Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoating floorboards?

Default Recoating floorboards?

I'm not happy with the urethane coating on my wooden floorboard. What else can I use? Garage floor epoxy? I don't want something abrasive. Any thoughts?

I had the spray on bed liner done last year, they seem real durable, I like they way they look, my floor is 5/8 CDX, nothing special thats for sure.

It cost about $400.00, about a third more than what I was quoted?
    Not unhappy as it was just a number over the phone, however, if I had know that I may have invested in some better plywood. This is a 20 foot boat.
    So maybe 3 sheets roughly 4' X 5' and some 4 smaller pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    I'm not happy with the urethane coating on my wooden floorboard. What else can I use? Garage floor epoxy? I don't want something abrasive. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Linings Unlimited in Anchorage

I took AK Gramps advice and had mine professionaly sprayed too. Linings Unlimited in the King st. District of Anchorage did mine. I pre cut, pre drilled, and beveled the edges and dropped them off at his shop. He sprayed mine for closer to $200 bucks. It looks great, very durable and slip resistant. I also removed the foam from under my floor and added some drywells or storage area's.
    Last edited by akdanman; 04-30-2010 at 14:15. Reason: Add Pic

Quote Originally Posted by akdanman View Post
    I took AK Gramps advice and had mine professionaly sprayed too. Linings Unlimited in the King st. District of Anchorage did mine. I pre cut, pre drilled, and beveled the edges and dropped them off at his shop. He sprayed mine for closer to $200 bucks. It looks great, very durable and slip resistant. I also removed the foam from under my floor and added some drywells or storage area's.
    Is that a Woly AK? I would be very interested in hearing more and seeing more pics of your project. Especially the dry wells!

I like the idea of the spray on bedliner but it's just not in the budget currently. Need more of a do it yourself liner. Not really interested in using a truck bed liner. IMO they just don't hold up and the do it yourself ones are very abrasive and break down in sunlight.

Spray in bed liner, you won't be disappointed, and you won't be re-doing it in 2 years!

I'm afraid it will be too abrasive against my pontoons. Plus, it's not cost effective for me to spend that kind of money. It would be more than I have invested in my boat and trailer combined.

I have an 18' Hewescraft I am thinking of using the spray in bed liner on new replacement plywood.

Do you get both sides of the floor boards sprayed with bed liner? if not, what do you apply to the underside of the floor to prevent the bottom from rotting out?

Thanks

I think I am going to use grey marine floor paint for my boards. Seems to hold up decent on other boards I've seen. I'd imagine they get both sides done.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    I have an 18' Hewescraft I am thinking of using the spray in bed liner on new replacement plywood.

Do you get both sides of the floor boards sprayed with bed liner? if not, what do you apply to the underside of the floor to prevent the bottom from rotting out?

Thanks
    I just had the tops and the edges sprayed..................the bottom is supposed to stay dry
    I did use some foam tape, similar to what one might use for a camper top on the back of a pickup. I put that down on the aluminum channel I was screwing to, hopefully to make it quieter. I cant jump up & down and say thats the ticket, but I think it helped and any noise reduction is a good thing.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    I think I am going to use grey marine floor paint for my boards. Seems to hold up decent on other boards I've seen. I'd imagine they get both sides done.
    That`s what we did on John`s boat 3-4 coats in the heavy wear areas and it`s just fine...paint them completely top/bottom/sides and they`ll last as long as you`ll want the boat...if ever needed a roller and 10 minutes will make them look new again.

Thanks Charlie. I'm going to go with some grey paint and call it good.

Buying a boat that needs new floorboards. 20' Koffler Baybee thinking of all weather wood
    bottom sealed with deck sealer. And top with glue down boat floor covering. Would love to find a plastic of composite decking material. Concerned with all weather wood and copper is it still treated with copper? Copper & aluminum is a bad combo. Any afordable ideas?

U could use marine floor paint. I chose to use bilge paint for easy cleanup since I plan to use dri dek over it.

Default Decking

I used marine floor paint on plywood with silica sand turned out quite nice, old wood looked OK after 19 years without much care.

Default Weight

Any idea how much weight the spray in added to your boat?? I relay like that idea if it wont be to heavy.
    Thanks
    Will

Default Floor boards

Why not diamond plate? If you spend $400 on spray on lining you could diamond plate your boat for that and its lighter than plywood and wont get water logged or rot? never have to replace again? just a thought?

why cheap out and do it so half cocked it will end up being craaaap!, will be better to do it right the first time, save up your pennies, i think it stems from a problem with the "have to have it now" generation way of thinking. some parents really need to do their kids a favor when raising them and say "NO" once in a while.
    Semper Fi!

I thought about diamond plate, but concerned with noise and cold transfer. Glare is a factor with diamond plate also unless you sandblast it, then it promotes oxidation. Spent a week cleaning the oxidation off my hull, and could recoat my deck in 4 hrs. JMHO! KK

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I had the spray on bed liner done last year, they seem real durable, I like they way they look, my floor is 5/8 CDX, nothing special thats for sure.

It cost about $400.00, about a third more than what I was quoted?
    Not unhappy as it was just a number over the phone, however, if I had know that I may have invested in some better plywood. This is a 20 foot boat.
    So maybe 3 sheets roughly 4' X 5' and some 4 smaller pieces.

AKgramps-
    Nice floor boards, but what got my attention was the saddle tanks. I am planning on installing some on my boat, but never considered running them the length of the boat. What are the dimensions are your tanks and how much do they hold? How is the flow when they get low to ensure that the fuel at low level migrates to the stern?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast