the water, the other one was getting snagged the whole time. Amateur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast