Thread: Old Johnson 4hp

Default Old Johnson 4hp

Anybody own one of these? I used to have one years ago on a 17 foot Alumicraft, but traded it off to my brother-in-law. Recently I picked another one up for $25 at a garage sale, and finally got around to firing it up tonight. It runs great, but doesn't seem to put much water out the pee holes (several on either side of the shaft housing) anybody know how much is supposed to come out? Is there more than one place it exchanges water? I shut it off in case it might overheat, but I'd sure like to run it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Anybody own one of these? I used to have one years ago on a 17 foot Alumicraft, but traded it off to my brother-in-law. Recently I picked another one up for $25 at a garage sale, and finally got around to firing it up tonight. It runs great, but doesn't seem to put much water out the pee holes (several on either side of the shaft housing) anybody know how much is supposed to come out? Is there more than one place it exchanges water? I shut it off in case it might overheat, but I'd sure like to run it soon.
    I'd find a dealer online who still carries older johnson parts and order a new water pump. Outboards last forever, but up here in Alaska....the silty conditions that a motor may have been subjected to may have worn the water pump. It's pretty common stuff with older johnsons. I would also run the outboard at mid throttle and see if it pisses more water.....if so....than you wont need to replace the water pump. Some outboards actually don't put out much water at idle.

I've got an old Johnson fisherman 6 H.P. and it dont "P" much either picked it up with some other stuff in a trade years ago. Makes my 12 sears john boat fly right along. Have put it on my 12ft westren V hull and it pushes it right along. Not gonna water ski with it but but sure good for trolling all day long, and very little gas.

Gun Runner

I have a 4hp twin cylinder Evinrude for my 16ft Grumman sq stern. Your tell tale stream should be discernable at mid idle as previously noted. First thing I do with any used OB's is to put a new water pump impeller, change the lower unit oil, and tune it up. These are great motors !

Default OMC Parts

Original OMC parts still around from a dealer if you have one close. Points, carb kits, gaskets, water pumps, about anything you want. Michigan Wheel makes props.

Or Sierra makes pumps and other parts for the older OMCs. You can order them on-line from these folks.
    http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/

Get two. A spare water pump is a good thing to have around. I change mine every couple or three years. Cheap insurance. Zack

Default Old motor

DON'T FORGET THIS IS AN OLD MOTOR SOME TIMES THE INPELLER GET'S SET FROM OLD AGE THE VAINES ARE NOT SOFT IF i WAS YOU FOLLOW THE ADAVISE AN CHANGE THE INPELLER, OIL AN NEW PLUGS IF THE OLD ONES ARE OLD IT SHOULD TAKE CARE OF IT FOR ANOTHER 5 + YEARS IF IT IS A SINGLE CYLENDER LOOK FOR A CD FOR IT , THAT WILL MAKE IT EASY A LOT EASY ER TO START. [ GET THEM FOR ABOUT $30 I THINK]

Unhappy Well, did that.

Took off the lower unit and replaced the impeller with a new one, and cleaned up the impeller housing. Put her back together and started her up (runs great!). Still only "weeping" from the four holes on either side of the shaft housing. I tried running wire up the holes as I have done on my big Honda, but no dice. Any other possibilities? Thermostat of some kind not opening? Maybe it is only supposed to put out a few dribbles...

Took off the lower unit and replaced the impeller with a new one, and cleaned up the impeller housing. Put her back together and started her up (runs great!). Still only "weeping" from the four holes on either side of the shaft housing. I tried running wire up the holes as I have done on my big Honda, but no dice. Any other possibilities? Thermostat of some kind not opening? Maybe it is only supposed to put out a few dribbles...

run her above idle, does the flow increase out of the pissah?? if it does.....don't worry about it and just enjoy that old johnson. some of them dont put out much water at idle, nothing to be alarmed about.

Default Every man...

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    run her above idle, does the flow increase out of the pissah?? if it does.....don't worry about it and just enjoy that old johnson. some of them dont put out much water at idle, nothing to be alarmed about.
    ... worries a little about overheating his johnson.

I have a 4hp. evinrude "yahtsman" (1974) I believe and the operators book that comes with it and it says that it will weep or shoot a mist out the holes on the shaft. Mine does the same as yours. I have run it quite a bit and think the same as you do with whether its working correctly or not but according to the book it is. Hope that helps.

Default Yeah... I'm feeling more confident....

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bound View Post
    I have a 4hp. evinrude "yahtsman" (1974) I believe and the operators book that comes with it and it says that it will weep or shoot a mist out the holes on the shaft. Mine does the same as yours. I have run it quite a bit and think the same as you do with whether its working correctly or not but according to the book it is. Hope that helps.
    ... between your response and Mainer's.

That about describes what the little motor is putting out.

My johnson is putting out less of a stream as I get older too.

... between your response and Mainer's.

That about describes what the little motor is putting out.

My johnson is putting out less of a stream as I get older too.
    I wouldn't recommend running wire up the hole on that particular model!
    I suspect that there are some additives that could help with the flow, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.