Thread: Big bore rifle scopes

Default Big bore rifle scopes

What do you guys do to prevent seeing the front sight on low power dangerous game scopes? I have messed with 3 different scopes on my 458 and in each case the front sight is very obvious. The center of the cross hairs are well above the sight and I can't see why it would hamper my ability to hit my mark so should I just learn to ignore it? I am very sure that I want the availability of the iron sights so removing them is not an option.

See through rings are out...they put the scope so high that I feel like I gotta either stand on my tip toes or grow a longer neck to see through them.

I've owned hundreds of bolt action rifles but this is the first one that I have ever left the sights on and I've never put a scope on a lever gun so this is a first time issue for me. What do you guys do?

I've found that about 2.5x makes the front sight disappear on my rifles.

That said- I generally just ignore the front sight in the FOV and I've not noticed it interfering with close range shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    What do you guys do to prevent seeing the front sight on low power dangerous game scopes? I have messed with 3 different scopes on my 458 and in each case the front sight is very obvious. The center of the cross hairs are well above the sight and I can't see why it would hamper my ability to hit my mark so should I just learn to ignore it? I am very sure that I want the availability of the iron sights so removing them is not an option. . . What do you guys do?
    I like low powered scopes on hunting rifles and prefer that they are mounted as low as possible, so the phenomena you describe is common on my rifles. I suppose it was disconcerting at first; I have done it so long now that I don't remember what I first thought, but I can tell you that it I simply ignore the barrel/sight and focus upon the crosshair and target. I think with some practice it will become like wearing a watch or wedding band. You realize they are there if you think about them, but otherwise you simply forget you are wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    What do you guys do to prevent seeing the front sight on low power dangerous game scopes? I have messed with 3 different scopes on my 458 and in each case the front sight is very obvious. The center of the cross hairs are well above the sight and I can't see why it would hamper my ability to hit my mark so should I just learn to ignore it? I am very sure that I want the availability of the iron sights so removing them is not an option.

See through rings are out...they put the scope so high that I feel like I gotta either stand on my tip toes or grow a longer neck to see through them.

I've owned hundreds of bolt action rifles but this is the first one that I have ever left the sights on and I've never put a scope on a lever gun so this is a first time issue for me. What do you guys do?
    1-4 power straight 30 mm tubed scope (pick ur brand)........perfect match.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

A 1X4, 1.5X5, 1.75X6 or a 2X7 will fix it. Maybe even a straight 4X if you don't want a variable power scope.

As already mentioned, magnification below about 3 power will increase the field of view to include the front of the barrel. Just the nature of the beast.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I thought you were going too whack the barrel off at 20"? Not quite the problem after doing that.

I only had one rifle with both iron sights and a scope. It was my S&W 1500 7mm RM. I mounted the scope with see through rings and could still see the front sight, but I just ignored it and concentrated on the target through my cross hairs.

Like others, my philosophy is for mounting the scope as low as possible. My reason for mounting the scope on see though rings with iron sights was to be able to use the iron sights in case my scope failed, i.e., fogged up or whatever. That was back in the day when scopes were much more prone to failure than they are today, and when I hunted in closer conditions.

For dangerous game... they are mainly dangerous when close and if you went with higher mounted see throughs it's not a big deal. If we were talking no kidding dangerous game at close quarters, then I would not use a scope.

JM Canadian $.02

As previously stated just learn to ignore it. My 350 Rem Mag and 375 Ruger both have 1.5-5x20 Leupy's, the front sites are especially visible on 1.5 power. I think somewhere between 3 and 4 power is where they finally disappear.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think, that GUNBUGS is right. It's "Just the nature of the beast."

I had it for years when I was using a 2.5X Weaver Scope on my rifle, and it was really not a problem, but perhaps a wonderment.

I always wondered if it wasn't a function of both, the short 20 inch barrel, and the Low Powered Scope.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've used leupold 1x4, leupold 1.5x5 and swarovski PH 1.25x4 on bolt action dangerous game rifles. The front sights are noticable with all of these set ups at low magnification. I just ignore the front sights.

I put a 2.5 leupold scout scope on my marlin 45/70 and don't remember the front sights even being an issue.

I like seeing the front sight thru a low power scope. Don't ask me why, is just great.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Ignore it. My .375 does the same thing on low power. You want a small bell scope or straight tube scope mounted low to the barrel for a dangerous game rifle. That's what allows for fast handling. Looking at the front sight is just part of the territory with that set up.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    I thought you were going too whack the barrel off at 20"? Not quite the problem after doing that.
    Yes Sir it is headed to Wild West guns to get shortened but the front sight will be put back on it! Since the barrel is tapered I was concerned that moving the sight 6 inches closer to the rear sight might raise it to much to be compensated for with the elevation adjustment in the rear sight. However Brownells is 15 minutes away and I make that trip weekly so I'll worry about crossing that bridge when I get to it.

I'll also learn to ignore that front sight showing up in the scope!

Default Not an issue

I took 3 inches off of my XLR (from 24 to 21 inches), put the XS system on it, and then put a Lepld 2 at the end of the rail...don't even see that front sight tip.

1x Burris in a forward mounted unit on my .500 A-Square. I ignore the front sight.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    1x Burris in a forward mounted unit on my .500 A-Square. I ignore the front sight.

geeze......don't let anybody in the Burris thread know you're using that scope....... on such a large rifle.........they'll have yah convinced that it has already fallen apart.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    geeze......don't let anybody in the Burris thread know you're using that scope....... on such a large rifle.........they'll have yah convinced that it has already fallen apart.
    It just might, mine fell apart on a puny 375.

Thumbs up it's ok...

Just forget about it. Acquire your sight picture and press the trigger.

Default zeiss

Picked up a 1.8-5.5x38 Zeiss to try out on the 358 Norma.
    Haven't got that far but it looks like a pretty good fit.
    We will see how it holds up.