Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When the troopers swoop in

Default When the troopers swoop in

what are you obliged to discuss with them? I can see where you would be obligated to show them a hunting or fishing license and inspect any fish or game bagged, but what else is necessary? It seems like they are always trying to engage you in conversation, fishing for more information.

When can I cut the conversation short and ask them bother someone else? I am there to hunt or fish or camp with my friends, not exchange pleasantries.

I have never had a game violation and never want one. My hours in the woods are short and precious and I don't want to spend unnecessary time "chatting" with strangers who wish me no good will.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    what are you obliged to discuss with them? I can see where you would be obligated to show them a hunting or fishing license and inspect any fish or game bagged, but what else is necessary? It seems like they are always trying to engage you in conversation, fishing for more information.

When can I cut the conversation short and ask them bother someone else? I am there to hunt or fish or camp with my friends, not exchange pleasantries.

I have never had a game violation and never want one. My hours in the woods are short and precious and I don't want to spend unnecessary time "chatting" with strangers who wish me no good will.
    They have the power to do as they want includeing going into your home without a warrent.Being friendly and a two way chat is often helpfull with both parties getting good info. I'm sure you would be happy to spend time talking with them if you needed their help.JMHO

Default And then there are those

Like the guy that checked me coming out of south Denali Hwy 2 years ago that just wanted to chat.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have several trooper friends, & I can't see any of them as someone who "Wish you no good will".
    Sounds like maybe you have an attitude or preconceived notion toward the troopers that might cause them to be less than friendly themselves.

I welcome them in my camp for a cup of coffee as I would any other hunter (which everyone of them I know is), & treat them the same. If I'm getting ready to head out I simply tell them that.
    That said they can have bad days like anyone else. Who knows what the last guy treated them like?
    What am I obligated to tell them? I'm not sure. As long as I haven't committed any violations I guess it doesn't matter.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default "Strangers who wish me no good will"

The troopers I've encountered in the woods (twice) and fishing (once) were friendly. I aim to keep my contacts and relations with Troopers amicable. They're the good guys.

Tim

Default big books

Good will and the letter of the law are two different things. Those F&W are employed in forcing the letter of the law, NOT sharing good will.

1" here, a little brisket there, a few yrds further, ect...............

Short and sweet is the approach I take.

Maybe I forgot to reneue my boat tabs. Maybe I went out with three life jackets instead of 4.

When they take the brown shirt off..... we can be more friendly.

It's like bear enounters, most just run off and are good bears but ya still gotta be prepared for the onery ones.

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I have several trooper friends, & I can't see any of them as someone who "Wish you no good will".
    Sounds like maybe you have an attitude or preconceived notion toward the troopers that might cause them to be less than friendly themselves.

I welcome them in my camp for a cup of coffee as I would any other hunter (which everyone of them I know is), & treat them the same. If I'm getting ready to head out I simply tell them that.
    That said they can have bad days like anyone else. Who knows what the last guy treated them like?
    What am I obligated to tell them? I'm not sure. As long as I haven't committed any violations I guess it doesn't matter.
    Spot-on comments. When I worked for a guide the Trooper was a welcome sight to break up the monotony and interject new conversation over a cup of coffee.

Vance's last statement hits the homerun for me, too.

Tim

Default No problems

I have never had a problem either and in the first 7 years of owning my boat I was stopped 17 times. Ticketed once but I did not understand the regulations as when I moved here I lived in the bush and there were no regulations.

So to learn the regs I became a Hunter Ed, Archery and Bear Baiting instructor. I know most of the reg now.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Smile

I had an experience with an over zealous trooper once, he was making life miserable for everyone on the river. Hiding in trees and jumping out to scold anyone who looked like they were snagging. Checking the hook size of not only what you were using but all of the hooks in your tackle box. Just being a butt head in general, he is now riding a desk thanks to many complaints.

But he was a true exception, all of my other contacts with troopers have been pleasant and I actually enjoy talking to them. They are doing a tough job and I respect their commitment. Remember they are the Good guys!!
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Thumbs up Donut? Officer...

Don't offer them any coffee and/or donuts, or they will never leave....

OK SERIOUSLY, be glad they are out there, present for the bandits to see, available to assist victims. Frankly, I wish we had a greater law enforcement presence, and a legal system that would really support them, throughout our hunting-fishing-guiding world in Alaska.

...just me...
    dennis

The idle chit chat resulted in some prime duck hunting info that I could not have obtained by any other means.

If a conversation with a LEO makes a person uneasy that person needs to review their past behavior and find what they did wrong to someone else and are feeling guilty about.

Default Is this true in Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    They have the power to do as they want includeing going into your home without a warrent.Being friendly and a two way chat is often helpfull with both parties getting good info. I'm sure you would be happy to spend time talking with them if you needed their help.JMHO
    Troopers have the power to supercede the US constitution and conduct home searches without a warrant?

Default No they don't

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    Troopers have the power to supercede the US constitution and conduct home searches without a warrant?
    They need a warrent unless there is evidence that a crime IS being commited.

Like hearing a scream and gunshots.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default ...

Yeah, I LOVE this topic!!

I have a friend's father that is a judge. And his CONSTANT reminder is to not share ANY info with the Troopers that you might feel would be wrong. If you don't know, don't say. They are there to inforce the law, and use whatever you say against you. 24/7, they are Troopers!

If you have nothing to hide, you "should" be just fine.

As with any group, ONE apple can ruin the whole batch. I've had negative run ins with Troopers (plural), to the point where I was told that he'd "just arrest me and since he is a Trooper the courts will believe him". Since that day, i've always stated i'm not a fan of LEOs. Just left me with a bad representation of them.

I do however GREATLY appreciate the job that LEOs do (especially Troopers). It is a thankless job, and very hard emotionally, and physically. They don't get the recognition they deserve for their efforts.

And 99% of them are great people (in and out of work), it's that 1% that gives them the black eye. I have quite a few friends that are Troopers (and they are good friends too, not just acquantinces). I have nothing to hide, and am open about my past, negative, dealings with them and why I have a sometimes negative attitude towards some situations with them.

All in all, you treat them normal, they'll do the same. If you have nothing to hide, and are doing nothing illegal, they will just do their job and check a few things and then wish you well.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default A story...

Let me start by saying I respect the troopers and am always happy to see them. Just note, they are trained to get information out of you. I was parked on the Denali Highway, looking up at the lodge I was about to purchase 2 years ago. Here's a true interaction I had:

me: Hello Officer.

him: Hello, Sir. How is your day going?

me: Great! Just enjoying the weather and the drive.

him: You doing any bear hunting?

me: No, just looking at that place right up the hill to buy.

him: Great. Looks like a nice location.

me: Yes, we think so.

(my brain goes back.... wait, I would shoot a bear if I seen it... should I say something?)

me: Oh, just so you know, I would shoot a bear if I seen one. I wouldn't want to mis-lead you.

him: Oh, well in that case can I see your hunting license, guns, and such?

(I'm thinking... normally I don't show officers anything unless I have a dead animal, as it's my right to be in the woods with a gun at any time for any reason.... but I already admitted that I would shoot a bear if I seen one.... dang it!)

me: Sure.

So, moral of the story, it's their job to get information. There was a lot more chit chat before the bear question, real friendly and such.

To answer your original question, no, you are not obliged to say anything. I would caution that if you are in the middle of a casual conversation, just think about what your saying before you say it, cause it will come up later.

You are NOT obligated to show them your fishing or hunting licence unless they see you fishing, or see you shooting an animal or dressing one out, or if you admit that you are hunting, such as I did in the story above. My dad always told them he was "Taking his gun for a walk". Nothing they could do.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Last spring as my wife and I were motoring from shore back to the boat with my bear (we had life jackets on), we saw the troopers round the corner into our anchorage and beeline for our boat. They arrived about the time we got aboard, and pulled alongside. "Looks like you had some success" from the troopers. "Yeah, we got a real nice buck!" We all had a laugh, they checked licenses - didn't check game bags at all - we chatted a bit, and they went on their way.

In my encounters with troopers, they have been very fair, cordial, and helpful (one helped us haul gear from the plane to the top of the dock before checking game bags for all meat including rib strips). I've never felt the least bit harrassed.

My buddy and I have twice had trooper(s) approach us in the field. The first were plain clothed officers in waders carrying fishing rods two hours prior to the opening of the Russian River. Two guys came walking into the confluence as we were headed towards the Russian. There were 4 people in the confluence fishing. Had a normal conversation but they tripled checked with us to make sure we weren't "Also" fishing with thoses people. I informed them that section of river was not opened to fishing yet and since two of them had cannons strapped to their hips I wasn't going to say anything. One of the guys said "Don't worry, we'll tell them" then took off their jackets and they both had badges on.

The other time was out in the middle of nowhere while we were duck hunting. Out in the middle of no where and a Trooper rode up on his wheeler and asked us for our license. Nice guys in both instances. Glad they were out there. Still, slightly intimidating even though we weren't in the wrong in either place.

Default getting checked

First off, why would a thread like this even get started? Sounds like the Bitter Old Man sendrum. I have been checked several times, all while hunting. The Troopers have always been very nice and seemed to enjoy the conversation. Never took more than 15 mins of my time. Dont be an ass is the bottom line

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    They need a warrent unless there is evidence that a crime IS being commited.

Like hearing a scream and gunshots.
    It does not have to be, being committed.Only that something has been committed involving F&G. All troopers are traffic and fish and game but those working as fish and game by assignment have extra power of search and seizure. Heck it was the local trooper that talked me into getting my free old folks licenes

Been checked a number of times, and have always been dealt with cordially and respectfully. In my experience you get what you give with any form of enforcement. Show them the same respect and well mannered attitude you expect in return, and generally you will get the same.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast