Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing guide pleads guilty, fined $5,000

Default Fishing guide pleads guilty, fined $5,000

ouch!
    http://www.adn.com/2010/04/29/125691...lty-fined.html

KENAI -- A sportfishing guide who pleaded guilty this week to a count of aiding a client in a violation has been ordered to pay a $5,000 fine, according to the state Office of Special Prosecutions.
    Fishing Fool Charter owner Jeffrey Glosser, 43, was also ordered to compensate the state the $504 for the undercover fishing trip cost and was placed on informal probation for three years, prosecutors said.

According to court documents, two undercover Alaska Wildlife Troopers went out on a halibut trip in Cook Inlet on July 30, 2009, aboard Glosser's fishing vessel Big But. The limit was two halibut each, but after the troopers had each retained two, Glosser again baited their hooks and then kept a third fish for each officer, prosecutors say.

Glosser also said they could keep fishing for a fourth fish and that if they caught a bigger one, a smaller fish could "jump out of the box," according to court documents.

Glosser also falsified his logbook to indicate that each fisherman had caught only two halibut, prosecutors said
    Glosser pleaded guilty to one count of aiding a client in a violation at his arraignment Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by s_wright121 View Post
    Fishing Fool Charter owner Jeffrey Glosser, 43, was also ordered to compensate the state the $504 for the undercover fishing trip cost and was placed on informal probation for three years, prosecutors said.

He really is a "fishing fool"!!!!!!

This is unfortunate. Surely the guide had good intentions.
    Lurker.

How can you say that COto AK?

Good intentions???...he intentionally broke the law...and I can only assume that the reason there were two undercover AWT's on his boat is because he had broken the law previously..

good intentions?

what the heck are you talking about?

i would say greedy and selfish intentions, but good? not in my book.

Default Glad to see the State

recovered the cost of the charter also.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

It would be an interesting statistic to see what percentage of undercover ops result in a bust on charters... It might be a pretty embarrassing statistic for the charter fleet here in AK..

My guess would be that most charters don't go over their limit. But you'll probably find that many boats end up turning a blind eye to filling the boat limit while ignoring individuals going over their personal limit.

Default I think

As I know COtoAK.... she was speaking tounge-in-cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    How can you say that COto AK?

Good intentions???...he intentionally broke the law...and I can only assume that the reason there were two undercover AWT's on his boat is because he had broken the law previously..

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Aha!...the internet sarcasm detector failed again. lol...

Talking I'm Sure

that in good conscience, the troopers gave thier illigal halibut to a charity of reputable standing.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    As I know COtoAK.... she was speaking tounge-in-cheek.
    .... Dave, you know me so well.

I'll say this.
    People are human. I am sorry that this guy did what he did. He's human and he's not perfect. Who can say that they are perfect? I am not perfect and you aren't perfect, either. We are not greater than or less than this guy. We are not above him or before him. What if he is a fellow fisherman and guide on this board? Instead of lifting him up, have all we done as a community has kicked him down?

What I get is that things are absolute and the law is the law straight across the board. I was told that once by a master guide. A guide that is even on this board. The law will prevail in the end whether we agree on it or disagree on it. The law is the law.

He's paying his for his consequence and that's that and it's unfortunate and he did so by pleading guilty and paying his fine.
    By the way, I am not saying by any means that I agree with what he did.
    I guess I have a little bit more compassion for people with situations as these and I am just sharing my heart.
    Blame it on me being a woman and being emotional.

What if it were you?
    What if it was me?

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    How can you say that COtoAK?

...and what happens to a person who doesn't intentionally break the law, but has a similar circumstance? Should they have the same fine and the same outcome?

So... there you have it. I'll go back to lurking.
    Lurker.

Apparently the guy had his own interpretation of the law! Just being funny, people!!!

There's laws?

Default Yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    There's laws?
    Yes there are!! I found that out with my first (and only) F&G ticket.

Yes there are!! I found that out with my first (and only) F&G ticket.
    You make me smile, Dave! You aren't a Fishing Boat Charter company, are you??? Be sure you don't get another citation! You, too, might earn yourself a 5k fine!
    Lurker.

Default No

No I moved into civilization from the bush. I had no idea there were regional regulations, area regulations, stream specific regulations.......salt water regulations and emergency closures.

Up there if you saw a duck it was duck season. If you stopped seeing ducks, duck season was over. Life was simplier then ;-)

No I moved into civilization from the bush. I had no idea there were regional regulations, area regulations, stream specific regulations.......salt water regulations and emergency closures.

Up there if you saw a duck it was duck season. If you stopped seeing ducks, duck season was over. Life was simplier then ;-)
    Rep +1 if I could.
    Lurker.

This is not a question of humans not being perfect. There is no leeway in not understanding the laws in regard to fishing regulations. I would say that almost all charter operators are completely legitimate. Maybe they forget to sign their log book or miscount on fish once in great while, but I would say almost none do what this moron did. It was not even for his friends or someone he knew but for complete strangers.

I wish that guides would lose their ability to take people for hire when they do things like this. High grading fish( throwing back dead small ones for bigger fish), intentional over harvesting, stabbing fish the throwing them back in....All very disrespectful of the resource and are not issues of humans being flawed...Those are issues of someone that should not be allowed to continue fishing for a living anymore.

Yeah, I have to agree wholeheartedly. I wasn't in on his legal proceedings, but if you take at face value the news report:

"The limit was two halibut each, but after the troopers had each retained two, Glosser again baited their hooks and then kept a third fish for each officer, prosecutors say.

Glosser also said they could keep fishing for a fourth fish and that if they caught a bigger one, a smaller fish could "jump out of the box," according to court documents."

That sounds to me like willful disregard for the law. That is heinous and IMHO he deserves a bigger punishment than he got.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast