Thread: Regs & your tackle box

Default Regs & your tackle box

I was reading a recent thread in the hunting forum about a pushy law enforcement officer that was checking hook sizes and peoples' tackle boxes as well. When I fish, my tackle box often contains a variety of items that may or may not be permitted in a given system, and I'd assumed that it was what was on your line that determined whether or not regulations were being followed. Is it illegal to have items in your possession (treble hooked spinners, single salmon eggs, etc.) that are not permitted on a given stream even if you're not fishing with them?

on the bank, or in the stream

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Waterdog View Post
    I was reading a recent thread in the hunting forum about a pushy law enforcement officer that was checking hook sizes and peoples' tackle boxes as well. When I fish, my tackle box often contains a variety of items that may or may not be permitted in a given system, and I'd assumed that it was what was on your line that determined whether or not regulations were being followed. Is it illegal to have items in your possession (treble hooked spinners, single salmon eggs, etc.) that are not permitted on a given stream even if you're not fishing with them?

I carry many many different flies, lures, beads etc etc in my box. I dont care what is in my box. It is what is on the end of the line that matters. hell if I have a halibut circle hook in my box and Im floating the upper kenai at the time does that mean Im using it or gonna. Nope. The only one I can see them having a leg to stand on is bait in your boat in a non bait area. I would love to get a ticket for having a treble hook in my box while on a single hook only stream. I dont see that one standing up in court
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I would love to get a ticket for having a treble hook in my box while on a single hook only stream. I dont see that one standing up in court
    Yeah, I think I'd have to agree with that one. I don't see anything in the regs stating it's illegal to have gear in your possession that isn't legal for where you're fishing. I don't have my regs right in front of me but I believe it's worded to say it is illegal to "use for fishing" certain things depending on where you are. I don't see that one standing up in court, either. I've certainly never heard of anyone getting busted for it in the 20 years I've been in Alaska.

Just tell the trooper you'll have to charge 'em with sexual assault... cause they have all the equipment also

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default I Doubt It

I have never seen a law saying it was illegal to possess bait in an area closed to bait. Here are just 2 examples..... You float the upper kenai with the intention of crossing skilak lake and camping that night. You bring some bait so you can shore fish skilak lake while you are camping. I can't see how you could be given a ticket for "possessing" bait on the upper kenai as you floated down and fished it without bait. Or, you leave Bings and head upstream and fish with bait anywhere below the upper killey. If you decided to go fish above the upper killey, in the no bait zone, I doubt that any officer with any common sense at all would not understand why you had bait in your boat. I had one last year shake my boat down pretty good because there was a bag of bait laying on a side rail in my boat, and we were above the upper killey fishing.... after checking everybodys gear and sniffing and squeezing all the flies, and after me explaining to him why the bait was onboard, he was satisfied to only lecture me, which was only annoying, not a day wrecker ticket. Maybe someone in enforcement would like to chime in and set the record straight.

Here's a typical regulation that would underscore the fact that there is nothing saying you can't possess gear that you can't fish with:

Gear for fly-fishing-only waters: In waters designated as fly-fishing-only waters, sport fishing is permitted only as follows: (1) with not more than one unweighted, single-hook fly with gap between point and shank of 3/8 inch or less;

I think the key phrase there is "sport fishing" because they actually define "Sport fishing" as "the taking of or attempting to take" fish. Unless you have illegal gear on the set-up you are utilizing to take fish there's no way, in my opinion, that they can say you are using it to "sport fish."