View Poll Results: Do you use braided line in combat fishing situations?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I only use mono, your asking for trouble.

29 53.70%
  • Yes, I like the stronger line.

14 25.93%
  • Doesn't matter, I'll use what ever I have.

11 20.37%

Thread: braided in combat

Default braided in combat

Just wondering, I have heard a few state that they don't use braided line in combat fishing situations. What are your thoughts on the matter?

I use it. I don't really see any conflicts with using it. It's a lot more of a pain in the ass to untangle, but retying only takes a few seconds.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

the only problems ive encountered with braided is that fishing over logs and whatnot seems to frey the line... that and knots slipping, easily fixed using the right knot

I voted no b/c of the tangles. Mainly when you tangle with others. If you just snip it then I agree with the above poster about his liking it. To often I find that the person with braided line wants to untangle it though. Braided line is expensive I guess I always dislike waiting while that happens. I could just cut the line, but I would rather just try to be polite and wait. When I have fished it, I also find that it tangles around my eye guides often. On snags it sucks too as it's hard to break, you have to remember it braided and keep your hands clear, and when you lose some.......well it actually is expensive. I like braided line for deep fishing in the ocean. I don't like it in combat fishing zones for either myself or most others.

The tangles are what pisses me off... If I see someone using it when I walk up to a spot, I just keep walking. I don't care how good the fishing is.

I used braided every day at Ship Creek last year and I would say I was there 30+ days between king and silver season. Yes braided sucks if you get tangled but I can't remember that many times I got tangled and had to cut the line. I can only remember once when I was tangled with another person, they cast over me so wasn't my fault but as soon as we both reeled in I told him to just cut my line, not going to wait while someone tries to untangle a braided line lol, just throw me my lure after you cut the line. For me it's just what I know. I was told to get braided when I first started fishing up here and so I am just used to it. I'll probably use mono more for non king fishing this year if I'm not using the fly rod.

I agree with the tangling issue, but what I like about using braid in combat situations is you can use a nice high pound test and get the fish in quicker than you can sometimes with mono. I use 50 lb. test braid which is about equivalent to 12 lb. mono. With 50 lb. test line and a good stout rod often times you can avoid the tangles because you're able to just crank your fish in quickly. I know that defeats the "fun of the fight" but that's not usually what it's all about in combat fishing.

Personally I use braid when bottom bouncing but don't have any issues with crowds because I avoid them like the plague. I keep at least 40 or 50 feet from the next nearest angler and if I can't get that much room I don't fish there.

Default TENSION is your friend....

As soon as you learn this valuable pearl for yourself, you will be amazed at how easily braid can be de-tangled.

I run as many as seven rods on my boat, and each one is loaded with braid. Tangles happen, esp with newbies that don't understand the subtleties of deploying gear.

Keep light tension on the braid while you are working on it. The instant you relax that tension, the lack of body in the braid allows it to instantly wad up again. Multiply the wadding factor 10-fold if one rod tip is shaking while you are trying to de-tangle.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering, I have heard a few state that they don't use braided line in combat fishing situations. What are your thoughts on the matter?

50 -100 lb Braided is the ONLY thing to use in Combat zones.....

light mid floating gear... long cast...slow newbie jerking retrieves and 10 or so buddies fishing up stream from you... after tangle is out... rotate lineup combat fishing requires Offensive strategies
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I prefer braided because it helps me feel the strike better than mono. I don't like the tangles so I'll park myself in an area with less fisherman and work at keeping with their casting rythm to keep the tangles to a minimum. I also will cut my line to help speed up the untangling process.