Thread: I put this on the canoe forum...

Default I put this on the canoe forum...

... but got no bites.

I just bought an old 4hp Johnson at a garage sale, and it fired right up in the test tank. I had one of these motors long ago, but I can't remember how much it is supposed to pee from the holes on either side of the shaft housing. Also, is that the only place the exchanged water exits? Seems to run OK, but I don't want to overheat it. Any wisdom on this matter?

I don't have any experience with that motor, but J Kimberly in Anchorage could answer your question with a quick call.

(907) 349-1894
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I recently picked up an older outboard at an estate sale. IMHO it is best to replace the water pump every year or at least every other year. I would pull it apart and clean out the gunk and replace the pump. That's what I did to mine, added a set of plugs as well.

Just a tip, if you get a plugged pee hole on an outboard, take a small piece of thin wire and twist it in half real tight. Chuck it in a drill and run it in the pee hole like a drain snake.

Good Luck

Steve

Default Thanks guys

I was thinking I might need to replace the water pump. Should be an easy and cheap fix and put my mind at ease.