Thread: New custom transom

Default New custom transom

So I have a 22 ft riveted Lund Baron. It is their big water series style of boat. The rivets have been holding up fine but the design of the spash well has caused some issues. To make a long story short, the wood in the transom is going south and fast. I am going to try and limp it through the summer but we shall see. What I am hoping to do is find someone who does custom aluminum work this winter to get this fixed. What I would like to do is sqaure of the stern and put on a offshore bracket. By doing this, I would open up about 3 more feet of fishing space. I assume it will be pricey but it will be MUCH cheaper than buying a new boat. Plus, the transom needs to be fixed anyways. Any recomendations on who to take this project to? Can you weld onto thin sheet metal or will the new transom have to be riveted in? Man, I hope not!

Basically I want to go from this,

To This....

Just remember it's not just the cost of adding the bracket and sealing up the splash well, you'll need longer steering and control cables, maybe battery cables, fuel line, etc, etc.

While the mods will be less than getting a new boat, they might not pencil out comparing selling your boat and getting what you really want.

What you want can be done from what I have seen. How much do you like this boat? Has two footitis sunk in yet? It might make more sense to sell it and by a new to you boat that fits the bill. I will PM you a recommendation for a great welder and fabricator.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well, the problem is that the boat "as is" should not be sold to anyone as the damage to the transom could make the boat unsafe. So either way I am already into this for maybe $3000. I can take care of the rigging issues myself so they shouldn't to much of a cost obstacle. However, when it comes to having someone weld and seal up the boat, I am more than willing to pay a pro. To be honest, I am really sick about the whole situation and am just trying to look at the positve side of things.

The damage is from water intrusion btw. Why in the hell are we still using wood in a transom in the 21st century? Surely there is a better product out there.

Have you contacted lund about this? I would be curious to hear their response to the water damage.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

This is not your father's Lund Boat company. Ever since Brunswick purchased them customer service has gone down. They told me they would take a look at it and give me a free estimate if I took it by their facility in Brainerd, MN. I bought the boat because of the lifetime hull warranty and the unbelievable customer service reputation they have in the upper midwest. Those days are gone and they only thing they offer a lifetime warranty on is the double rivited seems.

Anyways, I love the boat and would like to get it fixed properly

Arc & Spark Welding or Silver Streak Boats can do the transom work you are looking for.

Talk to Gary at Great Land Welding he does a great job at a fare price