Thread: Campbell Creek Float

Default Campbell Creek Float

A buddy and I are looking to do a Campbell Creek float as soon as possible (we're newbs to stream canoeing), just for the fun of it and to scout out trout holes. Can anybody tell us when it typically becomes floatable in a canoe (due to ice, low water, etc)? Would off Elmore be a good put in point, or is further downstream a better starting point? For that matter, how about the class l section of Eagle River (not for fishing, just for the float)?

Thanks, Scott

campbell creek can be fun....put in at lake otis bridge......TAKE OUT AT DOWLING BRIDGE! lots of nasty deadfalls and big rocks downstream of that. dont forget campbell, chester, and ship creeks are closed to all fishing until june 14th......and after that its catch and release only except silvers after july 25th........watch your heads going under the bridge at peanut farm its low clearance escpecially during highwater......go on a hot day and dont forget to bring beer ( if your legal age to drink that is)

Release Lake Trout

Default Campbell creek

Well when we float it we park a truck to take out at taku lake of 76th and put in at piper street off Tudor.We have a blast just floating but when the silvers are in,it is a great way to acsess all of the holes.The creek changes every year so can't point out any holes for you,but there will be some for you to find.I heard about you can't keep the trout this year,don't know about catch and release.There are alot of dollies though we don't catch many till the kings and reds show up.you should have alot of fun but watch out for the number of newly fallen trees,more than once they caused me to swim!!

I would wait a few weeks. Campbell Creek still has a lot of ice shelves might make for an exicting float.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Emergency orders have been issued to restrict sport fishing on Campbell and Chester creeks, including University Lake and the Sixmile Creek drainage on Elmendorf Air Force Base. All sport fishing is closed from April 26 through June 14 to protect spawning rainbow/steelhead trout and will be open the remainder of the year to catch-and-release only. These restrictions go into effect Monday, April 26, 2010, for the remainder of the year.

For more information on the pathology concern, see the news release posted at http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=767 For more information about these emergency orders, contact Fishery Biologist Chuck Brazil in Anchorage at (907) 267-2186.</SPAN>

Release Lake Trout

Guys, thanks for your inputs. Pulled the canoe out of storage today, waiting for ice-out!

Default Canoes on Campbell Creek

If it were me, I'd wait until it warms up enough to not worry about taking a swim in the creek. A canoe is tough to handle on Campbell without overturning, because of the numerous sweepers, logs and tight turns. You could scratch the itch by getting out on some of our local lakes, which are pretty close to melting off now. It would get you on the water sooner anyway.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Floating Campbell Creek

Would off Elmore be a good put in point, or is further downstream a better starting point?

I would suggest you NOT put in at Elmore or Campbell Airstrip Road. There are too many sweepers and log jams for an enjoyable float; just above Tudor is a great spot.

Jewell Lake is ice free if you want to get a boat in the water.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Thumbs up

Right now the best put in will be on Potter Road just a jog up the street from Kawasaki dealership... from there - float to the take-out bike-path bridge near the 'west' Dimond Fred Meyer.

Yes - there are some wooded sections w/ some sweepers/strainers in the stream and muddy banks of spring. Put a vehicle at either end or you can bicycle a nice route on the bike-path back to put in.

Wear your life vests, fishin' waders w/ belts tight around the wast-line, and have a good time. Four of our renters with very little boating experience have gone down this exact stretch already with no dilemmas and had fun (not too much work w/ wooded sections). They got my waders a little muddy and one lost a shoe but found it --- 2 in an AIRE Traveler Canoe and two in 1 person boats.

Portage Creek is also open --- floated a couple weeks ago.

I like the vehicle at one end and bike at other... What seams to work the best is drop boat off on Potter road (lock it)... drive to take out (maybe pick up a little food/drink at Freddies)... Bike back to put in (switch out lock to Bicycle)... Paddle on down......... this way you have a warm car at the bottom if ya get wet or chilled.

There`s a nasty logjam where it crosses under Minnesota...be careful...I`ve been dumped twice in there.

Default Good info, H&FAK...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Emergency orders have been issued to restrict sport fishing on Campbell and Chester creeks, including University Lake and the Sixmile Creek drainage on Elmendorf Air Force Base. All sport fishing is closed from April 26 through June 14 to protect spawning rainbow/steelhead trout and will be open the remainder of the year to catch-and-release only. These restrictions go into effect Monday, April 26, 2010, for the remainder of the year.

For more information on the pathology concern, see the news release posted at http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=767 For more information about these emergency orders, contact Fishery Biologist Chuck Brazil in Anchorage at (907) 267-2186.</SPAN>

Just the idea of whirling ds here is sobering though, isn't it?

yes it is leech....god forbid it ever happens. ive fished campbell since i was 5 years old (20 years now), and Ive definately noticed a drop in 10+" trout numbers. I sure wish they could figure out whats wrong.....it could be all the pollution, could be low food supplies, less salmon eggs to eat due to poor returns, people killing them off and/or catchin the crap out of them and keepin em I wouldnt eat one out of there would you?.........who knows? people could be dumping exotic fish or pet fish in there even and that can introduce disease as well.

Release Lake Trout

Great input guys, I appreciate it. Took the canoe down the raging Rabbit Slough Saturday to get my paddling skills back. Great beautiful day on the water.