Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are you guys buying...

Default Where are you guys buying...

your hunting clothing?? Sportmans in Anc. is sad at best and worst case senerio I will order through Cabelas or such but hate to buy without trying items on first. Just looking for some good camo pants and might be talked into another jacket but it's looking a little grime for selection...

A lot of us don't really use camo. There are some threads in the gear forum about camo and such, but speaking personally, I buy a lot of my gear from places like Sierra Trading Post or whoever else has gear on crazy sale. It's also worth watching steepandcheap.com and camofire.com for deals, but that's not predictable. But hey, my hunting pants are $10 and come from Old Navy, so I'm probably not the best guy to give advice.

That being said, on a local level, Barneys and Wiggys both carry high quality camo gear.
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-29-2010 at 22:59.

eBay
    Campmor

Default Old school

Value Village/Salvation Army/Bishops Attic.
    Cheap, expendable... sometimes some high quality stuff too. Also military surplus is good.
    I use my savings for fuel, food and ammo.

Default Camo

Camo is not really a priority, for most hunting. I do by some, if its suits my needs, andc would buy more if my wife actuallly thought it was sexy. I love my camo winter fleece(about $160) and it kept me warm during my Nov got hunt. If I do by camo, its normally cheap, I buy allot of normal fleece real cheap. I bought some pull overs at kohl's clearance rack for 3 bucks a piece, Fleece jammies makes great long johns. I would rather spend my money on boots, tents and airplane fuel. I just cant see my self to spending real high dollars on sitka gear, but I did get a great deal on some under armor. Dont be in a hurry and shop around.

Terry

I do 100% of my clothing shoping at the Salvation Army.I enjoy getting the big name stuff for a quarter or fifty cents.

Sierra Trading Post, Campmor, or other sites that are running a discount at the time. One thing to check when buying online is to run a google search for any coupon codes at the store you are buying from. More often than not they have a 20% off code or free shipping or something else that saves money. But yeah STP with their constant 25%-30% off their already discounted prices is pretty hard to beat.

Garage Sale season is coming up soon too. You can find all sorts of treasures at those for sure. I have seen everything from Barneys packs to Swaro spotting scopes before.

I keep an eye on CamoFire.com Haven't bought anything from them, but the prices for quality gear seems like a pretty good deal.

Default Camofire Rocks!

I've bought several items from them, and they are excellent to deal with. Lighting fast shipping and very good customer service.

Good deals for guys who wear Smalls, Med, or XXL or larger. Too bad I don't fit in that category! lol

Jake

+1 what snakeyjake says. I've bought through Camofire a couple of times. Great products, great prices, and fast service. I bought a pair of Sitka Celcius bibs for $110. Thats well over 50% off. Go to their site and register. They have a daily special. Not always something you need or want, but sooner or later they will have something just for you. Knute

Default Non traditional - mostly

Shirts - Cabela's microtex - in Outfitters Camo (you've got to dig around right now to find it online, I think they are rearrainging things); LL Bean Upland briar shirt (non blaze orange); and I've just ordered the LL Bean Technical Upland shirt. The LL Bean shirts run big - I wear a large Cabela's shirt but medium in LL Bean. These are by far the best "outdoors" shirts that I've ever worn.

Pants - Cabela's microtex - in Outfitters Camo; LL Bean technical upland pants, and I really don't know what I would take if going on a mountain hunt - probably a Sitka ascent pant. I have not found the best "outdoors" pants yet. The LL Bean ones are close, but just not quite there.

Jacket - I've got a "mushroom/kaki" colored Cabela's fleece with windstopper - love it.

T-shirts - white athletic ones - whatevers on sale, Russell, Nike, etc.
    Underdrawers - UnderArmor boxer briefs

Socks - all things merino wool with a little Lycra - usually two pairs Smartwool light hikers at a time.

Cap - Outdoor Research, OD green.

Rainwear - Helly Hansen Impertech - what else?

Boots - right now I've got a pair of Lowas, what they are calling the Uplander. Next pair will probably be the Hunter GTX, but I might also try the Miendl boots from Cabelas. Also, the LaCrosse Hip boots - who doesn't have these? I tried the Schee-type boots on my caribou hunt and hated them - NO ankle support once they got damp.

Most of this has been to Alaska and Wisconsin either hunting, fishing, or sight seeing, and it works. Admittedly, only in September, but I'm heading up again the end of May.

Notice, not heavy into camo, no cotton, and very little wool. If Cabela's made their microtex in something other than camo, I'd have it. Most game can't see colors, but most camo looks too dark when seen at a distance. Medium colors are best.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Value Village/Salvation Army/Bishops Attic.
    Cheap, expendable... sometimes some high quality stuff too. Also military surplus is good.
    I use my savings for fuel, food and ammo.
    Winnah Winnah Chicken Dinnah!!

Me too. VV and whoever sold me my Carharts
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I try to pick up stuff on sale at Boondocks in Eagle River/B&J Commercial in Anchortown. I've scored a few deals on hunting clothing at gun shows too, believe it or not. I don't like buying without trying on either. I occasionally check Value Village when I'm dropping off donations. Haven't scored any good gear but got some descent carharts and a seahawk jersey!

Tim

For camo clothes I shop Sportmans and Cabelas when I head to Missouri during Christmas.

Local shops other than Sportman's that carry camo are Mt. View Sports, Barney's, and Boondocks.

Other stores I like to shop for hunting and outdoor clothes: REI, AMH, and Sports Authority. I like camo when I'm hunting but it's definately not essential, that's where these stores fit in.

nomar in homer has some hunting clothes and they are made right there at there shop in town www.nomaralaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Shirts - Cabela's microtex - in Outfitters Camo (you've got to dig around right now to find it online, I think they are rearrainging things); LL Bean Upland briar shirt (non blaze orange); and I've just ordered the LL Bean Technical Upland shirt. The LL Bean shirts run big - I wear a large Cabela's shirt but medium in LL Bean. These are by far the best "outdoors" shirts that I've ever worn.

Pants - Cabela's microtex - in Outfitters Camo; LL Bean technical upland pants, and I really don't know what I would take if going on a mountain hunt - probably a Sitka ascent pant. I have not found the best "outdoors" pants yet. The LL Bean ones are close, but just not quite there.

Jacket - I've got a "mushroom/kaki" colored Cabela's fleece with windstopper - love it.

T-shirts - white athletic ones - whatevers on sale, Russell, Nike, etc.
    Underdrawers - UnderArmor boxer briefs

Socks - all things merino wool with a little Lycra - usually two pairs Smartwool light hikers at a time.

Cap - Outdoor Research, OD green.

Rainwear - Helly Hansen Impertech - what else?

Boots - right now I've got a pair of Lowas, what they are calling the Uplander. Next pair will probably be the Hunter GTX, but I might also try the Miendl boots from Cabelas. Also, the LaCrosse Hip boots - who doesn't have these? I tried the Schee-type boots on my caribou hunt and hated them - NO ankle support once they got damp.

Most of this has been to Alaska and Wisconsin either hunting, fishing, or sight seeing, and it works. Admittedly, only in September, but I'm heading up again the end of May.

Notice, not heavy into camo, no cotton, and very little wool. If Cabela's made their microtex in something other than camo, I'd have it. Most game can't see colors, but most camo looks too dark when seen at a distance. Medium colors are best.

Your wearing the wrong color of camo if it looks dark at a distance and as for the animals being color blind...again you dont buy it for the color...it breaks up your outline. Have hunted most every midwest state and wouldnt be with out it. Unless your taking a far distance shot it is needed. Hunt without it and then with it and you will see the difference.

But hey, my hunting pants are $10 and come from Old Navy, so I'm probably not the best guy to give advice.
    Brian, you mean these

Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Fairbanks Hints

I am probably the king of dumpster diving into the recycling bins. Many times when the troops(I wish we could keep most of them) rotate out they leave bdus and extra stuff at the centers.

Beaver sports has one clearance sale like the second week or third week in June. I kill that sucker. There is a lot of greenie wear for cheap. Arteryx, Ibex wool, Patagonia, and mountain hardware gear for clearance prices. Mostly there are tons of women at the sale but its one of the times that I actually hit it hard.

I have had luck with Christmas clearance from Cabelas and steepandcheap.com. I also periodically hit the clearance racks at the wooley rhino and at SW.

I have been less into garage sales up here. They are a lot of work to do effectively. You tend to get lots of junk. They are good for picking up fishing tackle.

Value Village is pretty well cleaned of the good stuff up here. I think people go through it once per week.

These are just my perceptions so take them as you may.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I get my stuff from the u.s army well it is issued to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast