Thread: Many xc skiers on here?

Default Many xc skiers on here?

Went out for the 1st time ever a couple of times last year(maybe 5k total) on my $25 garage sale specials & enjoyed it. This year I've got a whole 25-35k in & am really having a ball. Just have to figure out how to turn going down hill!!! Anybody else on the board ski the Kenai golf course trail system or the Tsalteshi trails at Skyview?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Well, I xc sometimes. The wife an I went out for the first time this year last weekend and did a six mile loop up by UAF. Up and down. A "two blister" ski I call it. Great day and felt good to get out. I am a downhill skier but had knee surgery in October and am just getting to where I am running agian. May go skiing this weekend.

The first time I went xc skiing my wife took me out (I had been a downhiller for 30+ years). We went down a trail which I thought was going to circle around and we would then at some point walk back up to our car. But nooooo. We turn around and started skiing uphill! I said "What's up with this, uphill skiing! this is what chairlifts are for!"

Well, she keeps getting me out anyway.

Perry

Default Best off-season sheep hunting training

Fellow sportsmen,
    I cross country ski all winter and compete at an elite "master's" level. It is the best off-season conditioning and strengthening you can do for sheep hunting, without pounding your knees to a pulp. I log approximately 100km per week, probably 65 k skating and 35k classic. My training group does some pretty hard core strength and circuit training once a week as well. I can think of no better training for sheep hunting, except mountain running, like Bird Ridge and Mt. Marathon, which is what I do all summer! Skiing gives my knees a break for the winter.

BTW, the only additional training you need to do for sheep hunting if you ski all winter, and run/hike all summer, is about 10-12 long hikes with a 60 lb pack during June and July. If you have skied all winter, and kept up with your training in the spring and early summer, that is. A good core conditioning program is also excellent to keep your belly small and back strong for carrying those heavy packs in sheep country safely.

I know of several fellow hard-core sheep hunters and guides that are avid cross country skiers and mountain runners. Very dedicated and can pretty much go anywhere (with the exception of technical climbing), any distance while sheep hunting.

Try it! However, my advice is to try it out on borrowed gear, and if you like it, spend as much money on the best gear you can afford. It will make it more enjoyable for you, and you will keep up with it as part of a good healthy training regimen and lifestyle. Good luck and enjoy! I would be happy to answer any questions from anyone who wishes to get into x-c skiing, or would like to get better at it!

-Chris

Thanks Chris.
    I am looking at it as a conditioning tool as well as recreation. At 46 I need it & want to shed about 30# by fall.
    Like I said, I'm a rookie to the nth degree. I have garage sale waxless skis that I'm sure are all I'll need for a year or two. I have several sets. I'm 5'6 & have been using 210s, but today tried 195s hoping they would make the turning easier, but with todays conditions on the local trail I couldn't tell. Hadn't been groomed since a HS skate race last Sat. & was a rutted ice rink. Will the shorter skis slow my decent & turn a little easier?
    Remember, you said any question so look out ;-)
    Thanks.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Hi Vance!

Vance,
    I classic ski on the equivalent of 210's and I am 6'-0". You definately would benefit in terms of maneuverability by going with 190's or 195's for sure.

Other tips to improve your technique:

1) For classic skiing/diagonal striding, make sure your pole length is correct. They should fit snugly under your armpits when placed on the ground while you are on your skis.

2) Your hands should come up through the pole straps from below, then pull down and grip the pole grip. This will allow you a more powerful poling motion and proper follow through.

3) Your poles are not outriggers. Bring them in front of you. Proper poling technique is to plant your pole no wider than shoulder width, arm bent somewhere between 120-100 degrees. Do not collapse your arms during the poling phase, and make sure you extend and follow through as your arm passes your thigh.

4) Keep your knees bent. Skiing with a "locked" knee or straight leg will cause you to lose your balance, especially on downhills. Keep a forward lean. NOT from the waist, but your entire body, rather.

5) Speaking of downhills...the easiest way to negotiate a downhill and downhill turns is to get low. Think of yourself as a football linebacker. Keep your knees bent, your upper body low as well. Almost to the pont of dragging your knuckles. This makes it easy to absorb bumps, snowplow with either ski, and to brace yourself. If you need to sit down, or make a controlled fall, you can do so easily without pitching over from standing too upright.

I better stop there as I could go on for days. I LOVE skiing and it is a big part of my life. However I do not consider myself a "skier". Rather, I am a dude with lots of interests, and among those are x-c and backcountry skiing.

Stay warm and have fun! Keep the questions coming, if you'd like.

-Chris